Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Hey guys, have had these site bookmarked for a bit. I found them very usefull when I dyed some for my 1st time.

http://www.bearsandbuds.com/webzine/HandDyed.asp

http://www.woolworks.org/dyeing.html ( this one has a chart as to what flavor gives what color)

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall02/FEATdyedwool.html (this one does a great picture chart of what flavor turns what color

enjoy!!!!

Heather

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Yay!  :dance: Thanks Heather - I'm going to have fun reading these!

Here's the link again, to the uk site that sells Kool-aid, in case anyone misses it in the other thread:  http://www.americansweets.co.uk/KoolAid.htm .

Marion Acid Attic Bears
Versailles

Oh !!! Thanks a lot !!! That's GREAT ! I think I will play with these colorful things very soon !!!!  :dance: :dance:

Marion Acid Attic Bears
Versailles

That's done !:D Thanks Helena for the link,  the shipping cost were not too high for France :). I will have reds, I will have REDS ! Yay ! :dance:
(Red rules bear_laugh  :lol:)
I'm happy for the day bear_laugh.
Thanks again, girls : you are wonderful !

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Thanks Heather...I've added them to favourites to read late...I've just bought a heap of white mohair to try dying on  bear_rolleyes  Think it will be fun, but can imagine getting into a huge mess and wasting lots of money  :doh: lol
So what would Kool Ade be in australia?  Does anyone know if we have unsweetened cordial here in powder form????  hmmmm.....

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

I don't think we do Sarah....

Danni

Densteds Densteds
Website

Hi Sarah & Danni,
just found this Oz website they sell kool aid & other US grocery items.

http://www.usafoods.com.au/prod.php?cat=11

hugs,
Denise.

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

How could you guys not have kool-aid?? Wow, I just assumed that it sold everywhere.
Same as Gina, I'll send you some in the mail as well if you like. Although, one article says you can use easter egg dyes, and maybe even food coloring. Lots of options.
Heather

Australia

Thanks Denise  :thumbsup:
I think I will have fun looking at all the USA food  :angel:
I've had twinkies and I think ho hos sent here from an american friend and I sent over tim tams and cadbury chocolate.  It was fun bear_original

Thanks Gina and Heather for the offer...I will have a close look at the shops and see if we have an equivelent first...and maybe just using dye will work lol...probably be cheaper once you add postage etc lol...

Is that the only reason to use Kool Ade??? the price???
Very interesting lol

hugs sarah  bear_flower (ooooo...I love the pretty rose  :dance::)

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

yeah, I used kool-aid because it's very cheap, non toxic and can be found anywhere. At least here in Canada.
You might want to try and drink mix powder that has color.
I wonder what interesting food you guys have in Australia. I love to see food from other countries. Soo interesting.
Heather

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Heather,  you should try Vegemite, thats interesting  bear_tongue

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Mmm ... Vegimite - or Marmite (as Jane says, the "grown up version of Vegimite, but I think it's all the same stuff!)  You spread it on REALLY thick - like peanutbutter - go on, try it  bear_grin   :twisted:   :twisted:   :twisted:

Danni  bear_innocent  bear_flower

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

You guys are MEAN!!!!!!!!! :twisted:
I'm a vegitarian, so I've tried both, Vegimite and thru my english friend Marmite. She loved that stuff. Put it on rice cakes. Ewwwwwww!!!
You yes, you are mean, because that stuff is NASTY!!! LOL
Spread it on thick like peanut butter....... bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin Sooo gross
But thanks for sharing  :redface:
Heather

Australia

lol about the vegimite lol  bear_grin horrid stuff  bear_tongue  I think the best thing to try from here would be tim tams...lovely chocloate biscuits...one of the girls I sent them to wants another order lol bear_tongue
I checked the cordial isle today at the shops...no drink mix  bear_sad and the only blue drink they had was gatoraide lol.  I looked at the dye packs and they are quite expensive... Does anyone know if food dyes work????
Got a huge 1 and a half meters of white mohair today and can't wait to dye in different colours...just don't want to spend heaps if I want to try 8 different shades....
thanks all  :hug:  bear_innocent

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Actually, it's my personal opinion -- arrived at JUST NOW -- that "spreads" are one of the ways countries and continents maintain separate identities.

You've got your array of peanut butters, for the North American types (chunky, creamy, old fashioned.)  And then, for the northern Europeans, there's Nutella; a chocolate spread flavored with that favorite German nut, HAZEL.  Last, for the Down Under/Kiwi types, you've got your Vegimite (what on earth is Marmite?  It sounds like some kind of large rodent.)

Am I missing anyone? 

Laughing here...

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

what is vegimite and marmite???  they mention that vegimite in some song from a long time ago "I come from a land down under"- crap I think it was sung by Toto???

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Not TOTO... MEN AT WORK.  bear_laugh

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

LOL - that is who it was - you know the song then - it talks about a vegimite sandwich!  bear_grin

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Marmitejarfront2.jpgstatic-vegemite001.jpgI beleive vegimite and marmite are yeast products. Maybe someone can correct me???
They are a dark brown paste, and smell really strong.
Ahh, found this

Vegemite (pronounced "VEH-gee-mite", IPA: ) is the registered brand name for a dark brown, salty food paste mainly used as a spread on sandwiches and toast, though occasionally used in cooking. Popular in Australia and New Zealand—Vegemite is semi-jokingly called one of Australia's national foods—it is seldom found elsewhere

And this for Marmite

Brand name of a concentrated dark brown yeast-extract paste with an assertively salty flavor (though less so than its cousin VEGEMITE) and a slightly sweet undertaste.

Sound good?? LOL

Heather

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Actually, it does sound good.  Anything aggressively salty has my vote. 

But I have yeast paste in my house already; growing underneath my electric toothbrush, in a thick, coagulated mass, aided in its colony expansion by the constantly warm/moist/dark environment there.  So maybe I should just spread THAT on my bread...?

Do you toast the bread first?

Have these people ever tried peanut butter?

Cracking up here... Thanks for the info.  bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin

ellen ontario, canada

*gaggy*
bear_tongue

Deb Upstate New York

Shelli ~

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Oh my, shelli you have me almost crying here!  EWW, I got a mental picture...

I decided that I dont plan on trying vegimite or marmite - kind of like sushi!

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_sad bear_tongue I feel queasy . . .

Ozzies: do you have Ribena? The red currant juice concentrate? Yummy--and beautiful, too. There's no reason a dye needs to be powdered, is there?

Does anybody remember the Vitameatavegamine episode of I Love Lucy?

Eileen

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Yuck!   bear_grin  bear_grin

Board footer