Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

mickeyflip Sunshine Coast, QLD

I don't post much - a bit of a lurker!  But I am just so cranky I could scream!

For the second time now I have received an order of supplies from a supplier (I wont defame anyone yet) and one set of eyes is smashed!   :doh: They were quite carelessly packaged - just in plastic ziplock bags, in a larger bag with two sets of locknut joints and an unpadded post bag.  Is it just me or is that lazy?!

The same company has sent me locknut joint sets before and left out the nuts.  I don't really have the income for this kind of hobby and I can only buy supplies once in a blue moon - so I can't afford to keep ordering new stuff because my original order was incomplete or broken!

I doubt I'll be returning to this particular supplier - haven't been overly happy with the quality of their furs of late either.

Has this sort of thing happened to anyone else?!  Or do I just have spectacularly bad luck?!   bear_cry

- Erin

Natascha LeftyBears by Natascha Sabo
Remchingen

Have you already send a complaint to that supplier? If your order has been incomplete or damaged they should replace the damaged or missing things!

If they refuse to replace anything just look yourself for a new supplier. 

And about your money problem: I used to have this myself and and I too started buying from cheap suppliers to save money but I, too, had to realise that the things I bought there were not really good.
So, in the end I decided to buy the more expensive but better supplies and to save money I just made my bears smaller.  For me this was a perfect soution of the problem, maybe it is perfect for you, too?

FenBeary Folk FenBeary Folk
Pointon Fen, Lincolnshire, UK

Erin, you have my sympathy, I too am on limited funds, I just buy when I can and have found ebay invaluable for faux fur, if you cut through the rubbish there are some great offcut to be had, I found a great lady (in the UK though) she makes beautiful expensive -to me, bridal wear (worth every penny) and she sells her remnants to recoup her costs, so thing lateraly and certainly complain to the supplier, any supplier worth their salt will replace free of charge and apologise, threaten to tell the teddy bear world, who are your friends bear_thumb hopefully that should speed them into action, good luck :hug:

Thanks guys!  After waking up this morning it occurred to me that I'd posted this in the completely wrong place.  Nice one!  :doh:

I did send an email of complaint last night, so I will let you all know how I get on.  It's so frustrating living where I do because there aren't any little shops I can go to and buy supplies.  I'm sure I'm not alone here - doesn't it feel SO much better to be able to feel and see the items in person than just looking at a photo?!  Lincraft is just pathetic even for just little bits and bobs, and I haven't tried Spotlight yet because it's further away and my fiance just LOVES craft shops  bear_tongue

The bears I make usually are small, but every now and then I do splurge on a big one.  Our main problem is that we're saving for our wedding so every cent saved counts at the moment!

Erin, know what you mean about no little shops as we live in the middle of nowhere and our 3 local towns (all about 20 miles away) do not have supply shops at all, I do all my shopping via the internet (at about 7am, he's gone to work  bear_thumb )
I did persuede him to take me to my first fair last weekend but OMG we spent 2 hours looking round bear_angry , way too much time  bear_angry and we spent money on some fur........have I not got enough already..............NO..... I only have a small box  bear_whistle
A note on mohair have you tried www.loubear.com, they are in South Africa, I have just recieved free samples and they are lovely. The big bonus is FREE delivery (it's included into the price of the material) so you can only order a small amount and for me the prices are cheaper than the prices in the Uk

Getting married aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh, good luck, if you are young here's a piece of wisdom from a 40 going on 41 year old who has been married over 19 years, have a nice wedding but don't go mad because years down the line you will remember it as a special day whether it costs $2000 or $20,000, its the people who make it great and memorable, if per-chance you are older, then just ignore me :hug:

I'm glad I'm not the only one suffering!  It kind of feels better to know there are more people out there like me crying out for local suppliers!  Maybe I should open one myself...hmmm....

I've mentioned a show or two to my fiance and I'm sure if I really wanted to go he would definitely take me, but by the time it rolls around I'll have forgotten about it and it'll be too late.  My fault really I suppose, but he would have a horrible time!

Sue, thank you so much for recommending loubear!  Having read it on your post I do recall seeing someone mention it before but it just didn't register.  I've just had a look and you're right - it is quite a bit cheaper!  I've emailed them for a sample kit so we'll see how I go.  Thank you again!  I'm all excited now!  bear_tongue

Have a lovely evening/night/day ladies, and thank you!  :hug:

Gosh I forgot to mention the wedding!  We're young I suppose - 24.  We're looking at September/October next year and are trying to do it as economically as possible without missing out on anything we have our heart set on.  Thankfully so far our favourites have all been the cheapest (SO unlike us!).  You only get to do it once, so we figured we might as well have what we want now and regret nothing later :)

You are so right about the cost though - it doesn't really matter what you have as long as you invite those closest to you.   bear_wub

Glad you like Loubears, I haven't bought anything yet but budget this month went when we went to the fair bear_grin the samples took 10 days to arrive so no too bad
You may be semi- young but you seem to have your head on the right way with regards to the wedding, our biggest saving was the reception -we hired a village hall and got my mums friend of a friend to do the catering (buffet), she did a great job with the food, it all cost about a third of the price of a hotel etc doing it and a very big bonus we had 130 guests to the day do and 300 came at night, which made it a great party bear_thumb but shopping around is the best thing you can do :hug:

Board footer