Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Kilde Posts: 186

I'm working on an open mouth bear right now and I would love to give him a wet-looking tongue and lips. I have made the tongue and the lips in pink and black felt but I was thinking that adding a wet look to his tongue and lips would give him a more natural look.

Any ideas??  bear_original

greatwon2 AlmostBears
Tasmania

varnish or nail polish?? maybe even a glue that drys clear??...id just experament with scraps of fabric to see what gives that shiny wet look....
what a great idea tho bear_thumb

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I got some stuff from a taxidermy store called Jawjuice...for doing just that.I haven't used it yet.You can get a kind of crystal gel from doll making suppliers...they use it for tears and stuff...you could try that.

I though about varnish or glue too - I use that a lot for quilt projects that needs to stiffen...but I'm afraid that it will stiffen too much or crack.

Jawjuice? What a yaki name  :crackup:  :crackup: I haven't heard of that before but I have a link at home to a taxidermist. It sounds like the right thing to use.  bear_thumb

Thanks both of you  :hug:

StarHawk2003 VallierBears
Shropshire

I've been doing a search for the JawJuice stuff for about an hour. I then just found it a brand of it called Mohr Jaw Juice. If anyone else is having a little problem, try looking for the Mohr brand Jaw Juice :)

Richy~

Edit: Just found this link. Read the section posted under "Careful with Jaw Juice"

http://www.taxidermy.net/forums/Gamehea … B8B78.html

It says that Jawjuice is a "destructive adhesive" and that it melts down plastic?  bear_ermm  If it can melt plastic it can melt felt as well I guess  bear_cry

I did a search too on the crystal gel Jenny mentioned and came up with something called 3D Crystal Lacquer. It is acid free and is used by doll makers for shiny lips and eyes on dolls. It is not too expensive so I think I will order a bottle and see how it turns out (better try it on scraps first...  bear_grin )

I found this place in the UK that carries 3D Crystal Lacquer: http://www.celcrafts.co.uk/CrystalArtPics.htm (top left corner)

Just a thought....if the gel is that shiny, it should be great for bear noses too? I hate waxing noses - they look lumpy and feel greasy afterwards....definately worth trying this gel, I think  bear_smile

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I don't think the Jaw Juice I have melts things ...it's designed to use with the jaw sets that taxidermists use...if it melts wool felt I'd be surprised...but I haven't used it yet!!!

Board footer