Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Deb Upstate New York

I’ve stepped away from the bear before for my sake, but never for the bear’s sake until this morning.  I was seriously worried I’d hurt her (yes, intentionally).

I wasn’t going to try &%$ eyelids, but changed my mind.  Couldn’t pull leather through with 10” doll needle.  Had leather crimped to the needle eye hoping it would pull through.  HA!  Got the bottom in and glued in place.  Top is in on one side, dangling on the other.  Looks stupid anyway.  I don’t like it.  Eyelids are retarded.  :mad:

There … I feel better.

Grrrrrrrrr!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin
At least you didn't stab it to death and chop it into a million pieces!

Here's a big   bear_smile  :hug: !

Feel better! it's just eye lids. Take 'em off and the bear will be just as happy and cute!  :dance:

Daphne

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

:twisted: Go girl! Its best to get it out of your system. I have'nt tried corded eyelids yet, so you are braver than me. I have just finished the head of a green bear with doll eyes and needlefelted eyelids. I have never done a green bear before so we shall see what people think of coloured bears.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Oh, Amanda, I'm working on a green bear too. We'll have to post our photos when we're done. It's my first green bear. I've done a pale gray/green bear but never true green. I'm not even sure I'm going to like him!! The backing is a strange color of green unlike the mohair. We shall see.....

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

There is something to be said for head chopping...  :redface:

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

oh boy Deb..lol...I know that frustration.. :twisted:
Do you all know of the plastic eyelids?  They are made from soft plastic and look really good.  Don't know if Intercal has them but know Beary Cheap does (and i allowed to say that...)  :doh:
I have a pic on my website of Rufus...he has them in.
Hope it works for you Deb....otherwise big hug and feel better  :hug:

Oh and Daphne and Amanda I love green bears...My mums favourite colour so I make them for her.  I have one on my gallery and then willow flutter bear that I just made. 
Can't wait to see yours  bear_innocent

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I had a tough time with leather cording but devised my own way, I just superglue the cording right onto the eye and mohair and slightly tuck the end behind the eye..... my newest bear Paige has them done that way...

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Don't forget, you can always make polymer clay eye lids. Take a ball of polyclay that's a little bigger than the eye, place the eye on top and press. The poly clay should squish out from under the eye and give you some good, simple eye lids. You can also play around with it the clay and sculpt a bit, or just do it the easy way, I mentioned above.
Heather

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

That is a good idea heather, maybe I will try that out too... I love to experiment!!! I feel like a little kid :dance:

Deb Upstate New York

Heather ~
So do you take the eye out before you bake?  Or bake eye with the clay?

I've been thinkin' and thinkin' all day and I think I have a solution for this one.  I hope so!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I would think you would keep the GLASS eye in - not if you are working with plastic obviously LOL... When you bake fimo it is at a lower temperature... i think, from memory it is 275?

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

If you are using glass eyes, you can bake them just fine. You bake poly clay at such a low temp, that I often sculpt on an index card and bake that. So, if you can bake an index card, the glass eyes will be fine. This way, you can experiment with all sorts of eye lids, without having to attach it to the bears head 1st.
Any issues, let me know. I'll be happy to help as best I can.
Heather

Deb Upstate New York

Perhaps next teddy won't have to suffer such horrible abuse.   bear_thumb

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Deb!!! Are you sure you should'nt maybe try wood chopping instead of bears!!? They carve with chainsaws these days bear_grin bear_grin bear_thumb

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Cool idea about the poly clay...have made noses but never eyelids and will have to try it out.. thanx bear_smile  bear_flower

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Deb, Do like I do, if you get frustrated, walk away and come back when you are calm - believe me, it will work out a lot easier that way - dont give up, dear bear_original

Board footer