Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I think we're long overdue for a non-bear, digital challenge here.  Don't you?  So let's remedy that. 

Announcing the Teddy Talk WINTER WONDERLAND graphic design challenge!

Here's what you do:

1.  Create a digital graphic according to the THREE parameters below (palette, tidbits, dimensions)
2.  Upload that image to this thread and show us your hard work and great results.  Return to this thread for help and with questions.
3.  Post your graphic to the CHALLENGE GALLERY, here:  http://www.teddy-talk.com/gallery.php?cid=15
4.  Get excited, because the holiday season is upon us!

==================================================================================================
PARAMETER ONE -- The palette
This palette is called MAGICAL WINTER and it was designed by user SkyWookiee at www.ColourLovers.com
You must use ALL of the colors from this palette in your design.

Magical_Winter.png

==================================================================================================
PARAMETER TWO -- The tidbits
You must use ALL of the following tidbits in your design:

1.)  A snowflake
2.)  An image of one (or more) of your teddy bears...OR, a royalty-free image of a teddy bear (please don't use copyrighted images)
3.)  Some holiday text (poem, greeting, story, title, etc.)

PARANETER THREE -- The dimensions
Please design your graphic so that it will measure:

72 ppi
Width:  500 pixels
Height:  300 pixels

You can also RIGHT CLICK>VIEW IMAGE>SAVE AS on the black rectangle, below, if you'd like to use it as a template for your work.

WINTER-WONDERLAND-template.jpg

Here's a sample image to get your design engined jump-started.

SampleGraphic2.jpg

SampleGraphic3.jpg

Pumpkin & Pickle Bears Pumpkin & Pickle Bears
East Sussex

Hmmm, I'd LOVE to do one but would I need a photo editing program such as photoshop to do this?? I only have photo filtre.......sorry, I'm not good with these things!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

You can use any image editing program such as, yes, Adobe Photoshop, CS, CS2, or CS3... or Photoshop Elements.  I'm not an expert with this by any means and don't know what Photo Filtre does.  It might indeed do the job for you.  In the examples I posted I used the features:  text, color select, image import/move, and layers.

Other programs that come to mind include PaintShop, and GIMP, which is free.  Click here to find it.  http://www.gimp.org/about/   My understanding is that it's very powerful, but not terribly easy to learn.

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Hi Gemma,

I only have PhotoFiltre also and have participate in Shelli's challenges before.  Here is a link to their tutorials that might help.

http://lmquettier.free.fr/listing.html

Nancy Tillberg use to have a link on her website which is where I originally downloaded my version but I'm not sure if she still has it.

It's fun to play with it...frustrating...annoying...makes me want to throw my computer right out the window...but fun.   bear_grin

Shantell

cjsmum Happy Little Souls
Sydney

Wow, I love the idea of this challenge, great to stretch the mind a bit!

Shelli, is Xmas the deadline or a little earlier?

I've just finished a new pattern for a Christmas helper that would fit quite nicely with that colour scheme (he was an inspiration I had whilst trying to do a Halloween challenge piece- that I have not even come close to finishing yet!) but it will be a little time before he comes to life in the "fur"!

Cheers
Mel

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

I didn't set a specific deadline in the hope we can casually contribute to this through the entire winter season.

This is a digital challenge, not a bearmaking challenge, so you can feature new bears you've made in your graphic image, or feature older work.  The challenge part is the digital, image editing part, and not the bearmaking part... although if you wanted to do both, I'd give you extra props for your effort!

bear_original

Sydney

This is a digital challenge, not a bearmaking challenge, so you can feature new bears you've made in your graphic image, or feature older work.

That sounds good Shelli, you know when you just get an idea that you have to do, it just seemed to tie in with the theme  bear_original But maybe an old friend might join the fun too!

Sydney

Well, well, well,

My little avatar wanted to have go before I went and did some sewing for the day.

Here is Bosley in all of his Christmas glory

hls_digi_card1.jpg

Can't wait to see more little Christmas friends soon.

Stellajella Wien

Shelli, what a smashing idea!!!! :hug:  :hug:
I´ll try to come up with something!

Oh, and of course yours put the measure quite up high!!!

Gaby bear_flower

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Bosley is AWESOME!!!  Your image is so pretty and I love the verse you've chosen to use.  Thanks for posting your work to the Gallery, too!

Marion Acid Attic Bears
Versailles

Great challenge ! Thanks Shelli !  :hug:
Those images are lovely !

Here is a little submission of mine (featuring a little 7'' bear called Jacques, made for a shop in Germany) :

110_1192131869.jpg

Hugs !

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Gorgeous!  JACQUES is perfect for a winter-y graphic.  His cool colors really beautifully compliment the cool palette on this one.

elle Ellifolks
Eastern Ma.
Website

TTWinterChallengenewBorder7.jpgOK, Shelli  bear_grin  You gave me an excuse to try to learn a little about how to work with Photoshop.  Lots of fun, and I learned a lot -- still having trouble trying to control some things.   :whistle:

This is Merilotte (2 3/4") on Elliphant (2 1/2").

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

All very cute. I love to look at these challenge entries and wish I could join...but I just don't get it (PS Elements) yet. You do keep inspiring me to learn, though.

denisepurrington Out Of The Forest Bears
Seattle
Website

These are wonderful.  Can't wait to do one.
Great idea Shell.
Holiday Hugs,
Denise  bear_grin

Seattle
Website

winter-wonderland-contest-background-2.jpgJust when I thought I knew what I was doing, I think I resized mine wrong.  It's not so clear now.  I'm hoping it's atleast the correct size.
Thanks again Shelly for the great idea. FUN, FUN, FUN & it was a nice break from the bears.
Can't wait to see more.
Big Hugs,
Denise  bear_grin

Seattle
Website

winter-wonderland-contest-background-3.jpgWell, I had so much fun with the first one....I thought I'd do another.
Time to go to bed.
Big Hugs,
Denise  bear_grin

elle Ellifolks
Eastern Ma.
Website

TTWinterChallengenewTreeColorRocks-copy.jpgOoh, these are all so beautiful!  I love those, Denise.  bear_wub

Here's one with trees added -- (too busy?)

Hugs,

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Hmmn, these digital challenges both intrigue and terrify me!  I've avoided them before, but decided I'd have a go this time ... so, please bear with me!  These are my first fiddlings, I still don't understand Photoshop and did the bulk of the work in my Fireworks programme, but I did venture into Photoshop to see what I can find to play with and made the final tweaks in there ... yay me!  That is one scarey programme!!  bear_wacko

Winter_copy.jpg

.. and with a bit more fiddling ...

Winter2.jpg

Christine Christine Pike Bears
Norfolk, UK
Website

Hey Paula,
I can see you had a play with the filters!!  Really nice composotion. 
There are some great images here - congratulations all of you!! :clap:
Hugs,
Chris

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney
bearlysane Melbourne, Australia

Wow! These are great!
Patsy you have really been working on those computer skills I see! Well done!
Well after seeing all these I just had to have a go ...

WWChallenge.jpg

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

OH These are fabulous!!!!
Patsy, your image with two views of your bear is so creative.They are all really nice bear_thumb I love the Tiddly Pom poem, Paula
I really want to do one, but I am clueless about photoshop and of course I really can't spare a moment to play with it when I should be making my bears for Schaumburg. Maybe when I get back...

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

snowman.jpgI love these digital challenges.  Here's mine.

Kelly Blondheart
Colorado Springs, Colorado

WW-Challenge-pic.jpgI've never really done anything like this before.  I am under by one pixel width both directions...I had to do it to make my border fit, because there was no way I was going to redraw it all.  *Shrugs*

Board footer