Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

I went to a craft show today and saw something, uhm... different.  A lady was selling teddy bears (manufactured ones) that she gently dips in scented soy wax.  She quickly came over to me and asked me to smell one.  I was a bit shocked about the whole thing and wasn't sure what to think.  The fur looked all matted and waxy and there was wax over the bears eyes , like a candle dripped all over it.  Poor little bears.........they would smell pretty in a room , but it  just all seemed  wrong . Has anyone else ever seen this done ??   bear_cry  bear_cry

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

I have been seeing this for several years. I think it is a terrible way to treat a teddy bear......

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

bear_sad  Yes, I have seen them, and think the concept is horribly, horribly wrong!!   bear_cry  I mean, at 'best' here's a poor little bear goeeyed up, at worst, you're tempted to set fire to the poor thing!  bear_sad  bear_cry   

I like cross over crafts, but this is one I wish they'd never thought up.   bear_sad

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Yep! These have been around for years, especially in candle shops in my area. Any and all stuffed items from bears to dogs, cats, beanies...anything they can dip. When done properly they don't really look like they're wax dipped...you shouldn't see drippy, hanging wax fur or waxy eyes at all.  It almost looks like a resin knick knack with a scent.  You do have to protect your furniture, the wax can damage certain finishes.  When the scent goes out you hit it with a hairdryer to revive. 
I don't like the idea of a bear being dipped  bear_shocked (personally I wouldn't dip a bear) , but some of the stuff you can dip in scented wax is pretty cool if you like primitives....clothespins, rag balls, floral items, pinecones, any stuffed item like snowmen, etc.  They make cute Primitive Christmasy items and the smooth surfaces work the best.

:hug:
~Chrissi

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

So for once it is a good thing that here in eastern Canada we are a few years behind the USA  bear_wacko  Maybe this idea won't catch on here and will die a quick death.  I do think I would like those primitive ideas you mentioned Chrissi.  To each his own, but  the poor teddy idea that made me cringe.   bear_ermm

Tynnateddy sault ste marie

Wax Bears I,m not sure if this is the same thing but my hubby last year bought me a waxed bear she,s white and is made all out of wax and does really look like real fur and she is scented with some kind of cinnamon and apples ( my fav !!!! ) I will take a pic tomorrow and show you she,s really cute and yes you can see her eyes !!!!
Hugs Tynna bear_grin

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

I don't think I like the sound of this!!!!  bear_cry

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Hmmm....well whomever did the ones I saw didn't do it right then.  The ones I saw looked like they took a beautifully longhaired bear and literally dipped it in clumpy candle wax.  It was horrid, poor thing looked like it couldn't breathe.   bear_sad

I do love candles themselves, and have seen some beautifully made figures and even abstract candles, but this was one crossover I just didn't care for.  To each their own I guess.  bear_original

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website
Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

How awful - bear_sad
Give me the fluffy cuddly bears anyday thank you!

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

RaggyRat The RaggyRat Company
Weymouth
Website

ive seen them ages back and i hoped they would be all done now
sigh
poor bears !

cat xxxx

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

yes I've heard of it before and think it's terrible, poor teddy bear!

ivuska.h Anavy teddy bears

I've seen this somewhere in the internet some time ago, I tried to google it today and find something - http://www.canwax.shoppingcartsplus.com … 936731.htm, poor little bears  bear_cry

ursidae Posts: 227

If you go to GOOGLE and search for wax dipped bears in the Images search....you'll get a bunch of pics to see.

NOT my thing......but to each their own I guess.

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

I've never heard of this and I wonder who and how anyone came up with this idea. I can't imagine doing something like that to a teddy.

Board footer