Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Kilde Posts: 186

I'm working on my first bunny - just finished the scissor sculpting and shading around the eyes....it took forever but it was loads of fun!    bear_grin

So now the next thing is the bunny nose....I want the nose to be a realistic bunny nose and not a traditional embroidered triangle shape bear nose. With realistic I mean the open "Y" that the nose forms down to the mouth. I looked up a few tips on bunnies in the library but couldn't find anything about how to make the nose. Do you just make the Y-shape going from left over the middle (where the gusset and the 2 head parts meet) and then from the middle over to the right?

I have another question re. the mouth. I would love my bunny to have an indented mouth but is that what you would normally do - and how do you finish the indented mouth?

I have seen a couple of fabulous bunnies here with great noses and mouths...and I have no idea what the mouth looks like, if you look at the bunny from under its chin or from the side....Am i making any sense? Its hard to explain but I hope you know what i mean...  :pray:

ANY help on this would be appreciated, pleeeease....  :pray:  bear_flower

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Thanks, Patsy - thats a cute bunny  bear_original

I understand if you have trouble knowing what I mean - its hard to explain  bear_happy

I know what a real bunny mouth looks like (I have a live bunny  bear_original ). What I meant was how do you finish the indented mouth on a bunny - does it have the traditional V-shape on the sides of the septum? Or do you just make the Y-nose and finish it by making a straight center stitch (septum) down towards the mouth?

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I do kind of a TV aerial.....>-<  (upright).....then its all down to needle sculpting and scissoring...which can take me all day....

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Well, here's one example for a stuffed bunny: bunnyface.jpg

There is no right or wrong way to do it. You are the artist... you can make the nose and mouth how ever you'd like! I have indeed always done little mouths in an upside down V shape.

To finish an indented mouth, which would also be called a 'sculpted' mouth if you are indeed sculpting the mouth with a needle and thread, you'd want to go back and forth through each side of the head with your needle and thread, going in and out of the same holes in the fabric to secure the thread. You could also bring your needle out the back of the neck, make a knot and then pull it through the backing to hide it. Be sure this doesn't change the shape of the mouth if you do it this way. Make any sense? Is this what you were asking?

It makes perfect sense!!  :dance: Thanks, Jenny and Daphne - yes, that was exactly what I meant.  bear_thumb I just didn't know what was going on under the bunnies septum  bear_tongue I do plan to scissor sculpt the indented mouth - I just wasn't sure where to begin.

Jenny, I spent all day scissor sculpting and inserting and shading the eyes. I haven't even started scissor sculpting the cheeks yet ... its very time consuming but lots of fun  bear_grin I'm glad I don't have to make a living making bears, we would all starve to death if depending on an income from bear making!  :crackup:

Thanks again to both of you  :hug:  :hug:

Board footer