Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

JeannieB JeannieB Bears
Greensboro NC

Hi Everyone,
      Just a quick question about fabric. I purchased a yard of upholstery velvet that is marketed for mini bear artists. 
    My bear pattern is a big one, but....I wanted to try this color and texture. It's perfect for what I imagine this bear to look like! 
  Does anyone  use fray block for this material????? It feels strong and has very little stretch. I'm not sure what to do........

Hugs,
           JeannieB bear_original

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

Well Jeannie,  I have made a bigger bear with fabric for little ones. I do not think is nothing wrong about it. The only thing is that you have to be very careful the stitches don't show ( it is shorter fur )  and about to use or not the fray block,  it will not be needed if it is not the fraying kind of fabric, bear_rolleyes  some are not. If it looks like it could be I will water the fray check down a bit and use,  a very fine line, at the edges and let it dry over night. Make sure to see if it will discolor  the fabric  on a scrap before you do it on the the bear.
Hope I was of some help.
I will love to see the bear  when is done.
Bear hugs.
Gladys bear_flower

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

You will be OK without fraycheck. I never use it on my ulpholstery fabric bears. If you are using a sewing machine you will be OK too. If not as Gladys says, keep those stiches small. Good luck.

JeannieB JeannieB Bears
Greensboro NC

Thank you, Gladys and Amanda!  I don't own a sewing machine....but, my hand stitches are tiny and meticulous. That's a good reminder!  I'm off to cut him/her out....no fray block. It takes me several weeks to finish a big bear.
  Gladys,  I'll update this with a picture if it works out good. :photo:

Thank you soooo much ladies!

Hugs,
                  JeannieB bear_original

pma2003 Seamore Collectibles
CT

bear_original
Hello Jennie,

I have never used fray check with upholstery vintage fabric for my miniatures.  Plus just like everone has said use small stitches, try using invisible thread also.

Good luck and please post your bear when you have completed the little one.

JeannieB JeannieB Bears
Greensboro NC

Hi Penney,
         I have sewn the ears and part of the head...I am thrilled to say the little stitches don't show.......so far, so good!  This is a big bear pattern that will be 17" tall...it may take me awhile. I'll post him/her as soon as I finish. Hope it turns out ok...either way I'l post a picture bear_grin

Thanks again for the help!
                 JeannieB bear_original

susiray Bear-Hands
Algarve, Portugal

hi there,
can i ask where is the best place to order upholstery fabric for good price. i live in portugal and everything is so expensive and it would be good to get a yard to use for new designs and save my sassy bear fabric for best. susan  bear_cool

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

I tried ebay Susie. I have a stash of 'cheaper' stuff thats great to use for extra bits, add ons etc to the main bear.

Board footer