Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

duff Deedle Bears
Dallas

I searched but was not able to find much.     

I made a mistake when sewing the body of my latest bear and put the opening on the front of the body.    I normally put the opening on the back of the bear.   Apparently I can not multi task, watch TV and sew at the same time!    bear_tongue

Anyway, I finished stuffing and closed the seam this morning and was shocked that it was much easier to close and the seam is probably the best one I have ever done!       I usually make my bears with a slight concave to the back and I suppose that makes it more difficult to close.      Well...   put it on the front where it is more round and it was so easy to close!

In looking through my books I do not see that any of them do this with the body but several have legs that have the seam on the front (the one piece legs)   For some reason I thought it would be more difficult to do a seam in such a visible area and avoided that style.

Do any of you put the stuffing seam on the front of the bear?  Have you experienced the same thing or was this just a fluke for me?       

So curiosity got the better of me and I thought I would see what you all do?

duff

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

I always leave the back open as you did, can't say I have heard of anyone doing it on the front but it does make sense. Like you I have a concave back and it is difficult at times. I leave the top of the limbs open to stuff as that way the seam is hidden better I feel. I may have to give it a go on the front.

Bev College Place, WA

I alway put my finish seam in the front, and if you look close so does Steiff. We are in good company.  Bev bear_grin

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I always leave the opening on the front of the legs whether one or two piece.  I also make slightly sway-backed bears with humps, so agree that it's a bit more difficult to close the seam in the back.  Hmm - will see how my next bear looks with closing in the front . . . you may have started a trend, Duff.

duff Deedle Bears
Dallas

Interesting...

Patsy - when you say you leave the top of the limbs open, do you mean along the curve?   Wow, never thought of that!    Is the curve hard to sew?

Bev - We are in good company,   After the ease of this last seam I may join you and never go back!

Sue Ann - keep us posted on your next bear.  I am interested to hear what you think.   Also,  what makes you switch between a two piece leg and then a one piece leg?    To save on fabric?  Ease of sewing?   Or is it the look?  (not sure if there would actually be a difference in the look of the two?)     I always thought the front seam to be difficult on a leg but now I am curious and will try the front seam.  Heck - I may even try a one piece leg to boot!

I am looking forward to see if more people weigh in on what they do!

Duff

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Duff I don't find it too difficult but it does hide the seam, just have to make sure there is enough fabric around the disc to sew it up.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I use a two-piece leg when I want bent legs.  Can't do that with one piece.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Most patterns have the openings in the back of everything... body and limbs. Some aren't so great at closing those seams so I suppose it makes them less noticable. It would also, perhaps, make a difference as to the fur pile....... I'd be OK doing front openings with something long, thick or curly...... but NOT something real short and straight!

One piece legs are the death of me... the foot gets in the way when trying to sew up the opening... my bear legs are often sort of short with great big feet so a front opening doesn't work.

It's fun to hear of all the differnt ways to do things.... finding what you are most comfortable with.

I'm going to try leaving the body open in front!! Yup, Duff, you might just have started something! bear_grin

tuppies teddies Tuppies Teddies
Lindenow, Central Gippsland

I leave the body open at the back but with the arms and legs I leave the top open.  The limbs are stuffed and closed off before I attach them to the body..

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

I have my openings in the back of everything ... legs, arms, body.  The Steiff bears are known for using a front closing though, so it's all down to personal preference.  I would say if you can close your front seam professionally, without it spoiling the look of the bear's tummy, then why not?  I've been a back closer all my bear making days, but now that you mention it, a sloped back shaping can make it a more tricky job, so who knows, maybe I'll give a front closing seam a go some day!

kim "a bear by kim"
merseyside

i always leave the opening on the back too.
but i may give the front a go as im quite proud of my ladder stitch so u prob wouldnt be able to tell.
i suppose its all about what works best for you.
now if you have any pointers on stuffing and how i can get out of doing it, or sewing on ears id love you forever!

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

I usually do the opening in the back. But, when I make Music Box Bears, I use the back spot for the velcro and pouch for the music box, so have, out of neccessity, put the stuffing opening in the front. It seems to work very well for me!

Ellen

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

do you mean along the curve?   Wow, never thought of that!    Is the curve hard to sew?

Am I the only one to do this? My limb openings (only did minis) were always at the top of the limbs, for several reasons:
1 - easiest access to placing the cotter pin/washer and to stuff very firmly afterwards, as the tops of my arms helped form the shoulder line and were not set right up under the head.
2 - stuffing very firmly throughout along with the exact placing of weighting materials, as it's like tamping down the inside of a tube from the top instead of attempting to get the stuffing evenly firm down into the palm/foot, up into the shoulder/hip top of the limbs, then stuff the middle section and keep it all evenly inside while working a proper Z-shaped Mattress St.
3 - I found that I always had difficulty getting the needle tip up and out of the seamline to be able to grap the tip while keeping the seam allowances flattened on the inside against the stuffing.
When I stitch around the small, tight curve of a very firmly stitched mini limb, the st is only an 1/8 of an inch long at the most, meaning that most of the needle is always exposed and available to push, direct and pull on.

Board footer