Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

This was posted to Seller Central on Ebay:

1)"eBay UK to Sellers: PayPal Required"

eBay UK is requiring that all sellers on eBay.co.uk offer PayPal on their listings. Sellers will continue to be able to offer other payment methods that are allowed in its Accepted Payments policy, which bans Google Checkout and certain other rival services.

eBay told sellers, "Transactions made using PayPal result in significant reductions in fraud, and having every listing on the site offer a trackable, protected payment option will boost buyers' confidence so that they return to shop with you even more." However, listings in the Motors Vehicles category are exempt from the policy.

According to the announcement, PayPal is currently offered on about 95 percent of listings on eBay.co.uk.

2) Ebay to ban all items that are electronically delivered.  Effective March 31 all goods that can be digitally downloaded or transferred electronically must be listed using the Classified Ads format.   Using the Classified Ads format, sellers receive a 30-day ad at a fixed price of $9.99/month

The changes keep on rolling in.  Apparently, there will be more changes on Ebay in 2008 that in all the years combined so far.  The biggest boycott Ebay has faced so far, begins May 1st!

hugs,

Brenda

Brenda

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Not surprising about requiring PayPal.... I'm guessing that'll be required for all eBay sites before long. Think of all the money eBay makes on fees as they own PayPal!

Greed is such an evil thing. If they aren't careful it'll be the cause of their demise one day.

Kristina Kristina Bears
Edmonton
Website

ETSY HERE I COME!!!!  bear_grin

I don't think I'm going to sell on ebay to much any more. It's just not worth it!
Thanks for the update Brenda!!!!

Kristina

Melisa Nichols Melisa's Bears
Hazelton, BC
Website

This is getting depressing!  Ebay has been a good source of advertising for me... getting to be a bit too much demanding though.  And they don't seem to take the seller much into consideration. 

My mom just started selling her bears on ebay (she hasn't joined TT yet... I'm helping her with her computer adventures).   She sent a package to Australia by small packet surface mail (cheapest way but no tracking number available) as agreed upon but the buyer decided it wasn't getting there quick enough.  Because it was paid through paypal, she put in a dispute before the package even had time to arrive!  And because Mom didn't have a tracking number they didn't even give her a way to say "Can't we wait until the package has time to arrive?"  Crazy!

alveen Posts: 3

Hi Melisa..........just a note to let you know that with small packet post surface (First Class Mail International) for $1:05 you can purchase a certificate of mailing (PS form 3877). Although this doesn't enable tracking it does give proof of posting and the date it was posted. This information may help your Mum in the future. Usually anything posted to me from USA using First Class Mail International arrives within ten days, however from Canada it can take up to three months.

Bear Hugs, Alveen

JAC-Q-LYN Jac-Q-Lyn
Cheshire

Hi Melisa

I have had the same thing happen to me this week, the items were sent Proof of Posting as the customers did not want to have sent insured as they felt it too much, proof of posting has some insurance cover but you do not get a tracking number, as explained to customers, low and behold as it takes upto 10/14 working days (as recommended by Royal Mail as a guide) they put in a direct claim to paypal for a dispute within 7 days saying I would not give them a tracking number.  I have to wait and see now through Royal Mail to check it out if they did get the goods, however if a failed delivery I have "Return to Sender" stickers on the parcels, but it is far too soon for the goods to get back to me yet. What I want to know is how come they did not go through ebay first and not just direct to Paypal for a refund, in all the thousands of goods I have sent I have never had this happen before, but two in two days is just weird, I checked both of their feedbacks and found they leave regular negatives for sellers.......looks like a can of worms has been opened here and we are very vunerable to be left negative feedback to easily and refunds claimed to quickly.  I am seriously considering either not selling mohair overseas or I will insist on the insurance so I can track and trace.  Basically if we cannot defend ourselves and is all in favour of the buyer, what is the point in using eBay as things are only going to get worse and the unscruplious members on ebay will get away with murder.  Before Christmas I put a 10% discount offer on mohair onto my website to encourage people not to use ebay, I give the same service and same protection on purchases as eBay does, but I am passing my saving of charges on to the customer as an incentative.

I really feel sorry for your Mom, as she is new to this, I recommend to everyone these days if you have not got a website get one there are loads of free ones around too, and splash your name around the internet as much as you can to draw people to your site, and only use eBay as and advert if you can.

Good Luck to your Mom.
Hugs
Jacqui

Hi Erin,
     I understand exactly what you are saying.  Ebay can be a lovely place.  I've been VERY LUCKY with my customers and many are repeat buyers.  I think for the most part, teddy bear people are lovely.  I also love the auction premise - it's interesting to watch the bidding.  I won't mail without tracking though, as not to leave myself in a position for a negative or a Paypal complaint. 
     However, if even half of the rumours we are hearing are true, Ebay will barely be recognizable in a year or two.  This new May 1st boycott is gaining momentum quickly, as the word gets spread and more and more sellers are unhappy, and I'm talking about major powersellers.  It is also not being run as a "week long" boycott - this one is open ended.  If Ebay won't rescind the changes about feedback, many sellers are determined to do everything they can to hurt Ebay financially.  Sellers are leaving in droves, and joining other online auction sites.   
     Although Ebay is saying the last boycott didn't affect them, we know by some of the financial columns, that they were down 13 % in sales for that week.  The columists are even saying Ebay should apologize and change the new feedback system.  Good sellers will take their customers with them to new sites, and that's something that Ebay isn't considering.  We have a lot of buyers in our boycott group as well as sellers.   It's going to be a nasty battle.

hugs,

Brenda

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

Since I have had no success selling bears anywhere else, I can do nothing but continue to use Ebay too!! It is a rock and a hard place issue as well. I participate in the boycott and then see that many of our fellow seem to use the opportunity to list their bears during the boycott and boost thier sales while the rest of us are biding our time. I have tried listing on Bid4bears with no success so what else is there???
I know my bears are cute and sell on ebay so unless I want to just make them for myself and fill my house with bears I must continue to use ebay. It's sort of like gasoline, I hate to pay for it, I drive less, but I must have it!!!

Erin,
     I posted about the new changes as when I had a thread on the last Ebay Boycott in February, many members thanked me and asked me to continue, as they didn't know where or how to find out what was happening.   Lots of teddy bear artists sell e-patterns, and I wanted to make sure they knew about the new rules, as  Ebay is now changing things with no major announcements - just sending people warnings and a blurb about the changes, even before the changes are to take effect.
     I totally agree that everyone has to do what's right for them, and it wasn't my intention to cause hard feelings as I really do like Ebay and make most of my sales there, although I have opened an Etsy shop.  In the end, if the boycotts cause Ebay to back off any changes, then it benefits all of us, doesn't it?

hugs,

Brenda

Hazelton, BC
Website
alveen wrote:

Hi Melisa..........just a note to let you know that with small packet post surface (First Class Mail International) for $1:05 you can purchase a certificate of mailing (PS form 3877). Although this doesn't enable tracking it does give proof of posting and the date it was posted. This information may help your Mum in the future. Usually anything posted to me from USA using First Class Mail International arrives within ten days, however from Canada it can take up to three months.

Bear Hugs, Alveen

Hi Alveen,

Thanks for the information.  :hug:  I've asked and asked at my post office and they've never even suggested that option!  According to the ladies at this post office small packet has no other options.  I'll have to ask about that specifically.

Hazelton, BC
Website

I really feel sorry for your Mom, as she is new to this, I recommend to everyone these days if you have not got a website get one there are loads of free ones around too, and splash your name around the internet as much as you can to draw people to your site, and only use eBay as and advert if you can.

Good Luck to your Mom.
Hugs
Jacqui

Thanks Jacqui  :hug: ... I agree about getting a web page and I've been trying to get her to start one.  Even just a basic one would be helpful.

ciderantiques Ciderantiques and Old Soul Bears
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

just a note to let you know that with small packet post surface (First Class Mail International) for $1:05 you can purchase a certificate of mailing (PS form 3877)

Good idea, but unfortunately I don't think this will help to prevent a Paypal charge-back.  Only a tracking number will prevent a paypal chargeback.  Proof of posting isn't enough.   I've tried and lost  bear_sad

That is the dilemma,  low shipping costs do get you more customers . . . but you, as the seller, are taking the risk that the buyer will be both honest and patient.   Claiming an item without tracking did not arrive is the biggest scam on ebay right now .    Paypal is indeed facilitating fraud.  It is the main reason I am no longer a power seller.  I sell many small items.  Paying $18 to track a $15 item just won't be happening bear_sad.   I am tired of people filing claims against me via paypal and getting both the item and shipping for free. Certain countries seem to be worse than others at this scam.

I think ebay is very worried about their current reductions in sales. In the last week I have been sent:
- a Paypal Survey (which is owned by ebay),
- an ebay Survey, and
- I have been offered a 20 minute free telephone consultation with an ebay expert to "market my ebay store and increase sales."   

I have had these 3 emails and 2 automated telephone messages!  Never before have they been chasing me down to make sure I get my Power Seller status back.   I am basically a "Winter Power Seller" and let my status lapse over the summer.  Ebay has never been that interested in the success of my ebay store before.  It certainly makes me think the boycott has worked to some degree.   I think they are scrambling !

Karen

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA
kathytaylor wrote:

I have tried listing on Bid4bears with no success so what else is there???

Etsy
Bear Pile
Bear Shows
Shops

There are other options and just as you likely had to list over and over on eBay to sell and build a following, the same will hold true for any place else. You have to work at making what ever venue you choose work but it can be worth it. Just be sure to notify your collectors as to where else you are selling your bears.... bring them with you. Lots of artists have opened up Etsy shops....... collectors are going to be going there more and more for artist bears. And Bear Pile has a huge bear specific collector base that visits regularly.... the fees aren't bad and they are easy to use! Bear Shows are a great place to build collectors and your mailing list. Maybe selling or placing on consignment in shops is something that would work for you. At the same time, continue to list on eBay until you've found another avenue that works. If you haven't personally had problems with eBay or have over come them and moved on then no one is saying YOU have to boycott them.

Hi Daphne,
     Your post has some great information - thanks!  Another thing that's working for a lot of artists is a Blog instead of a website.  I've seen a lot of blogs that do "mini shows" and it's free and it's fun.  I use Blogspot, and it's really easy.  When I started mine, it seemed a bit like a chore and I wasn't good at updating.  Now, I've really begun realize what a wonderful marketing tool it is and I'm posting more and enjoying it more - it's begun to be a challenge to see if I can attract other artists.  I realize my posts don't have to be long ones, just frequent ones.  I'm thinking of the prospect of a mini show in May.    I believe whatever marketing you do is helpful, and I'm all for using free ones!

hugs,

Brenda

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Please don't forget about Nancy Tillbergs auction site bid4bears as an alternative to e-bay  for selling your bears. I know that many times your bears and mine will not even get a bid but unless we support it and take our mailing lists with us Nancy will not be able to keep on making it available to us. The more we support her site the more traffic it will generate and thus in time more sales
Hugs
Gail

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Brenda - You are inspiring me to blog more. So much time goes by between my blog posts that I forget my log in info! LOL! And I don't feel like it does me a bit of good business wise but then, I really haven't given it a chance!

Gail - Like Kathy posted earlier in this thread re: B4B - lots of us have been there, done that and have no sales to prove it. As you said, we may not get the bids, and we don't. We have to make business decisions, be it eBay, B4B or our own websites as to where we spend our time and money marketing our work. Just because a website, show, shop etc. exists doesn't mean it's going to be successful or it might be right for some, not for others. So, I was just giving Kathy some alternatives to consider as B4B wasn't right for her. I see some artists listing on Nancy's site and I think it's wonderful that she has that support.

Hi Christine,
     Welcome to Teddy-talk and thanks for your post.  You brought up a really good point.   Most sellers (to prevent a Paypal charge-back) are starting to require tracking to protect themselves (understandably) which is much more expensive for the buyer.  I've stopped buying from Ebay as shipping to Canada can be prohibitive.  I really like an item on Ebay right now and it's price is $15.50.  Unfortunately for the seller, it will cost $23.00 to mail it to me with tracking so I'm not going to buy it.  This will hurt the seller, but in the end it will hurt Ebay, as they won't get Final Value Fees.  So many of their policies are short sighted.  I'm definitely still buying on-line,  but I'm shopping around.

hugs,

Brenda

Kristina Kristina Bears
Edmonton
Website

Thanks for all the great info Daphne and Brenda. You two have great ideas!

Brenda what are the "Mini Shows" on people's blogs. I have never heard or seen one. I am very curious!!! I am looking for other options to sell other than ebay. I'll probably still use ebay but I would love to try other methods of selling. I've started a website but I prefer my blog(I have lots more fun on there) bear_grin  but I'm not to sure how to go about selling on my blog. Unfortunately we don't have a lot of shows in Edmonton.. we have two shows and they are held on the same day and not in the same venue....and nobody from either show wants to  change..it's very sad....and I don't think the Calgary show is going to happen either.

If you see another mini show, could you let me know so I can take a look!  bear_flower

Happy weekend!
Kristina

Board footer