Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Gijzette Elfin Bears
Mount Dora FL
Website

I am sure one of the mini makers has the answer to my dilemma.

I'm currently working on a Black and White Panda that my mother commissioned as a gift for a friend. The panda will be approximately 3" tall and I'm having trouble sewing the head. I am using white upholstery velvet and it has the white grid backing. Of course I am using white thread. The problem I am having is seeing the stitches. I am using an Ott light and my magnifying glasses but I can't seem to determine where I've already stitched. I am sewing using a #10 or #12 quilting needle (I can't remember which size this is) and gutterman's sew-all thread and tiny back stitches. Luckily the black upholstery velvet has a white grid backing so I can easily see those stitches.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hugs,

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Although not an expert on mini bear making, the ones I do make I use a very fine nylon thread that is normally used for bead making. A slighter off shade of white might make it more visible. I also use quilting needles to sew with as they are small.

I have not tried this, but if you were to take a "wash out" pen, I use a blue one, and you were to draw a thin line where you want to stitch, the white against the blue should make it more visible and after you have sew up your bear then by dabbing with a wet piece of cotton wool the blue line should be removed. I would first test this method using a scrap piece of fabric to make sure that the blue does come out as some pens can be stubborn when trying to remove the markings.

You would not be ironing anything on the bear, but heat can set  a wash out pen. Watch the heat from your light although I do not think this would set the marking.

Lynette

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Gijzette I cant give you any advice Sorry. I use a size 12 quilting needle and that wonderful thread from Sassy fabrics. Most of the time I use a beige but of course with white fabric only white thread will do. I usually sew white on white in 'daylight'. It is the only way I can see it. I also try not to stop but to keep sewing to the end. hehehe
Lynette had a good idea with the marker. Used lightly it's not such a bad idea. I Will have to give that one ago.
Wendy :dance:

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

I have to do it by feel half the time as I can't see the stitches. I try to do one entire seam at a time so I know where I am.

Gijzette Elfin Bears
Mount Dora FL
Website

Lynette, the marker idea sounds good to me. I had thought of that but I only had a purple one and they don't usually wash out very well. I will see if I can find a blue one.

Wendy, unfortunately by the time I get home from work there isn't enough daylight left to see by. I ordered some of that wonderful thread from sassy bears but I had already started the head with the gutterman's. Maybe I will try sewing in the gusset with the other thread.

Kathy, funny you say that you sew by feel since you can't feel the stitches. I tried that also and just got frustrated.

Here is a funny one for you, my mom called to ask how the panda was going and I told her I was have a hard time see the stitches on the head. You will never believe what her idea was. She told me to sew the head with a beige thread. When I told her you would be able to see the stitches she said "No problem I will just take some white paint and paint them away." Of course, I was horrified and told her that just wouldn't do.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Hugs,

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

This might be another idea that you mom is mentioning, if you tack the bear together in say a red plain thread, then use this as a guideline, pulling out the tacking thread when you have finished sewing.
Means more work but at least you will get the end result you want.

Lynette

Gijzette Elfin Bears
Mount Dora FL
Website

Lynette,

I will try that as well.

Hugs,

wubbiebear Braille Teddies
Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Sorry, but I just have to bump this thread.  I can't resist.  I can never see my stitches, so I always do it by feel.  You can feel where the two pieces are connected and then you stick your needle as close as you can get to the spot.  Is that clear as mud?

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
Wubbiebear wrote:

Sorry, but I just have to bump this thread.  I can't resist.

You crack me up  bear_grin And I LOVE your avatar picture!

Becky

wubbiebear Braille Teddies
Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Thanks.  The avatar was designed by Joanne Livingston.  She completely rocks.

eddybare eddybare
cape town
Website

i only work with miniatures of 7cm and under. It IS difficult to see the stitches. Through a process of trial and error i have decided what works best for me is this.......

i draw a fine faint line with the softest sharpest pencil where i want my stitch line to be and then use invisible thread.  It comes on a reel from any needlework shop but buy the fine clear one. They do make tinted ones . I tried to use the tinted charcoal one on the black parts of my mini panda, but found it was too visible and shiny so i started over with the invisible one.

The pencil is never visible once the stitches are done.   Works well . I use magnifiers that i attach to my glasses rather than the light/magnifier.

Hope this helps. I find the turquoise and purple wash away pens are just too thick for really tiny creations.

hugs
janet

Board footer