Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Jigpaws Jigpaws
Edinburgh, Scotland

Hi all,

I'm considering buying a sewing machine for making my bears and just wondered what machines other people use. I know Janome seems to be a popular one but there's so many models available, they're all starting to blur before my eyes  bear_wacko

Any advice would be very much appreciated  bear_smile  bear_smile

Thanks
Hugs
Janice

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

I use a Viking. It's extremely basic but is very sturdy and can sew through several layers of material (or thick fabric) without difficulty.  I've had mine 7 years and have never had a problem.

Hope this helps...

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Mine's a Pfaff.  I just bought a new one at the beginning of this year and it's the second Pfaff I've had.  They are stong workhorses and cope well with mohair!

mwaggs2 Quilts-N-Critters
Middletown, Ohio
Website

I also have a Viking (Designer one). I love it.

danceswithteddybears Dances With Teddy Bears
Pacific Northwest

I have a Morse Fotomatic.  Totally esoteric.  It's a simple but heavy duty machine that will last forever.  It's at least 30 years old. I love it!
Of course this really doesn't help you, tho they're still out there.   
Laura bear_flower

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I got a Viking in 1993, and it still hums like new.  Mohair is no problem.

ConnieB Cincinnati, Ohio

I never have any trouble with my Bernina!

Jack&Lilia Jack & Lilia
Gloucestershire
Website

I have a Janome which is great...never gets tangled...I've also never oiled it thinking about it now! Mind you I rarely machine mohair so not sure how it would be and I'd probably have to oil it a bit more!
I did have a Frister&Rossman for years which was fab and my God-daughter still uses it now, she's studying fashion design at uni so it's used quite a lot!  :hug: lynne

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

I have to admit... mine is a Kenmore.  It's not computerized.  It does have zigzag and a few other fancier zig zag type stitches.  I really only use the straight stitch. 

The reason I went with this model (hubby offered to buy me a fancier one) was that it was under $200.  If push came to shove and it broke, I'd be able to replace it right way for not a lot of money.  That was 7 years ago bear_original

Amoryllis Amoryllis Studios
Edmonton, Alberta
Website

I have a Kenmore, though for most of my bear making I just hand sew, its just been clothing I've been using the machine for (I've also been working on a fur suit)

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

I have a Janome computerized Memory Craft 4800 but for sewing my bears I use a 1950's apple green Singer portable (it weighs a ton, it's not a featherweight).  I bought it at a yard sale for $10, brought it home and it works like a charm.  I love it for sewing my bears ! ! !  I bought a manual for it on the internet.

I use the Janome for home dec, quilting, clothes etc sewing and I love it for those things.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Oh sewing machines, I love sewing machines,

I use a PFaff 7550 and 7570, but I also have a Bernina 860  or is it 864....I don't know-it has the hard red case, and my favorite is the little Singer featherweight....so sweet and so simple.....

I have never used the treadle for a bear or doll, so I can't recomend it.....

The thing is, are you sure all you will ever do is make bears?  Or is there the possibility of you expanding into costumes, dresses, curtains, quilts, whatever?

if you only want to make bears, simple is probably better.  And since the fur can be rough you probably want a mechanical and not a computerized....although if you are careful and clean and oil routinely you shouldn't have any trouble.

If you think you might like to expand your sewing skills into other areas, then you might want something post 1960 with zigzag, etc,

And zig zag can be quite helpful sewing bears where the backing is a little on the loose side.

A good way to learn about machines is to watch the ebay auctions, and read everything and when you see one you like google the name and model number.

There are a few repair men who have put on the internet their favorite machines for durability and ease of use, and even rate the machines.....that might help you as well.

i have purchased 4 machines off ebay, only one was not in good shape, and since I paid 10 dollars and the shipping was just a few hundred miles away, I am not too concerned....its a Riccar that was still made in Japan, and there are tons of parts still available, so I expect to be taking it apart and locating replacement parts soon.   

Taking your machine apart and putting back together will put you on an intimate footing with it and you will feel more confidant when you really know your machine.

i wouldn't hesitate to buy used from a local sewing shop-they usually have used models that they refurbish, you can usually get a good machine for pennies.

So decide on what your potential uses are going to be and that will help you decide how much of a machine you want, and what you want to spend.  Ebay is good for that, you can get an idea of pricing before you walk into the store by watching what is happening on ebay....

hope this was helpful.

hugs

dilu

Jigpaws Jigpaws
Edinburgh, Scotland

Thank you for all your advice ladies, it's been really helpful  :hug:  :hug:

Dilu, that's a good idea to watch out on ebay as I may be able to pick one up a bit cheaper and try making bears with it to see if using a machine agrees with me before forking out on a new one  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

Thanks again!!

Hugs
Janice

Dilu Posts: 8,574

One of the best Singer models was made in Scotland-and I keep watching for a really good price in that.

They surely knew how to make them !

di

Board footer