Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Last night just 20 minutes before my bear was ready to auction on ebay, I got a message in my mail that I violated some rule and that they had pulled the auction and suspended my account.  I was instructed to "click here" to find out what was wrong.  This brought me to my sign in page.  Where my user name was, was not my name but someones elses, they wanted my password.  I knew right then it was a scam.   Last auction same thing happened, but they said my credit card info was expired.  They almost got me.  I gave them my username and password.  When I called my husband  (the voice of reason)  to find out what card to use he stopped me.  I would have given them everything, It looked so real.  Is this normal to happen?  I am I an easy target? They don't even know me.  Just be careful
Joanne

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

If I get anything in my regular email from Ebay, I always go straight to Ebay and check my mail there.  If it's not there, it's a scam.

Japhe Japhe's Bears
UK

I have not had this happen yet.
Scarey bear_sad  good job you realised something was up before you gave all your details.

Nancy D Dog Patch Critters
Titusville, FL
Website

I just received a spoof paypal email saying my account would be suspended. In outlook express I can tell by where it came from. The email address is came from was something like paypal at xyz.com. It is doesn't say ebay.com or paypal.com you know it's bogus. Never click on a link in your email go directly to the source.

Melbear Melbear's Quality Collectibles
Spruce Grove, Alberta
Website

I get those messages everyday.. my spam filter catches 90% of them now. I don't even look at them.. I just make sure I log into my ebay account.. if there is a message there then you can have a concern. Any other messages just get the big ol' delete.
There are so many scams out there now you really have to watch yourself.
Hugs!
Melanie

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Its not just you!  These crooks are getting sneakier and sneakier.  The more scams you know about, and can dodge, the better.   :hug:   Thanks for posting this one so others can have a head's up.

karenaus Melbourne
Website

Sadly that does seem to be 'normal' for Ebay these days- I had one the other day saying I had a problem with my photo supersizing please log on with this link to fix it. Of course they sent it to an email addy I never use to sell on Ebay with so straight off I knew it was bogus bear_happy  Not to mention that Ebay wouldnt care less if there was a problem with the pics hehe.
   I also was told by a bidder on one of my auctions that someone contacted them saying they were me, and how much did they want to pay for the bear, so that "I" could end it- of course the buyer would have sent the money to them, and got no bear.....
    I think these days you pretty much have to take every EBay message with a grain of salt unless its actually IN your Ebay messages ON Ebay.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Well bless your heart, gone are the days when we could trust strangers.

I just hope i don't get so jaded that I trust no one.....oh, wait a minute.....that already happend..... :crackup:

dilu

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

You know I never thought of going to my ebay mailbox.  I will do that from now on.
Thanks
Joanne

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Joanne.  It's a very good thing that you caught on to this scam. All I can say is never EVER respond to ANY email from "eBay".  If eBay has any issue with you it will be in your messages on the official ebay website.   

There is never a shortage of nasty scoundrels out there.  You know what I say...may the fleas of a thousand camels....... bear_laugh

Board footer