Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

kezjoy KezjoyKritterz
Gippsland Victoria

bear-changes-001.JPGI picked up a bear I made in my early bear making years (this is about the 5th bear I made)..back then I was rubbish at noses and cheated and gave him a glue on one..I was never happy with the face of this bear, but his body was so soft and well made (for then!!) that I could never chuck him in the scrap bin..so I decided to give him a felted muzzle after reading about it in here..so i felted and felted..but alas the nose wasn't stuffed with wool (probably polyester as thats what i used in the early 90's) and so a tug made it come right off again...so I soft sculpted his nose area, gave him a new nose (still not very good at them..I always have some showing through as can be seen in the picture..i gave it 3 layers..I give up..whats the trick???) shaded him a bit with prisma pencils, new eyes and voila..I love him now..not a great pic..hes much lovelier in the fur..but its given me joy to finally see this bear in a state I can be proud of..now lets see if I can figure outr how to put the before and after pics on here!!
Kerrilyn

kezjoy KezjoyKritterz
Gippsland Victoria

bear-changes-002.JPGhmm..well i got one pic on..that was the before with his glue on nose and falling out wonky eyes..heres the after
Kerrilyn

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

bear_wub Looks great, I love the difference, see how you have become a more accomplished artist.  I love the darker eyes and nose, he stands out more.
congrats!

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Big difference Kerrilyn. It's always nice to see how we improve our techniques. I've often thought, but haven't done it yet, about using one of my early patterns to see if it would look significantly different now than the original from that pattern.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Kerrilyn,
What fun to see the transformation! Great job!!  bear_thumb

There are some wonderful tips for doing noses here on TT.
See where it says LIBRARY just above your original post on the left with the little hi.gif waving at you?
Click there to open the drop down menu and select noses..... you'll find lots of tips and inspiration! Happy reading!!

Lovethosebears Yorkshire

Welcome to TT Karrilyn  bear_flower

I love what you did with this bear  bear_wub 

What a difference a day makes .............. sorry just gone off into song  bear_grin

I put felt templates under my noses - I'm a newbie and find this helps me keep the right shape and stops stray fur from coming through!

Hugs Ali x

New Avenue Crew New Avenue Crew by Debora Hoffmann
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Website

He looks great, Kerrilyn! bear_thumb

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

good plan and good job.  BTW though, I don't stuff with wool, but polyester and have no problems with felted noses. Was the bear made from a synthetic fur - that may have caused the problem.

Marion

kezjoy KezjoyKritterz
Gippsland Victoria

Thanks everyone..it is amazing to see the difference that can be made when youre more experienced!

Daphne, Thanks for showing me where the library is..id heard there was one but hadn't located it yet!! (now that i see it I think I must have been blind before..its so obvious!!LOL)

Marion, yes, he is synthetic..it look me a long time to be brave enough to cut into mohair!! mind you, that fabric was really expensive too (steiff used it , so I needed to have it LOL..brand names..yes Im a sucker!!) maybe I just didn't felt enough before I tugged at it and it came off..Im an impatient person..but Im still happy with how hes turned out!!
Kerrilyn

Board footer