Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

I was surprised and sad to receive an email from Amber in my inbox this evening.  Here is part of it...

Subject:     Thanks for the memories

Dear Friends,

After nearly 22 wonderful years of producing teddy bear and doll events it is with very mixed emotions that Connie and I are announcing our retirement.  The changing market and the desire to spend more time with our families has dictated our choice to rechannel our energies.

We want to thank everyone who has taken this long journey with us and being our family away from home and for the many years of laughter, joy and tears that have enhanced our lives along the way.

Amber then goes on to thank the many people who have made this all possible.

Thank you Amber and Connie -- I've really enjoyed your shows both as an artist and collector.

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Oh that is sad isn't it. What will happen to all the shows they produced? Are they just closing or is someone else taking them over? I really don't have the opportunity to do shows any more but I have such fond memories of so many of them and I did attend several of Connie and Amber's shows both as a seller and a collector.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Yes, Laura, I got the same email and I am sad for many reasons, because these ladies were top-notch show promoters.  Yet I certainly understand their reasons . . . I just hope bear shows don't die out altogether.  bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

The complete letter is on their website... www.abcunlimitedproductions.com

No, shows are NOT going to die out altogether. Let's not even think such a thing! Times are simply much different now, promoters who have been in the business for 20+ years are seeing the decline from how things used to be and are bowing out now, the glory days have come and gone for them. But we still need shows... they may need to be approached from a different perspective and certainly take a lot more work to make a success than they used to. Even then there are no guarantees any more. It's not all fun and games and it's not a highly profitable venture right now.

This isn't just happening in the bear industry. I've heard from other artisans.... jewelers, quilters, potters, etc. that craft shows aren't like they used to be either. Attendance is at an all time low thus sales at shows are too and in turn fewer artists are participating resulting in even smaller crowds... its a viscious circle. And no way to break it as long as not only our economy is the way it is but as long as the internet continues to grow and people can buy most anything right from home in their jammies... you've heard my schpeal on that.

But there are still folks out there who appreciate handmade items, who don't use a computer or who won't buy things over the internet. There are a lot of die-hard bear collectors out there and a lot of committed artists... they deserve shows!!

As the fall show in Schaumburg had already been canceled I signed up for the Kohler, WI show in October... only 3 hours north of Schaumburg and I've heard good things about it so I'm excited to see how it goes. With the close of the Schaumburg shows I'm guessing many collectors will attend Kohler... as long as gas prices don't go much higher.

Would be nice if someone picked up one of the Schaumburg shows though.... doesn't have to be at the same place, same date, etc. but a show in that area, even on a bit smaller scale should still be a success... there are a lot of collectors in that area still, though obviously not as many as before. Will be interesting to see what happens if anything.

cherylbruinwerks Bruinwerks
Edmonton

I was saddened to receive this letter too. I loved doing their shows & I was really sad when I had to come to the realization that they just were not financially viable for me anymore. I think there is still a place for the smaller "boutique" style shows but I do think the era of the "mega" shows like Schaumburg is over FOR NOW.
Thanks for the memories Amber & Connie! :hug:

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

That really is sad - Connie and Amber were wonderful promoters.  I have also done several of their shows over the years, and they were top notch.  It really does make me wonder what will happen to the industry, or is it that teddies are so readily available direct for the artist online.

hugs,

Brenda

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Yesterday I shot off an email to someone who I thought might be interested in doing a Schaumburg show - offering to help if desired as I am local.  I just do not have the energy or stamina to take it on myself or I would be sorely tempted  bear_whistle   (no, it wasn't a TTer - I think she'd kill me LOL!)

This morning my brain just would not stop whirling and I started thinking about when there used to be quite a few bear artists at the doll shows.

These days in Chicago, there are NOT many bear artists at the 3 doll shows in the area... but I think that is partly because as we all have less "fun money"... us collectors have been saving up for the "2 big bear shows" of the year - at Schaumburg instead of going to all 5-6 events in Chicago.

Well, those 2 big bear shows are over... FOR NOW as Cheryl said.  I know there are still Chicago area collectors who want to buy bears at shows!!  But there are still at least 3 doll shows! 

There is one doll show coming up in November in Naperville, IL.  (and another one earlier.. in September.  But that one is not at a hotel which certainly is a convenience when you have to stay the night)

http://www.illinoisdollshows.com/

Naperville is close enough to Schaumburg for area collector to go to -- it's still the Chicago suburbs!  The date is not set yet.  I have emailed the promoter asking if a date has been determined yet and if contracts are available.  I know that the table costs for their September show in Willowbrook is $100.  The Naperville show is at a Holiday Inn so if you need to stay the night, the rooms should be reasonable!

Yes, I realize that the show's CURRENT collectors are probably mostly doll collectors - however if 10 - 20 of us bear artists are able to sign up for the show and we all email our bear collectors - who are aware that the ABC shows have ended - I think we can bring the bear collectors back to these shows!  Our costs would be less also which will certainly help the bottom line.

I'd love to hear what you have to say about this....

Board footer