Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Pumpkin & Pickle Bears Pumpkin & Pickle Bears
East Sussex

I bought a crochet bear kit AGES ago and was so confused by the pattern instructions that it's been kept in a drawer since today. I'd love to try and make one of these cute little miniature crochet bears but I am still SO confused and it's driving me mad!!!

The instructions say things like:

Chain 2
RND 1: 6 SC in 2nd CH FROM HOOK
RND 2: (SC, 2SC) AROUND
RND 3: SC AROUND
RND 4: (SC x 2, 2SC) AROUND 

etc...etc...etc

bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  I am totally lost....what does this all mean??! I have crocheted simple square blankets a few times before, but this is just beyond me!!

Someone....anyone....PLEASE HELP!!! (pictures would be great  :pray: )

Maye I should just put it back in the drawer......  bear_cry

Kilde Posts: 186

I rarely do crochet (or knit either) - I'm not good at it  bear_wacko ... but when I do, I usually follow instructions I find on the Internet. I found a few - hopefully - useful links here:

Basic crochet instructions: http://www.learntoknit.com/instructions_cr.php3

Abbreviations: http://www.learntoknit.com/abbreviations.php3

So... "RND 1: 6 SC in 2nd CH FROM HOOK" is Round 1: 6 single crochet in 2ndc chain from hook. Usually, I find that when you have made 1-2 rows you start to see the pattern and the rest is then quite simple.

Good luck  bear_thumb

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Gemma,

These ARE confusing instructions. What part of the bear would you be making here?

The instructions are intended to produce concentric circles, starting at the 2nd chain from the hook.

Anyway, it looks as if you're using the 2nd chain from the hook as the center, or ring of your first round. Once you've made 6 SCs all in the same hole, you then fan them out as a circle, ready to begin your second round by crocheting into these 6 SCs.

The second round instructions ask you to make two SCs in the first of those 6SCs, one in the second, two in the third, one in the fourth, two in the fifth, and one in the sixth. By now you've increased your stitches from 6 to 9.

For the third round, you crochet one SC into each of these 9 SCs.

The fourth round is like the second--make 2SCs into the first of your 9 stitches, one SC into the next, etc., which should increase your stitches to 14.

Eventually, this will produce a sphere, possibly a spherical head!

I hope this helps!

Board footer