Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Pages:
lulubears Posts: 280

I've been following the various threads about the shows that are being cancelled, magazines going out of business, etc., and the efforts to save them.  I've chimed in a couple of times and given my views, but wonder if we are looking at this in the right light.

For the most part, I think that most of us realize that it is a lot of work to put together a show.  Having said that, I don't think that most of us (myself included) realize the sheer magnitude of the detail work in putting a show together.  The same goes for the magazines.  I know absolutely NOTHING about how a magazine works except that deadlines are set months before the actual issue goes out.  (See, told you I didn't know much.)

I applaud everyone who posted that are eager to help "save" the shows that cancellation announcements have come out about.  Same for the magazine.  In my own opinion, I think that by the time a show or magazine is cancelled, it is too late.  Maybe the promoters or editors just couldn't wait until "maybe next year" when the artists could get enough bears done, afford an ad, or "try it next time if the timing is better".  Personal reasons, health issues and family should always come first, but perhaps if a date has never been good for a particular show for a lot of artists, the date could be changed.  We need to work with the promoters and give them suggestions to keep the shows viable.  Maybe new shows will spring up.

Again, I don't know anything about the magazine business, but in the show world, promoters have to have committments up front to be able to pay for advertising, secure a ballroom venue, etc.  It can't be done with only a handful of artists.  We certainly have to be realistic about the travel expenses, and know that the numbers of artists that can participate will most surely decline in the foreseeable future. 

There are so few shows left across the country, I wonder if we should be focusing on those remaining shows, and throw our support behind them.  Perhaps instead of trying to save shows, maybe we need to salvage those that are still viable.

Our recent Albuquerque show had some of the most incredible artists attend, and the bears they brought were just as incredible.  While we did not have good attendance, we still had pretty good sales.  We need to tell others about that.  We need to get excited again.  If we aren't exited about our business, we can't expect the collectors to be either.

Post something on your website or blog about shows you have attended as an artist or as a collector.  Even if you recently participated in a show and didn't have good sales, you can brag about the others that did.  We've all had good shows and bad.  I'm thrilled when a collector buys a bear - regardless of who it is purchased from.  We'd all like to be the one that made the sale, but it just won't happen every time.

Let's get behind the shows that are still ongoing and throw our support behind the magazines.

I'm going to Daphne's show in Maine in July.  Maine is a long way from central Texas, but I'm so excited that I've been able to work it out to be able to go.  I've got new ideas for bears and other critters, and can't wait to get started on them.  I'm even bringing along a friend with me.  She lives in New York, so I'll fly there first, and visit for a couple of days.  Then, we are getting on a train, and heading for Maine.  She collected bears for years, then stopped, but is looking forward to gong to the show with me.  Hey, let's take those collectors any way we can get them.

Luann

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Good for you Luann, bear_thumb

You did a very nice job summarizing the situation too....

have a grand time creating for Daphne's show and then have another wonderful time going to it.

dilu

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Very well said, Luann.

I actually began traveling long distances to shows a couple of years ago...... not because there weren't any near me.... there were.... though they are now fewer and fewer and 2 of them are MY shows... anyway... I began traveling to shows that I KNEW were good... brought in the collectors, were larger shows and run by experienced promoters. Sure, I had travel expenses and the shows were pretty expensive to do BUT.... it was exciting to go and be a part of these shows, meet artists I wouldn't have otherwise AND my sales exceeded my expenses every time... sometimes only by pennies, other times by much more. But my sales were better at these shows than some of the smaller shows more local to me. And I gained a number of new collectors who now buy from me through my website after meeting me and my bears at a show. It was a win win!

I think Luann might have a very good idea in supporting and rallying the shows that still exist. They still exist because there are the collectors and artists to support them so if more artists attended the show would likely grow in collector attendance as well and soon these shows would be "MUST DO" shows for artists and collectors and be a great success all around, including sales.

We may need to start at the beginning again.... new shows with new promoting strategies... exciting shows that'll make non-collectors want to come to see what all the talk is about. This can be done with the shows that still exist.... they just need a make-over so to speak. If we start over with a dozen or two really exciting shows we may be able to slowly build the collector base and excitement up again and then perhaps smaller shows will be able to succeed as we create new/more collectors.

To go this route, to keep any shows going, it's up to the artists for starters..... to sign up and then to spread the word to their collectors via web/mag/mailing/email ads. We need artists who are willing to do more than just pay their fee and show up the day of the show. We need artists who are committed to keeping this art alive. I think most are... we all just need some ideas and a push now and then to "get out there".

I'm thrilled Luann is coming to do my show in July.... and I look forward to doing one of her's in 2009! I'm already planning my show schedule... making my commitments, in effort to support the promoters and my fellow artists by keeping the shows going so we can gain new collectors and sell those bears!

We also need to keep in mind that most all "collectibles" go in waves... they are popular... then they aren't... then they become popular again. There can be YEARS between "waves".... we do have to realize and accept this I think. It will do no good to bemoan the demise of shows, magazines, etc..... we have to simply decide if we are committed to waiting for the next wave while continuing to support the bear industry in it's reduced size... or if it would be in our best interest (businesswise or personally) to move on to something else.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Luann.... ever feel like you are talking to no one? bear_ermm

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Well.....Hmmm.....Uhh...

Interestingly enough, at the Albuquerque Show I asked almost all of the artists that were there what they thought of the recent discussion on shows that we had here on Teddy Talk.  From the reactions I first got, I though maybe my slacks were unzipped, or I had mascara smeared under my eyes.  As the conversations progressed, I came to realize that while a large number of the artists that were at the show are members of Teddy Talk, very few of them ever read the messages and almost never post.  Not one artist I talked to had seen any of the recent conversation. Some of them couldn't remember the last time they had logged on and looked at Teddy Talk.  Perhaps part of my thinking was that a discussion would hep in solving the "problems" we all seem to be encountering in the bear world.  I was naive enough to think that the artists just weren't chiming in, and now I realize they aren't even reading Teddy Talk. For that matter, they aren't reading other discussion forums either.  A couple of them have blogs, but I had no idea that they did, and have no idea how to search for a person's blog.

Maybe I was thinking I was reaching the people that are interested in bear shows as artists and collectors through Teddy Talk, but I'm really not.   I've always had concerns that the internet was too big to rely on to spread the word to everyone about shows, and have always hedged my bets on direct mail postcards.  By far, I get the best result from those postcards than anything else I've ever tried.  I'll stick to that from now on.  At least with that approach, I'm able to garner some results.

This is just my own opinion folks, and I'm not blaming any of the discussion forums for the state of the bear world.  I just think I need to take a different approach.

Luann

New Avenue Crew New Avenue Crew by Debora Hoffmann
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Website

I'm reading! bear_original I just don't have much to say other than I think you both have very good points. I am not much help being only a part-time bear maker who has only recently picked up the stuffing stick again.  bear_cool If I can ever get back into a groove and make enough bears for a show (someone loan me some time, would you?), I would LOVE to do them and support them. I really enjoyed attending the ILTBC convention in Orange, Calif., in the '90s and exhibiting at the three bear shows I did back in 2001 and 2002! :teddybear:

Edited to add: We were writing at the same time, Luann!  bear_original I am coming to realize from some of the discussions here that many bear makers and collectors are not finding bears or shows on the Internet. Fascinating! Mindy may have some insight in to those sorts of factoids. Maybe magazines and direct mail work better in the bear world? Hmm...

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I could be way off base here but from my experience I feel the following to be true:

Collectors: Most of the long time collectors are from the generation BEFORE computers.... they began collecting before computers and likely don't use them much now or even own one. Those who go to shows to buy might do it because they'll only buy in person, enjoy the friendships and the atmosphere of a show.... and also because they don't "do" the internet. I'd venture to guess that the majority (not all) of show goers aren't internet junkies.

Artists: Most of the artists who do my shows don't spend time on forums, blogs, etc. and have a website just for additional exposure/presence and to keep up with the times but don't spend a ton of time on fancy sites and pictures. They spend their time MAKING bears, being a part of the physical bear community instead of the cyber one. Yes, I'm beginning to see that there are two entirely separate bear groups out there.... oh sure, these groups intertwine here and there. The "in the fur" artists are focused on promoting themselves at shows, in shops, etc. and are focused on building inventory for shows, worrying about their displays, travel arrangements, applications, deadlines, perhaps creating magazine ads or submitting photos and write ups to magazines. Those artists aren't here! There is nothing wrong with the "cyber artists" mind you...... in fact, you are the ones that Luann and I are trying to get to come out from behind your computers and join us "in the fur" .... you don't know what you are missing! But we are sure missing you!!

I realize not everyone can participate in or attend a show..... but if you can I invite you to seek out a show in an area you'd be willing to go and just give it a try.

SillySu Susie's Bears
California
Website

Ok, I'm reading now too.  I'm fairly new at Teddy Talk.  I'm not very adept at computer stuff but my friend Donna has been pushing and prodding me into action, in fact we just got off the phone and she told me to log back on and read what this thread was all about.  I agree that MOST of my collectors are not on the internet.  I reach them through post cards and giving away issues of the bear magazines that I have.  When I get the chance I bring extra copies them to a show or drop them off any place people have to sit, wait, and read.   I always appreciate when  Teddy Bear and Friends and Teddy Bear Review bring issues to pass out.  I'll take old ones, new ones, anything.  I've said before, I take them everywhere I can, and Donna does the same thing.  I'm guilty of having too little time to make bears to take to shows.  I think I had seven or eight at the last show and most were in the $115 range, a few a bit more, like my bunnies.  So, I will try and do more shows if possible, and give myself an excuse to use those frequent flyer miles.  I'll try to keep up with Teddy Talk too and encourage others to do the same!  Keep giving suggestions and I'll keep trying them....  Bear hugs to you all  bear_wub  Susie

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Thank you, Susie, for posting, sharing your thoughts and your willingness to continue supporting shows! :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

And thank you Donna, for making her read this!! bear_thumb

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

They spend their time MAKING bears, being a part of the physical bear community instead of the cyber one. Yes, I'm beginning to see that there are two entirely separate bear groups out there.... oh sure, these groups intertwine here and there.

You could be right Daphne. I didn't start selling bears on ebay or participating in online bear groups until after I didn't have any shows to go to around here any more. And honestly - I would MUCH prefer to go to shows than to sell and interact online! You just don't get the same high as you do at a show - both from the selling directly and the personal interaction with other artists and the collectors. Also my bear production was WAY higher when I was doing shows and not spending SO much time on the computer! (And not just all chatting on here - taking photos of bears and composing descriptions and listing auctions all takes a lot of time.)

I would love to still be doing shows but there is nothing at all in Western Canada and it is SO expensive to have to fly out to Eastern Canada to do shows (it's way too far to even consider driving and even to fly I am a good 2 1/2 hours from the closest airport) and I hate all the rules they have there like the stuffing license and having to collect their sales tax.  I would love to be able to do some shows in the States but again the red tape makes it so difficult and I hate having to lie and say that I am just displaying my bears and not selling them - if I can't be honest about what I am doing then I would rather not do it! I just don't understand why they make such a big deal out of it - I mean I can sell to people all over the States on the internet, no problem! But if I want to travel to the States and spend money there buying gas, and food, and staying in a hotel, and paying money to the show promoter (and probably doing a ton of shopping while I am there as well) - they don't want me to come and sell my bears there in person!!!  bear_wacko It doesn't really make sense!!!!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Well, Edie... I don't know how it works on the Canadian side but here in NH there is no sales tax so you don't have to file anything with the US. Come to New Hampshire next April and do the New England Spring Teddy Bear show! bear_grin  bear_grin

Plum Cottage Bears Plum Cottage Bears
Long Beach, CA

Plum Cottage Bears Cute Animal Ambassador

On one level, shows are for bringing together the collector and the artist.  On another level, shows are sort of a reunion for artists who work alone and perhaps only see each other at shows.  Although I do other things in my life, sometimes I feel like the only functioning bear maker in Long Beach, California.  I will miss the twice-yearly habit of seeing people I know in the bear world at the San Diego shows.  Yes, I remember the ILTBC shows.  I never exhibited at any of those shows, I wasn't judged good enough then, but I went for the bear-world fellowship and the excellent instruction in bear making offered during the convention.  Donna Hodges taught me to make my first bear in a workshop there.  That was just the beginning.  I know it's a lot of work putting on an event.  And expensive.  But I really will miss the San Diego shows.  And the internet just isn't quite the same.

cjsmum Happy Little Souls
Sydney

Hi Guys,

I am another that is quite keen to hear everyones thoughts and ideas on this subject, I have been following this thread closely of course as with the others about the subject of shows etc though with all of the information I've managed to gather from here (TT), in person at shows and from talking with artists, collectors and makers I've realized a few things that might help.

Now I wouldn't like to presume that what happens here, in Sydney or even Australia (as we witness different styles of shows finishing in different countries) is the same for everywhere, but I do believe that Australia with its small population is a good indicator of world trends and there is a close comparison that can be drawn with the slow down of the industry as a whole. Of course there are the obvious reasons: economy, fuel, blah blah blah.......but also it's interesting that beading and papercrafts have never been so popular! But one of the major reasons teddy bear shows here slowed down (before the credit/oil crunch) was basically there became too many of them!

The big boy (read: corporate event companies) promoters saw smaller events doing well and moved in, not from an artistic/creative/positive angle, just a market that was booming that could be exploited. The next thing we know the excitement and anticipation of these wonderful events was diminished. If you missed out on one it was only another few weeks till the next. Chances were if you missed out on a bear or fabric you could get it at the next one, artists were trying to cover all of them which left little time for creating, (and repetitive table stock) and collectors were left with little time for saving up for the next one. It also became just as easy for those that could to get online with the plethora of new sites.

So a new breed of artist was born: the internet based artist.

Now for those of you thinking that I'm on a negative downward spiral fear not- I'll eventually get to the point!

Over the years I've coordinated Bear Fairs in Australia I've used dozens of initiatives and ideas to enhance our shows for all concerned. Some years I have been drained of all energy as the work that has been put in to get to that point of the doors opening is enough to leave anybody cold (and then there is that point in time when you can do no more about 15 minutes before the doors open and you just feel sick!!) not to mention the cash that organizers gamble with if something goes wrong (our 2001 show was held the weekend after September 11 in Sydney's tallest tower complex- the same weekend Ansett our number 2 Australian airline collapsed...nerve wracking to say the least!) Though this is not a pity party it's just how it is and as a whole with 10 years in tow I wouldn't trade my organizers role for the world.

Every year we've gained coverage wherever we could; newspapers (city, suburban and regional), craft and bear magazines, calendar listings, local and national radio, local and national TV, coupons, websites, billboards, local business, tourism info centres, traders flyers, postcards, direct mail, banners, street signage, people dressed up and handing out flyers on the day as fairies with bears, as bears, as angels you name it!

We've given out free patterns, once full kits to the first 200 visitors through the door, discounted entry, free entry, amazing lucky door prizes, I've brought overseas artists over, the list goes on and on....

But over the past two years (and I may be burned at the stake for this) this idea has crystallized for me: we are a specialty market! We have to embrace this not hide from it. To convert people off the street to go to a show is nearly impossible and the slight possibility is costly and time consuming, and if you do manage to get them through the door traders usually spend most of the day watching their beautiful stock get PPP'd (picked up, put down, then they P#$% off) - especially those with real fur littlies, you all know what I mean!

So where does that leave us- one word EXCITED! There are so many avenues that have been left unexplored in this situation, some TT's (forgive me for not quoting but there are quite a number of suggestions around) have rightly suggested we back the shows by booking tables, we should all endeavor to get at least one bear magazine subscription, and we should announce what we are doing whenever we can- there is more we can do though.

Have you all been noticing the climbing membership in this very group. When I joined it was static for months and then in the last 6 months a day doesn't go by when we don't have more new members sign up and log in. This is just one of the encouraging measurable tools we have at our disposal. Just when you think everybody is sure to know by now, there come more that have never even heard the news.

Once again forgive me while I reminisce, my own story is that I found teddy bears not by seeking them out- there was a massive teddy bear convention in town just a few months before I picked up my first bear fabric, that I knew nothing about. It was while in a regional town on a day trip I went into a craft shop looking for a cross stitching kit, what I found around the corner was a room full of teddy fabric and some patterns- I WAS INTRIGUED! Admittedly I was a bit bamboozled at first and went home empty handed, but I went the next week to find out more, I bought my first magazine, grabbed some material and notions and the rest as they say is history.

I think if many of us think about it, teddy's find us not the other way around.

These days if you walk into any major craft store and ask for teddy bear supplies they tell you to mail order it. If you go to the news agency they tell you they don't carry magazines because they don't move. Teddy bear teachers around these parts (in a major city of 5 million) are as rare as hens teeth, and so if someone was to say have an inkling about bears somewhere along the way, it would remain undiscovered because they found beading at a craft store/show that seemed cheap and easy. We missed out on another convert because they didn't realize that they had to look out for us.

Where the web also fails us is this way as quoted to me by a gorgeous well reputed bear artist: "I'm only any good looking for an exact web address that I've been given, searching is not my thing!"

I applaud what our art has grown into- it is outstanding the talent that is presented on so many levels, whether at shows, on the web, magazines or in shops. But has anyone else out there heard that "it must be so difficult" to make a bear, "I would never even attempt it". In most cases even if they wanted to attempt it it is made very difficult by the lack of on hand resources.

I like many other organizers have had to evaluate the situation and change our tactics. Thing's that worked 10 years ago will not cut it these days. We not only have other crafts to compete against in the market but also a rash of other entertainment pursuits. We do have to be savvy and not waste our precious time and resources butting heads up against the wall.

I've realized that we have to get people interested in the teddy bear as a craft and art well before we try and convince them to come to a show. It is always interesting for me to note that to this day my biggest collectors make their own bears, I was their teacher they found at the local craft shop and their informed appreciation for the craft translated into sales for myself and other artists as they grew into collectors realizing the outstanding nature of the work on offer. I for one am another collector that usually buys far more at a show than what I make in sales.

Many comments from all of my limited quality traders these days are that they have come to sell and the visitors have come to buy. We have cut trader numbers by half from 10 years ago, we have moved to a less expensive venue. At this present time we are a quality event with gallery level items for all levels of collectors and makers. It is special, not run of the mill.  Visitors that make the trip these days are the enlightened and aware collectors and makers, and although not every item in the room walks off the tables, traders are happy because they've sold substantial bears and supplies, had a great day seeing their friends, and collectors are happy because they've had their long awaited fix and seen exciting NEW stuff.

We need to begin this teddy revolution on the streets so to say.

Not everyone is on the internet (for example a large majority of the traders at our show don't have a website- 8 don't even have an email address) although I am in the process of helping them get more effective affordable exposure to the net, but I digress. There is no better way, just ways that suit some of us better. We should be positive in our pursuits not negative towards others trying to promote other avenues.

So when at your local craft store ask for supplies (you don't HAVE to buy them if by some chance they are brought in) but if requested enough they may get stock in that others will get the chance to see. At the news agency do ask for the magazine and complain when they don't have it. Eventually they might regain some valuable shelf space. Teachers out there could you offer your services to a local store or community college, if you've been out of the game for a few years, even if no students book in at least there has been in store promotion of bears, possibly even direct advertising to the stores databases of customers, and if they do book you've made up some fees.

As I've read earlier in this very thread leave your old magazines in the doctors surgery or hair dressers and the like. My local teddy bear supplier has started a new competition instore to promote fresh ideas and perspective, encouraging everyone to have a go!

I want to challenge everyone to list new ideas, I for one have read very interesting ones that I hadn't ever thought of (old mags for eg) some I had, but I'm positive of this there is always someone who is hearing the news for the first time.

So lets get the ball rolling on simple grass root informing and educating. There is a new generation of makers and collectors out there waiting to stumble over a teddy bear.

Cheers
Mel

PS SOOOOO sorry for the long rant, this is why I don't post too often, you would all get square eyes reading them.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Mel, your post was wonderful! I normally pass over long "rants" (though I'm good at typing those myself!! LOL!) but yours had a lot of great ideas and insight!

We need to begin this teddy revolution on the streets so to say.

Yes... if even half the bear makers/artists went out into their community and gave a talk at their library or school, taught a class, did a display at a local shop, left bear magazines in waiting rooms, etc. more and more people would be exposed to the art. And you are right.. that's where we need to start... exposing the general public to artist bears any way we can, on a daily basis. Get them interested, curious, excited... then they'll jump at the chance to go to a show. Educating the public on what we do is the only way we are going to survive as an industry. We HAVE to keep seeking out new collectors!

As artists, teaching classes is indeed a great way to share the art and gain new collectors who truly understand and appreciate the art. And no, the classes don't always fill but the artist bear seed is planted when a person simply reads the class listing in a stores advertisement.... a few months later they may have thought about it long enough to become intrigued and then sign up.

Some years I have been drained of all energy as the work that has been put in to get to that point of the doors opening is enough to leave anybody cold (and then there is that point in time when you can do no more about 15 minutes before the doors open and you just feel sick!!) not to mention the cash that organizers gamble with if something goes wrong ...... I wouldn't trade my organizers role for the world.

AMEN!

I'm feeling a sense of renewed enthusiasm... thanks, Mel! I'm sure everyone was sick of hearing me beat the subject to death. Your fresh perspective means a lot!

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836
cjsmum wrote:

Not everyone is on the internet (for example a large majority of the traders at our show don't have a website- 8 don't even have an email address) although I am in the process of helping them get more effective affordable exposure to the net, but I digress. There is no better way, just ways that suit some of us better. We should be positive in our pursuits not negative towards others trying to promote other avenues.

That there pretty much sums up a thought I had last night about all of this.  Every industry in the world has to take advantage of every means possible to promote itself.  Those moving forward in technology are just as committed as those moving forward within B&M events, neither one is better it's all about what works for the persons involved. Neither one needs to become extinct, but they do need to evolve.  And it seems they may need to embrace each other now more than ever. 

I've yet to see an artist from TT not promote to the fullest and not comment on how to reach out further.  The showcase here is full, blogs are buzzing, banners flying, web sites saluting, and mailing lists cheering on sales & events.  Artists in our industry (from what I've seen online and in person) are some of the hardest working people from creation to forward thinking.  Let's take advantage of that to merge the "old" with the "new"...without separating them out.  If some don't want to take on the online community that's fine, it's what works for them. If others can't afford the overall cost of a show then that's fine too.  This isn't a new concept in selling and promotion.  We can't ignore history, Sears knew in 1943 their new catalog "serves as a mirror of our times, recording for future historians today’s desires, habits, customs, and mode of living."  Sears is still B&M, online and in paper catalog and each promotes the other.

Would show promoters considered having "online stations" at shows for collectors to see the vast professional arena of local and international teddy bears right at their fingertips? Maybe a supplier or publication could sponsor the online "teddy station".  If collectors don't have a computer then share with them that local library's, schools, community centers, etc almost all have computers for the public to use.  If there are artists who can't make it to the show charge them a fee of some kind to be included in a professionally created "find us online brochure". Along with that advertising fee those artists must fully advertise online for the B&M show(s).  Merging, evolving and embracing to make it better for those working really hard on all levels.  bear_flower

:hug:
~Chrissi

PS...just did a spell check and refresh, hope this doesn't fall into the "rant" category   bear_laugh   Oh, and we need to get someone/something really important to once again publicly embrace the teddy bear.  History shows that each teddy surge has followed something like that occurring. :photo:

Lhearn Critters Creations
Alberta
Website

I have been following the post and I myself  would love to go to a show and attend. I started another post on wanting to know where all the countries stand with bear shows. Where do you think most of the collectors really come from. With bear magazines, I am finding that the stores don't carrie them like they use to and of course if the demand is not there for them to sell ..... well they stop. I find that if I want a magazine I have to order it on line. Do you think that every thing is slowing down right now because of hard times.

I think ebay is starting to slow down now... anyone eles feel that way?

This is Jeff.
I have been helping and been around this business going on twenty years.  Thought I don't make bears, I have been actively involved in Luann's business.  I maintain the mailing list, sell the supplies (fur, glass, steel, joints, etc), help setup, tear down, loading, unloading,  you get the picture.

The answer to your question regarding where do the collector's come from really fits in part of this conversation.

Many years ago I did a survey for one of my college classes.  It was collecting info on "Bear Buying Behavior".  It was a simply questionnaire.
I surveyed a couple of hundred people at different Teddy Bear Shows we did.  Based on the info at that time, most collected bears based on a past experience in their lives.  Generally, collectors had a bear during their childhood.  I know I did.

Some have moved on, but others have always had a soft spot for bears.  They end up meeting others who may have the same interest, who tell them know about a shows or artist.

In giving the survey, one of the questions was regarding information bout "TB" events.  Most replied back then magazines and direct mail.  Now most all find out about shows and events through direct mail. 

As you may have read through some of the post, direct mail works.  In fact, we received an e-mail from a very good customer that they did not make to the Albuquerque Show due to a visit to their daughter.  But wanted to let us know they will be there next year.  It is good to know they were thinking of us and missed there time to visit and buy artist creations.

Each year the mailing list gets smaller.  Mostly, through mail not being forwarded after the collector has moved.  We have had a few that have dropped, due to no longer being with us. 
Every year we do pickup a couple of new collectors that did not know the Teddy Bear world existed.  So the education of the "TB" world continues.

Jeff

Alexis Lexsomnia Bears

Jeff- B&M is Brick and Mortar. HTH!

I have been reading this thread too. Just wanted to say that although people may be writing blogs, posting on TT, answering emails, maintaining a website, they are probably MAKING bears too. I do feel that shows are a great way to get pumped and excited. There really ISNT anything like the rush from direct sales and meeting other teddy lovers like ourselves BUT I dont think that those that choose to use a different "vehicle" are any less. Sometimes for some people, the internet is the only way to do what we love. Personally, I love both sides but I just wanted to say that putting people down for using the internet to their full advantage instead of taking the oppurtunity to do a show isnt the best way to get more people involved. I hope that this post doesnt sound rude because it certainly wasnt meant to be. I know for myself, with a toddler and a newborn on the way, the only way to do my bearing is on the internet. Shows are just not on my agenda right now and I dont think that myself or anyone in the same situation should be made to feel as less because we cannot attend a show. Just my honest opinion.

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

I don't usually get invoved in these posts, but after Alexis' post I had to say that I agree with her comments.

Sometimes after reading posts on here I feel that because I choose to sell via the internet that I am looked upon differently. Like I'm not serious about the industry or something.  I am just  not comfortable doing shows, I have tried locally.  I agree that it is a wonderful feeling meeting face to face with collectors, BUT there is also that feeling of being on display and public rejection if things don't sell.  Some of us deal with that better by selling from a computer.  I'm proud of my growing computer skills and being able to showcase my work on a website/Blog etc.  Is that wrong ??? Who knows.   I have a wonderful group of collectors who seem to be very comfortable purchasing online too.  I think we need to be sensitive to the fact that we are not all extroverts.  Does that mean I shouldn't be allowed to do what I love and make bears because I choose another venue ?  I wish I could do shows, maybe someday I will feel more confident. 

I agree with Chrissi that maybe the two can be combined somehow.  I also agree that there are lots of ways I , and others like me, can promote the industry other than live shows.  Many of those ways were listed here already and I have done some of them.   We can all do something, but  I'm not sure that one way is any better than the other.   

Maybe I am just being super sensitive today .... I'll crawl back under my rock  bear_noexpression

Hi Alexis.  I apologize if our posts sounded like we are putting down those that don't attend shows.  That was never our intention.  Everyone has to choose which venue is best for them, and if websites or e-Bay happen to work best for them, then I say "Go for it!"  Each individual has to choose their own path, and it's none of my business to try to sway anyone in a different direction.  One of my earlier posts stated that family has to come first, and I stand by that. 

I certainly don't want this to become the "Luann and Daphne" show, but with so fews left in the country, we are trying to get the point across that unless there is more involvement in the shows, we are going to wake up one day and have NO SHOWS LEFT IN THE ENTIRE COUNTRY!  As far as I know, there are only 10 or 12 bear shows left. (not doll and bear - just bear shows).  If Daphne and I were to cancel our shows, that takes 4 more shows away from that number. I think we have become so passionate about keeping the shows alive for all involved and helping keep the entire bear world alive, we just don't want the shows to go the way of the dodo. 

Again, there was never any intention to hurt and feelings or make anyone feel bad for not doing shows - just follow your own path.

Luann

FenBeary Folk FenBeary Folk
Pointon Fen, Lincolnshire, UK

Hi Alexis, I just wanted to let you know you were not the only one who read many things into this initial post bear_cry

I decided not to voice my opinion at the beggining as I have had my fingers burnt on a few occasions on TT by rushing in, with me being super sensitive bear_grin I am so glad that I didn't rush in.

I can really understand were the show promoters are coming from and I thought Mel's post was excellent in expressing a balanced view.

I attended my first show in March and intend to do the one in August as well, I would have signed for a third show but they have decided to host it on the same weekend as the one I am committed to, how is that for bad planning, they are within 70 miles of each other.

This committment and I did not sell 1 bear at all, I am committed to all possible things that will increase awareness in the general  to our bear artist community and the demise of any magazine or show is a sad thing.  My feelings towards the magazine is, that it would be dreadful if the publisher was unaware how popular this magazine was and closing it was just a question of not being able to find a suitable replacement, in that event I would like to see a suspension rather than closure.

As for shows I would gladly do more but working full-time prevents this, I do know that I intend to exhibit at this show hopefully for years to come, regardless of sales.

As to the internet, well I would not have started on this road without it, it is a fantastic tool and enables the isolated and unable to communicate with the world.

I also have two exhibitions planned for my High Streets branch of a building society, they frequently allow different artist to showcase in their window.

For me, the world always changes, magazines come and go yes, but we do all need to fight, figuratively speaking to keep our freshness and enthusiasm alive, to think of new ways, to marry the olds ways with the new internet ways, to change with the times.

I was asked the other day by a new wool shop in our town if I would be interested in taking a bear class, I said nooooooooo way, why? I felt I was not good enough, maybe I will go back and ask them if they still fancy the idea.

Also if TT don't mind next time I do a show I will hand out not only my own cards but some leaflets with TT's website and a few other artists website names on, for those that live a long way away.

So with regards to the original post I am suspending my hurt feelings and am now understanding that this post was only ever about ways to help and promote the Bear Artist Community bear_thumb

I hope this does not offend as it was not my intention :hug:

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Did I miss the part where Luann or I put down those who only use the internet instead of doing shows????

Or did you all miss the part where we recognize and accept that people do both or one but not the other?

Luann's original post was about shows, not the internet... it was about encouraging those who could, to come and support the shows. Yup, I cited, as many others have, that the internet is but one facet of this industry, the one most of us have also recognized as PART of the reason why shows are not successful as they once were. And thus we, as prompters trying to do our part to keep the entire bear industry alive, encourage everyone to do a show.... get out from behind your computer IF YOU CAN and try a show.

No body is insulting those who only sell on the internet. We know that not everyone can do shows. But, naturally, the majority of TTers here DO sell on the internet, in fact I'm sure the majority sell only on the internet, thus spend quite a bit of time networking online so HERE YOU ARE! If Luann or I was to stand in front of our vendors at a bear show and say "Hey, you all need to start selling online" there would be resistance from the many artists who DON'T sell online, don't know how or want to spend the time, own a computer, etc. The show artists are, in part ,a different "breed" of bear artist than most of those here online. Luann and I have an audience of computer users here. So we are naturally going to work at encouraging you to try a show.... but we aren't insulting you in the process. That certainly isn't our intention. How would that help our cause???

Besides... there have been so many discussions about the demise of shows, so many folks bemoaning the close of shows they liked, so many saying they want to see shows continue, how can they make sure they do, etc..... thus I believe this thread that Luann started was meant to be "out loud thoughts" on how to build up and support shows that still exist. It was NOT to negatively target and redicule those who only sell online - but to encourage those who can to try a show. Um.... I'm starting to sound like a broken record here. But Tammy, Alexis and anyone else thinking your being targeted... you are not and we don't think any less of any of you for chosing not to do a show... you must carry on your bear business as you see fit for you.

If shows aren't your thing then perhaps they are topics of discussion best left alone just as industry award competitions aren't my thing so I don't get involved in those discussions. Otherwise I'd probably think people are thinking I'm less of an artist for not entering and I'd experience that feeling of being targeted and needing to defend my decision... even though no one said specifically "Hey, DAPHNE, why don't YOU participate in contests?"

ALL is well, folks... Luann and I, Mel too... are just being promoters... PROMOTING shows... encouraging more participation... trying to get input on how to imporve shows.... build excitement, etc. I guess we thought with all the artists here we'd get some helpful input to save the shows that are left. Even if you don't do shows, I hope you'll recognize that shows are one way of reaching out to the public and bringing awareness to artist bears which in turn creates more collectors... some of which will also buy on the internet going forward so we're helping those of you who are internet sellers as well... we're trying to help keep the bear industry going. We're not insulting or looking down on ANYONE, we're tyring to HELP you all!

Alexis Lexsomnia Bears

Tammy & Sue- Thank you for making me feel like less of an outcast. I jumped on a limb there expressing how I felt and I bit my nails, paced back and forth around my computer, and stressed on whether it was the right thing. Knowing other people had the same or similar feelings helps me to feel better about voicing my opinion. Thank you!  :hug:

Luann- It wasnt actually your post which bothered me. I understood what you meant and felt that you were just trying to get the word out on the possible extinction of Bear Shows. I agree with you that there could be more done to keep the shows alive but just wanted to say that IF ( although I hope not) the shows do disappear that the entire bear making/collecting world would not cease to exist. Shows used to be the a great way that people could actually sell their bears/dolls/etc with or without opening a store. Times are changing and with the invention of computers and the internet we have been given a whole new world to use or not use (neither is better). Simply put, I just dont want this thread to end up being a "us vs them" thread. I dont want people putting down other people's venues of choice and we should all embrace each other and learn from each other. I hope to one day do my bearing professionally and become a name in the bear community. I am a nobody now but if there is anything that I can do to help push the bear community into the public eye then let me know. I want to help, I want the bear art/collecting to last forever, I want to be a part of it for as long as possible, and I dont want to see any part of it (shows included) to fall to the wayside/ or follow the dodos!  bear_original Again, I never meant to be rude so if I did sound that way please pardon me!  :hug:  Sadly, tone is lost on the internet and sometimes things sound horrible when written out although they never had the intention to hurt. Hugs to all my fellow bear makers/artists/collectors!

Daphne- We posted at the same time. Again, I hate the internet at times because tone is completely lost. Your post "sounded" angry and defensive to me and I never meant to put you in that position. Just felt that I should be allowed to voice my opinion like anyone else. My mother does crafting and solely does shows. I always tell her that I *think* (think being the key word) the internet is easier, faster, etc etc but she doesnt want to change. I dont think she is a different "breed", just prefers a different way. Like I said, I dont want to make this an us vs them discussion so really I think we are all the same breed. We all love teddies...thats it! We just sell differently, no biggie. I just felt like a few things in one of your prior posts were hurtful and obviously I wasnt the only person. So instead of rushing back to get angry and defensive, maybe take our words in stride and just understand how someone else may see your posts. Hugs girl! Oh, I forgot to mention one thing as I go back to fully read your post. I LOVE shows. I love to attend them, be part of them, etc...so my entering and reading this thread was NOT to start a fight. My intention was to figure out how to HELP but instead as I read the posts I felt as though artists that solely used the internet as their bear selling "vehicle" of choice were being made to feel as less. I am not a drama queen, I assure you, and I never meant to start trouble. I dont have time for anger and hate and if I thought that this thread would lead me to hurt feelins then I never would have read it.

Alexis Lexsomnia Bears

One last thing I thought of...just so I dont only sound/look like the silly girl here to cause trouble...What if those bear makers/artists (whatever you call yourself  :crackup: ) with websites maybe can list all the local and/or international shows coming up on their site!?! TT is the only place that I can find out about shows since my local book store doesnt even carry any bear magazines and most of the local bear shows in my area dont seem to have enough advertising. If I dont know someone involved then I usually miss them. Anyway, back to the point, while people are searching online for a new teddy love maybe some people would be willing to add a show calendar or something. Could be listed as "Meet me" or "Meet my friends" and have the info listed for the show. I dont know, just something that came to mind and I wanted to be able to add something instead of steer this thread further into the ground. Sorry Luann! That was never my intention.

SillySu Susie's Bears
California
Website

I've just caught up with the thread, I was away most of the day.  I hope anything I wrote did not make anyone think I don't like internet bear artists.  Actually I buy half of my bears that way!  I was just saying that most of the people I send postcards to don't use the internet, at least not yet.  I only get to attend a few shows a year and it pains me to think of all the great shows I've missed doing as an artist or attending as a customer!  Donna will tell you that I LOVE the Nevada City show, but I don't do it because it's three days and I usually only have about six or seven bears after a show I do in March!  But I certainly try to go and buy bears. 

I'm new on TT, and this weekend happened to have more time than usual to sign in.  Hopefully I'm not making any enemies with what I've written.  If someone isn't sure about the tone of something I wrote, please email and let me know so I can explain.  I have a size sixteen mouth from sticking two size eight feet into it all the time! 

Sue, if the FenBears you show on your Avatar are any indication of your talent at making bears, I certainly don't see anything to worry about!  They are adorable!  I know how it is to come home without selling much at a show, but I usually feel better about it because my throat is sore from all the visiting I've been doing!
I'm looking forward to trying to do any of the shows you girls put on, just send me the info and I'll certainly try to be there!!  Susie

The grass is always greener on the other side....until you get the water bill.... :crackup:

Pages:

Board footer