Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

mingrul Our Blue Iguana

Lately i seem want to experiment with some embroidery design onto my bears.. i got some great books with illustration, problem is, how do you transfer those illustration to your mohair after you photocopy it? im not using sewing machine.. but hand stiching the embroidery bear_tongue

Example i have this drawing of a dog jumping, how do i copy that? I have tried darkening the back of the photocopy, than place the image on top of lets say mini fabric, than trace it, it wont work. you cant see anything... it work however with ultrasuede but it comes out like applique embrodeiry! But i dont want that effect... my ears and feet paws material is mini fabric... help please!  bear_cry

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Ming, I don't know what you want to embroider...how simple or how complicated...but could you transfer it to a separate piece of fabric the same color as the mohair background and then applique it to the bear? Or maybe transfer the design to the back of a separate piece of mohair, trim the mohair from the front of the piece, do your embroidery, then applique it to the bear. That way the backing would blend in well with the bear.

I've only done embroidery on a foot  pad. And there I just sketch an outline and then sort of free sew. Of course, mine were flowers so nothing had to be exact.

mingrul Our Blue Iguana

Marlys thanks for replying.. well, its just simple sewing that i have in mind, but how can you transfer it onto the mohair or mini fabric? using iron on paper is too costly and you cant cut the pattern out because it have simple design (outline) like lets say outline of a dog running..with doghouse and etc. something like that...  bear_tongue

using free hand drawing does alter the drawing and i like it just the way it is... i dont want to do it in applique embrodeiry style.. i want to see the design on top of the mohair... and yes, i will for sure need to trim all those fur! if not, my design will be hiding in the bushes! :crackup:

:hug:

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Hi Ming,
I do not do embroidery so I may not be of any help.  Are you using the mini fabric that has the cotton backing?  Could you transfer the design to the back of the fabric and then do your embroidery?
Good Luck
Donna

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Ming, I can't think of another way to do it except by embroidering on a separate fabric and appliquing it on the bear. If you don't like applique, think of it as just whip stitching the piece to the bear.

There is one other thing...you can by waste canvas, draw your design on that, pin it to the bear, embroider, then remove the waste canvas. I've used this mostly with cross stitching on a sweatshirt for the kids. You remove the waste canvas by pulling out each thread. Waste canvas looks a bit like needlepoint canvas except that it's made you pull apart leaving only your embroidered design.

mingrul Our Blue Iguana

Donna thanks for that... now why didnt i think of that! :doh: sewing backward.. and yes, im using the mini fabric with cotton backing...

Marlys suggestion is also great! now,i just need to find out the chinese term for waste canvas bear_wacko ..

thank you to the two of you for a great suggestions.... both seems like fun way of doing it.... you guys are the best! :hug:

:hug:

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Ming, here's a link that show you what waste canvas is and how to use it:

http://www.needlework-tips-and-techniqu … anvas.html

Taiwan Angel Love Bear Forever

I think you can make a copy of the design you want.
Cut off the outline and draw at your mini fabric.
(Of course it will only be the outline so the inside details you can draw by free hand. I guess you will not be using a very complicate design is it?)

I did embroidery on my feet paws but I always draw in free hand.... just to make my life easy  bear_grin

Julie Julie Shepherd
Website

If you want to transfer the design onto fabric there are several ways to do it.  It shouldn't be too difficult, but might be a bit fiddly due to the extra complication of the mohair pile.   

Take a look at some embroidery sites...try this one for a start:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5968_transfer-e … esign.html

Hopefully this will give you some ideas.

Board footer