Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Kidsandteddy The kids and teddy too
Lincoln Ca.

Hello everyone,
I was wondering if anyone has come across any really soft and quality faux fur recently. I have not had to order fur in some time now and I have a customer that wants a very large baby bear in synthetic fur. I know of Edinburgh but I thought that I would see if I could find some other companies as well.

Thanks so much.
Hugs
Bonnie

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Bonnie I am struggling too..there is a lot of it around but I really don't like what's available and I can't get really good quality faux fur these days. Edinburgh used to have a great selection...Prefurs has lots but the ones I like are often too long pile and too dense... or a bit too short. I love Sassys but I want longer piles...and some of the knitted ones are just ...well..not what I want. I wish there was a magic shop that sells realistic faux fur in nice colours ...woven not knitted ...about an inch and a quarter pile with guard-hairs. I used to get wonderful ones from Edinburgh Imports but they hardly have any now.

I just keep looking....

Lincoln Ca.

Thanks Jenny that is exactly what I am looking for also. I used to get from Edinburgh but have not seen what I am looking for and it is almost the same price as mohair. I will keep trying. Maybe I can find a cool coat.  bear_original

Hugs
Bonnie

JanetandBears Janet Ann Anderson and Bears
Breckenridge, CO
Website

Hi Bonnie,    I just saw your post and looked in my stash as I remember having some of that very buttery soft synthetic fur with the woven backing.  I can't remember where I got it over 25 years ago.... maybe Edinburgh.  I am hoping to move and I am getting rid of a lot of stuff and have no use of this fur so if you are interested I would love to unload it to someone who would use it.   I have two large pieces and one smaller in an off white color, a pale butter color and the small one is a light brown.  I could send a sample.  Janet

JeannieB JeannieB Bears
Greensboro NC

http://stores.ebay.ie/HONEYSUCKLE-FURS_ … idZ2QQtZkm   

Yep, me, too! Try Honeysuckle Furs E-Bay shop....she has some really nice stuff.  bear_wub

Lincoln Ca.

Thanks Janet and Jeannie for the information. Janet I sent you a email about seeing the fur.

Hugs
Bonnie

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I got so frustrated with it I did consider buying a whole roll of ivory from Tyber but I don't want 16 metres of all the same colour..and though it can be hand painted/ airbrushed it is not possible to dye it so it's a huge commitment for one colour. I did find a wholesaler in the UK who would sell me 2 metres but again I was not fussed on the fabrics. I keep looking at Honeysuckle Furs but to be honest they all look like knit backs to me  and though I don't mind using them now and again, because they are so popular at the moment and have such specific and recognisable colourations , flecking, tipping etc they end up being more about the fabric than about the bear ( for me at any rate)...so I have gone off those stylised fabrics in a big way. I am mainly into mohair right now with the odd faux fur bear made from fake fur I bought years ago. I do get some from Germany...Probaer and Baerenstubschen has Schulte..which is nice but a bit flat looking..not at all shiny. I have had a problem with the latter..they sent me a piece of fabric with a big mark on it right down the middle and they seem to think it's ok to  simply offer me a meagre 10% off my next order by way of compensation....er..I don't think so...so they are not my fave place to buy fabric right now!!!
Like I said..I just keep searching for that magic shop!!!

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

Try checking out Beary Cheap they are in Australia and I like their furs................

Ellen

puca bears puca bears

I started using faux furs from Honeysuckle furs earlier in the year - and yes - they do have knitted backing, but honestly, there isn't much stretch - I find that after going round with Fray check, I don't have problems (O.K. I strengthen joint areas!).......the fur really is LUSH. I took a few bears along to the Teddybar total last month to judge public reaction - and they went down a storm - sold 3 big ones at the show, and another two since!
If anyone is interested, I'm sure Mo (NICE lady) would be only to happy to send samples!
huggies
Maria

FenBeary Folk FenBeary Folk
Pointon Fen, Lincolnshire, UK

Can vouche for Mo, she really is a lovely lady with a GSD doggie, I have been using her for a year bear_grin  bear_thumb I am sure she will help anyone if she can

Her ebay ID is bobmobella

Japhe Japhe's Bears
UK

I can vouch for Mo Honeysuckle furs on Ebay as well her fur is amazing and so very soft yes there is a little stretch but not to much. I have bought from the throw company before but to be honest I prefer Mo's there is so much more choice and she is such a lovely lady and delivery is ultra quick In my opinion she cant be beaten. Plus Mo is always on the lookout for new and differnt Faux's.
Huggies
Jackie

Lincoln Ca.

Thanks so much everyone for your input. Does Huneysuckle furs have a web site or does she just sell on Ebay?

Hugs
Bonnie

Japhe Japhe's Bears
UK

Yes mo does have a website as well but this is her ebay shop you can get the link to her main website from her about me page
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/HONEYSUCKLE-FURS

Hugs
Jackie

Terrie Terries Bears
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

I have used Honeysuckle's furs as well and I have been very pleased with them.

mjbears mjbears
northants

hi i am a regular buyer from  honeysuckle furs and mo is very helpful about the furs, i have used so many differant ones from mo that i have lost count but i can say most of them dont have hardly any stretch at all and a joy to work with. i would ask mo for her advice before you order if you want one with a low stretch backing she will most certainly help you out.

JeannieB JeannieB Bears
Greensboro NC

Just a note....I use Sassy's Magic Fabric Fixer on the knitted backing. It works wonders! Quick and easy to apply! bear_original   

http://www.king-cart.com/sassybf/produc … atch=exact

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

Boy!
Do I know about this problem  bear_ermm  I have always used the most expensive faux fur that Edinburgh offered, for my cats. I knew that it was very important that my cats had fur that felt like real cat fur, i.e. very soft and dense. I used to buy 10 yards at a time so I have enough to last for a few more months but I'm at a loss as to where I will purchase my fur in the future  bear_shocked  I did talk to Edinburgh at the Disney Show. DId you know? Edinburgh has been SOLD! Mac, I have known him as a buyer of teddy bears for collectors in Japan, has bought Edinburgh. Mac has had a very solid business and I enjoyed working with him. I think he can do great things with Edinburgh. I did talk to them about our problems with finding fur. IF you have a chance please add your voice: www.edinburghimports.com. I talked with both Mac and an assistant. Apparently, Lisa, is out direct contact at Edinburgh. I think if anyone can find the fur we need it will be Mac! Let's all hope!
Karen
KJ Lyons Design

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

That faux fur at Honeysuckle looks great.  I read that some of the fabrics also have 'woven' backings.
Thanks for the link. bear_thumb

Lincoln Ca.

You guys are great !!! Thanks so much for the website information Jackie, and the magic fabric fixer Jeannie. And everyone else for all of your input. I will check these sites out.

Karen what a shock about Edinburgh being sold. Wow I hope that they continue with the quality furs and bring in some additional great pieces.

Big Hugs
Bonnie

teddytoo@cableone.net

Board footer