Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

Hello everyone! 

Well, I flew back into Newcastle yesterday after spending a whole day traveling, and now I have finally recovered enough to show you all photos!  I went to Mankwe Reserve in South Africa ( http://www.mankwewildlifereserve.net/about_mankwe.htm ) for 10 days, and it was sooo much fun, despite the almost constant threat of a painful death bear_tongue  I thought I'd show you all some of my photos :)

This is the view of the lake on the first morning... it's about 3 degrees C there at night, so I was absolutely freezing, but the mist over the lake was awe inspiring :)

STH70463.jpg

Tent sweet tent!

STH70570.jpg

The first night we woke up to hear Zebra outside our tent!

STH70478.jpg

We went out to Pilansberg National Park to see a lot of animals because Mankwe only has the less dangerous species so we could sleep in the open... still had White Rhino, Leopard, Honey Badger, Spitting Cobras, Rock Python and the dreaded Black Mamba to think about though! We saw Hippo in Pilansberg...

STH70467.jpg

We saw this TEENY elephant baby, only a month old!  He tried to nick milk from a different cow, and she just booting him in the face XD

STH70638.jpg

And Vervet Monkeys, which nicked pasta from a bunch of Americans in Pilansberg whilst we were watching bear_tongue

STH70622.jpg

In Mankwe we lived with Giraffe, Rhino, Zebra, Kudu, Wildebeest, Hartebeest, Impala... the list goes on and on! Here's a few shots...

STH70760.jpg

We did small mammal trapping- this is a Multi-mammate Mouse

STH70699.jpg

African Painted Wolves, these guys were hilarious, whinging around until they got their chickens!

STH70873.jpg

Cheetah.... yes that is a cat food trap in the background.... a lot of my group thought it was terrible that the predators a the cheetah sanctuary were fed dog and cat food as well as chickens and meat, but I couldn't really see their problem- the sanctuary had been researching it for four years to give them their vitamins, so....

STH70900.jpg

More to follow?

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio
Gantaeno wrote:

it was sooo much fun, despite the almost constant threat of a painful death bear_tongue 

More to follow?

Chloe, what an amazing trip! Thank you for sharing your beautiful photos. I can't believe you could camp out right there.Yes please post more.

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

... sorry about the madness of the sizing- I meant for them all to be tiny on Photobucket *sigh*

Ah well, here's a few more!  I have more photos not on here, if anyone would like to see a specific animal :)

Two female Impala- I ended up buying a skin from the unfortunate annual cull- in Makwe they sell as many live animals as possible, but they also cull any they can't sell (esp. Males) and eat the meat and tan the hides to sell- they're buying Nyala next.

STH70545.jpg

White Rhino- at one point I was standing next ot a pile of fresh Rhino poo, and Dougal the owner ponited out that it was less than twenty minutes old before telling us that he had to check on the others, so not to go into the woods 10m away!  scary!

STH70540.jpg

Warthog- they have to kneel like this to eat bear_tongue They also smell like candyfloss, according to Lynne the site manager!

STH70517.jpg

Wildebeest, very close to our truck. Lol, the locals accent was so rich, hearing the way they said 'wildebeest' (VILD-eh-beest) 'blesbok' (bl-EEs-bok) and 'hyaena' (a-hEE-nah) was so nice!

STH70492.jpg

Finally, here's a photo of my fifties pattern dress at out fifties ball he night before we set off- I got in at 5am and then had to go to the airport at 10am XD  It hurt.... ball and petticoat were equally good tho, despite getting blanked by an ex bear_tongue Maybe he couldn't see me past all that skirt volume!! I'm in the blue dress with the white sash... I want to wear it forever :)

n61215052_37644448_1179.jpg

Well, I hope you like the photos! I do have more if anyone wants them for a project- I'm thinking about a few new luglys myself!

Tami - Maybe I'm being a little dramatic, but yes there was still a very good chace of my dying there-still I'd rather risk that and get to sleep surrounded by all that life than live in a hotel, even with the promise of a hot shower!  You know, you've just not lived until you've had to check under the rim of your toilet for poisonous spiders before using it bear_tongue

puca bears puca bears

You lucky girl, Chloe - must have been utterly fantastic .................
super pics - keep em coming, pretty please!............and the baby elephant-  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub says it all

huggies
Maria

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

It was amazing Maria  bear_wub  bear_wub  I'd live in South Africa in a second if I could get a job there, all those beautiful animals still just wandering freely - nothing like the cow, sheep, pig, sheep journeys of England!

|Your wish is my command bear_tongue

Lilac Breasted Roller-

STH70485.jpg

"lessons"

DurhamJune2008072.jpg

The FREEZING night drive (please excuse my general face and appearance bear_tongue)- we saw jackal, small spotted cat, african wild cat, bush babies, scrub hare, spring hare (HILARIOUS to watch) and lots of half asleep antelope!

DurhamJune2008059.jpg

Baby crocodile

DurhamJune2008028.jpg

...waterbuck I think? easier to tell from behin as they have toilet-seat shaped marks on their bums bear_tongue

DurhamJune2008022.jpg

Pied Kingfisher

DurhamJune2008027.jpg

Springbok

DurhamJune2008021.jpg

Zebra

DurhamJune2008017.jpg

DurhamJune2008016.jpg

And finally another herd of Impala

DurhamJune2008011.jpg

Now I miss it so much! Went walking for an hour today- two days ago I'd have seen so much life, but today just the commonest Ape of all bear_tongue

LisaAP Arcas designs
Website

AWESOME!! I'm so jealous. Keep the pics coming!!  bear_wub

Regards

Lisa

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

Lol! I'm going to run out!  A lot of mine need cropping and so on before I can show them really... let see...

Not all of these are mine bear_tongue  Some are photos Lynne took while we were there...

Bee-eater

pbg_bee-eater.jpg

Kudu- in our test there was a cast Jackal paw print for us to identify- it was brownish, and my friend Hattie mistook in for Kudu poo XD

KuduRamandcow.jpg

Grey Lourie- they sing "Go away! Go away!"

GreyLourie.jpg

Gemsbok - another cracking pronounciation!

GemsbokatMankwe.jpg

Brown Hyaena

BrownHyena30April06.jpg

Rock Python

2jAfricanRockPython.jpg

Vervet monkey

1qVervetMonkey.jpg

Ostrich chick hatching

1tOstrichchickhatching.jpg

Sunset over the dam...

1cSunsetoverMtlobodam.jpg

Teddy Tales My Teddy Tales
Massachusetts

Chloe, these pics are beautiful. I'm clad you didn't make them smaller, I keep looking back at them. You are so lucky to be that close to nature. What a feeling that must of been to wake up in the morning to see wild life. Is this only for students?

Bear Hugs,
Louise

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

Hey Louise, I think you can also go if you're not a student?  The website's at the top- you might have to share the site with students or something, but bI think you should be ok?  I'd really recommend it- a brilliant experience, and you get to eat lovely food (Kudu, wildebeest and hartebeest for meat eaters!)- I put on five pounds (oops!) whilst I was there, their food was so yummy!

Lol, tell them Chloe sent you, Louise XD If you want any photos fullsize, let me know.

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Yummy, what a fantastic holiday, you will never forget this holiday Chloe. Thanks for sharing these wonderful pictures...now I'm jealous, I wanna go to Africa....

Lynette can I come and visit with you?  bear_grin

Hugs, Jane.  bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_flower

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Beautiful pictures, thanks so much for sharing them.  bear_thumb

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

what beautiful pictures. Thanks for posting them.... bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_flower

Teddy Tales My Teddy Tales
Massachusetts

You were right when you said to drool over!!! That last one was unbelieveable!!!!!!!!

Japhe Japhe's Bears
UK

Wow Chloe what stunning picture if you have more please show them bear_wub What an amazing experience for you and to have seen so much of the wonderful wildlife. I am sooooo jealous.
Thank you for shareing your experience with us.
Huggies
Jackie
xx

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Thank you soooo much for sharing these beautiful photos!
I understand you want to go back there... Maybe some day...  bear_tongue

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

What a terrific adventure, Chloe . . . and outstanding photos to go along with it.  I loved every picture and you will have unforgettable memories of the experience.   :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Jack&Lilia Jack & Lilia
Gloucestershire
Website

Wow such fab photos Chloe ....what a fantastic trip ......lots of memories that will stay with you forever .....thank you for sharing your adventure  bear_wub
Lynne  :hug:

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original I AM SO GREEN--what an incredible experience!

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

great pics!  :photo:   Looks like a great trip!

BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC

Oh my gosh Chloe, I'm horribly jealous!  What a fantastic trip; thank you so much for sharing all of those wonderful pictures with us!

My personal faves: the Elephant Calf (Elephants are one of most favorite animals, and that story you told about the calf was just too cute!) and the sunset over the dam.  Breathtaking!

Lovely lovely!!!!

Kimberly W.

karenaus Melbourne
Website

What a wonderful experience for you Chloe, something you will remember for the rest of your life.  Thank you so much for sharing the pics with us, I can't imagine coming face to face with all those animals in the wild! bear_original

BootButtonBears BootButtonBears
Adelaide
Website

Absolutely brilliant photos of glorious animals and country.  Am so glad you got to have this wonderful experience.  Thanks so much for showing us all.

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

bear_shocked  OMG!!!!  I'm not a big fan of elephants, but that baby was just ooooh, so cuuuuute  bear_wub   Awwwhhh, even moreseo when you told us what happened with the other cow.   And I loved the cheetah pic but most especially the photo of the ostrich hatching  bear_shocked   I've never seen that!! :photo:   Your photos have been awesome!!!  bear_thumb   MEGGA thanks for taking the effort to post them and the writeups on here  :hug:

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

Awww, you're all so welcome bear_original  I'm glad you've all let me shae the experience as it's something I don't expect to be able to repeat... Here's one last recording, just for all of you  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

th_STH70650.jpg

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub   How neat!!!!!  That baby is sooooo tiny, and such a cutie  bear_wub   LOL, loved hearing all the cameras clicking  :photo:  :photo:

Thanks for the video  :hug:   What a once in a lifetime trip!!!  :bday:

Board footer