Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

sockerplinga Sundsvall
Website

Hi everyone!

I have a little problem, which I have had all the times I have made bears. I have done both bigger bears (about 25 cm) and then I found miniatures, which I love, and have made since then.   bear_wub

My problem is about noses. I cant get them as nice as all other peoples noses.  bear_cry When I have sewn the muzzle, and the head is done, my nose is a little pointy, so when I embroidery the nose, I make it a triangular (hope thats the right word). It looks like a V, with the "inside" part of V is filled with black thread of course.

The thing is I want to do other noses too, like oval shapes and square ones and so. But it seems to me that it wont work, as my nose is already pointy. I have read that people put a piece of felt under the nose and stuff, and that will work, I guess. But how do you sew so it become a nice shaped nose, that isnt pointy? And a nose that you dont need to have pliers to pull the needle through the fabric? (Which happens to me all the time, as there are so much thread on the inside nose).

Hope someone can help!
I was thinking about going that nose-course at e-bearz, but I thought it wont hurt to ask here, at Teddy Talk. bear_original

bearhug07 Strange Bears
Sydney

Hi Jossan

You don't say if you design your own bears but one you could design with a broader flatter look to the muzzle even on the mini's. If you don't want to do this you could try a trick some do whch is to actually fold the pointy muzzle down onto the chin seam to so that it is flatter and wider and then embroder you nose over the that.......I have never done this but I know a number of artists that do.

Other than that ........are you sure you are stuffing firmly enough to flatten out the area .......without seeig one of your bears I'm not sure what else to suggest.

bearhugs

sockerplinga Sundsvall
Website

Hi Sandra,

Well, I have some pattern myself, but I have used others too.
But thanks for the tip! I will try them and see what the bear look like. :)

And about that stuffing part... I would like to think I stuff firmly enough, but I will try even more on the next bear.

You can see my bears on my flickr, if you want too. :)
www.flickr.com/photos/sockerplinga

Kilde Posts: 186

Hi Jossan,

Your bears are cute  bear_original I love the small pink rabbit  bear_wub

Noses are a pain to do.  bear_ermm  For me the best way to do noses is "Monica's way": http://monicasattictreasures.com.au/on% … rials.html

She has great tutorials - I'm not sure if it will help your pointy-nose-problem but the way Monica does noses works for me.

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Tina: that was a wonderful website with the free tutorials!!! Thank you for posting this.

Jossan: I too struggled with noses and found practice makes perfect (though my noses are far from perfect). Meaning my noses improved with each bear I made. Some people suggested to me to get stuffed animals from yard sales or thrift stores and practice nose making on them. I think that is a great idea and maybe that might help.

sockerplinga Sundsvall
Website

Thanks for you tips and the link to the tutorial.
I will make more bears, and train on them, and if they get ugly, mum can get them, as she loves my bears (she cant make her own, she think they are to tiny).

mingrul Our Blue Iguana

Hi Jossan,

the way i sew nose is make a rectangular frame. from the frame, i sew within the frame, than on the second layer, i sew outside the frame. If i want more round corners, i would sew many times on the corner to get it to curved.

if i want lets say other shapes, i alter it on my second layer. The first layer is my base so that it's firm and gives a nice outcome. I use the sticker felt thing as my guidance and would trace the shape at times onto my bear using fabric pen, when sprayed, this pen would disappear bear_grin

good luck!hope this helps.
:hug:

Board footer