Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

From first hand experience today I caution you:

TAKE YOUR FOOT OFF THE PEDAL BEFORE YOU THREAD OR CHANGE THE NEEDLE!!

Yup, sounds like common sense, doesn't it? Here's my story:

I was minding my own business today, simply threading the machine needle after changing thread spools which I've done a thousand times, when all of a sudden the needle moved.... right down through my fingernail and out the underside of my finger. I jerked my hand away which broke the needle. I will NOT repeat the words that came flying out of my mouth! Both dogs ran..... and hid in the other room.

After the initial shock I tried to take some deep breaths and analyze the situation....shaft of needle, threaded mind you, has gone straight through my finger and there isn't enough needle on either end to grab and pull. And wow, it's really starting to throb!!! What do I do? I'd feel like an idiot driving to the emergency room for this and it really isn't THAT critical. I can do this.......

I finally did get it out which really really really hurt. After much bleeding, ice, anti-bacterial oinment, a bandage, some pain medicine and some more deep breaths I sat back down at my machine, put a new needle in went right back to sewing. If I didn't I probably would have stayed away from that thing for days!

But WHY did that needle move in the first place???? Because I had my foot resting on the pedal. And was wearing my slippers.... so didn't feel that I was applying pressure. I usually sew barefoot... don't know why I wasn't.

No more slippers and no more foot on the pedal when I'm not actually sewing!

Please, be careful.... don't let this happen to YOU!!!

momanimallover Taber, Alberta

OUCH!!!!! That must of hurt like a  -----------!!!! So many times we just don't think when we have done them over and over until something BAD happens bear_shocked I hope your finger is doing okay, I guess you don't have to worry about drilling a little hole in the nail to release the pressure bear_grin I was just thinking back when I accidently slammed my own finger in the truck door and to release the pressure they make a tiny hole in the nail bear_grin Thanks for posting this warning! I'm just a beginner on the machine so your "caution" is much needed!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH - YIKES!!!  All I have to say is that you are one courageous lady!  I'm not sure I would've been able to take out a needle that was all the way through my finger.  My best advice is, however, to get a tetanus shot if you haven't had one in several years.  Please.  Deep wounds like that can get infected.  Please.  And I'm sooooooo sorry this happened to you!   bear_cry  bear_cry  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

OUCH!!!! thanks for the warning! Gezzzzzzzzzzzzz I bet that hurt! Hope your finger is better soon!  :hug:

kellydean k e l l y d e a n & c o m p a n y
Narrowsburg, New York
Website

ouch!  been there, done that. . through the fore-fingernail twice & the thumbnail once. . . a miniature vise-grip pliers and an exacto knife are essential tools to have on hnd - and, as you found out, you gotta work fast.  you've got about 50 seconds before it really starts to hurt.  :redface: .  .

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Brenda - I've been using a sewing machine for 8 years now..... as a beginner I think you are apt to be more careful. It's when you get experienced and don't even think about what you are doing any more that silly things happen.

Sue Ann - Oh, I wasn't that courageous.... the deep breaths were to fight away the nausea!
Tetanus Shot..... all set. Not due for a booster until next year. As a diabetic I'm SOOOO careful about that stuff. Just not careful about what my foot is doing apparently!

I'm really glad it wasn't a felting needle!!! I would NOT have been able to pull that out!

Kelley - Good grief... don't you learn???  bear_tongue I'm kidding as I'm sure this will be the first of many times for me. I've knicked the very edge of my finger a few times as I'm always rushing to get to the next thing that I don't pay attention. Hubby says I'm drive my machine like I drive my car... too fast! I'm in no rush for this to happen again though!!

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

OMG...that just makes me cringe.  I think I feel sick just thinking about how much that hurt.   bear_cry  bear_cry  OWEEE!!!   I would not have been brave enough to have pulled that out by myself...nope...could not have done it.  I'm a big WIMP...someone else would have had to do it.

Woodbury Park Bears Woodbury Park Bears
Central Coast New South Wales

Ouch!! All the hair on the back of my neck is standing up reading this Oh what a brave girl though  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  hope you are OK  now

Raewyn

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

bear_cry oh what a brave girl you are :hug:  It's amazing what you can cope with when there is no choice.

kezjoy KezjoyKritterz
Gippsland Victoria

owwww..i remember a girl at school once went through her own finger..never could figure out how she did it..now i know!! (mind you, those old school machines were soooo slow..i don't know how she did it even if she did what you did..this was in the 80's..but i remember it like yesterday..i also remember a girl burning off her eyelashes trying to light the oven..hilarious..but dangerous..I bet theyre all electric these days)
Kerrilyn

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Shudder, shudden and a cold feeling right down my spine. Yike Daphers what you doin' girl. Heck I bet that hurt like mad. I did the same thing many years ago when I was sewing part of a raincoat for a very well known man who's mum's shortened name is Liz, wink,wink. Take care and don't forget to ditch those slippers.  bear_thumb

Hugs, Jane.   :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

ouch ouch and some more ouches.
Another reminder, watch out for dogs that sleep near the foot control, your feet might not be near, but they are. It has happened to me.

Lynette

Taiwan Angel Love Bear Forever

O my god !!!! I saw that many times happen in my factory.
It must be lots of blood coming out.....   bear_cry
Thanks for the warning.....
Hope you recover soon bear_flower

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

OUH!!! Oh My Daphne! :hug:  :hug: Thanks for the warning! I have been letting Brendan (who is 8) use my sewing machine this summer and I was proud that the last time he did it on his own and I could work on my own  project on the other side of the room. The thought of a needle through his finger makes me know i'd still better watch him carefully. He goes a little fast for my comfort. Perhaps I'll just have him read this!
I bet you are popping the advil!

EvaJ EJ's Crafts
Fort Mohave, Arizona

Oh I am so sorry you did this.  It had to really, really hurt.  I have nicked my finger and broken finger nails and I know that hurts.  I also sew bare foot.  Hope you heal fast!

Eva
www.ejcrafts.com

Roxanne Bear Paws by Roxanne
Odessa, Tx

ooooooOOOO! I bet that's gonna leave a mark....! teehee!
I just realized that my eyebrows are still furrowed up while reading this  bear_shocked 
Hope that your finger is feeling better today  :hug:   :hug:

Jigpaws Jigpaws
Edinburgh, Scotland

Oh my goodness Daphne.........it brings tears to my eyes thinking about it  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry

I think you coped remarkably well to pull the needle out yourself (ooooooooh shudder!!!!!)............you're very brave!

Hugs
Janice

Teddy Tales My Teddy Tales
Massachusetts

When I was younger I worked at at factory  and my job was working on a button machine and every week someone would have a turn with a needle through there finger, Well I had my turn , I had to go to the hospital to get it removed,  I saw stars and said a few sweet words. So Daphne I feel for you. When they pulled the needle out I felt light headed and thought I was going to faint.   

Bear hugs ,  Louise

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I'm not so sure it was bravery... just necessity... that made me pull that needle out. Next time (God forbid!) I'm not going to wait for it to hurt so damn much before I do it though! Light-headed and sick to my stomach was how I felt, Louise. Not fun. I'm sorry you've experienced similar pain!

It doesn't hurt much today ... only when I clean it with alcohol! And no sign of infection so I think all will be just fine. :thumbsup:

When I think of our soldiers, terminal ill patients, etc. my boo-boo is barely the equivelant of a paper cut. It was just rather shocking when it happened and we can all use a reminder now and then of the hazards of bear making! bear_wacko

Thanks for the sympathies!

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Ouch! I've done that before while quilting, though mine didn't go all the way through, only about half way. You're right, it's such a shock. I just sat there not believing I could be so stupid to sew over my finger. I finally hit needle up and it came right out. Take care of yourself.

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

Wow Daphne, I hope you're okay!  That sounds really, really painful!  On a side note, you should really consider writing a novel as a second career.  Your description was detailed and graphic enough that I almost felt woozy... bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

bear_wub Daphne, the pain had to be excrutiating! I get the chills just thinking of it. I am glad you kept your head and were able to remove it.  I will be more carefull now as I do leave my foot on the peddle. I hope there wasn't any nerve damage, keep your eye on it.

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Ahhhhh....so this is why I sew by hand!  bear_laugh

Seriously gal, ditch the slippers!  :doh:   There was the first jinx!   :crackup:  Can't help but imagine both dogs fading into the next room.  Knowing wheaties they were probably trying to blend into the wallpaper in the next room!!!  :crackup:

Do keep a very, very close eye on the injuries for the next few days.  Puncture wounds are nothing to fool about with.  Come to think of it, eons ago, Amanda (my coatimunde) bit through my thumbnail and when I went to the ER, they made me stick my thumb into a shot glass that was 1/2 peroxide, 1/2 iodine.  It fizzes all over the place, so be sure you have loads of papertowels or junk towels you can throw away.  But it did an amazing job of fizzing iodine into ever possible crevice of my thumb.   bear_thumb

I know the feeling, though.  When I dislocated my pinkie, it was the same thing ~ you do what ya gotta do  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Gijzette Elfin Bears
Mount Dora FL
Website

OUCH!!!!! I also think you are very brave to have taken the needle out yourself. I for one wouldn't have been able to do so without passing out first. I hope the soreness goes away soon and you are no longer allowed to sew with your slippers on.

Hugs,

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Zowie owie!!  I couldn't have pulled the needle out either.  I thing I surely would have fainted.  It makes me a little woozie just thinking about it. 

I bet you're not going to wear those slippers while sewing anymore!!  Here's hoping no more boo-boo's like that!!

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

Board footer