Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

This is Missy, my new production supervisor!

June2008_008.jpg

Since we got her in April, she is always right there with me when I am working; curled up in my lap, intently watching me cut out mohair parts, chasing bits of stuffing, stealing the show in bear photographs, or sleeping in her little bed lined in Teddy Fur. I love having her near me. Cinder, our big boy is wonderful as well but at 17lbs he's not much of a lap cat!

June2008_014.jpg

July_13_2008_004.jpg

But danger lurks in a Teddy Studio for a curious kitten! I knew that kittens, like baby humans, put anything in their mouths, so I was sure to be extra careful about putting my things away after working. My studio is an open room that the cats must pass through to the unfinished part of the basement where their litter box is.

Apparently, I was not careful enough! When we took Missy to the vet yesterday because she would not eat and was throwing up, we thought it might be complications from her spaying surgery last week. But the vet took some x-rays and said "linear foreign body". Linear foreign body? I questioned. "Like thread, string or ribbon" he answered. Oh no bear_cry my fault my kitty is sick. Where else but my studio would she get thread, string or ribbon?

He said that string or similar would not show up on the X-ray, only evidence of it in the form of little air bubbles in the intestine. Missy has special high nutrient food and medicine for nausia and for helping the foreign body pass and thankfully she does seem to be improving (no more vomiting and she wants to eat), because if she didn't, it would mean "exploratory surgery". Please say a prayer for Missy so she won't need surgery and check your own studio for pet dangers.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Missy is adorable and I wish the best for her recovery.  She certainly is posing in the last photo with that foot up!

theKeepMeCo. Posts: 185

Missy looks so sweet. I hope she gets better soon.
-Lynnette

Gemma82 Wakefield
Website

Aww, she's gorgeous and I'm sure she'll get better soon.  When Fable was a kitten he managed to eat the tape out of a cassette, luckily he was fine but I have to be really careful because he likes to eat plastic, he has a real fetish for it!  I'm afraid animals and kids will always get themselves into mischief, we can only protect them so much and these things happen so don't blame yourself.  bear_flower

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Oh poor Missy!  She's as pretty as a picture and I can see why you would want her with you to work.  My little black monster Puddle doesn't come into my workroom often .. she keeps stealing everything and I can't get much done with her on the prowl!

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

What a cutie, yes cats will eat thread........be careful, also they will try and eat dental floss, my cat use to try and dig it out of the trash cans!
Hope she gets to feeling better real soon!  :hug:

Gijzette Elfin Bears
Mount Dora FL
Website

Ouch! I know poor Missy is wishing she hadn't eaten that thread. Unfortunately, cats are always finding things to eat that they shouldn't. I do hope Missy feels better soon.

Hugs,

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Your sweet kitty is beautiful!!  What a pose in that last picture.....like a calendar pose!!

I have to leave the door closed to my studio when I'm not in there because Max likes to take the pins and needles out of the pincushion.  He also likes to nab pinned together bear parts and take the pins out one by one.....with his teeth.  I don't know why or how he manages not to swallow them.  I always have one eye on Max whenever he's in the studio.  He's a big ball of mischief, that one!!

Kitty prayers for your Missy!!

Hugs and hugs for you!! :hug:
Aleta

Yvonne Bebbin Bears
Buckinghamshire
Website

Oh I wish Missy well soon! I worry so much as my little cat Sophie follows me everywhere...and is always in the studio with me..she has a real passion for eating thread at any opportunity...and like Missy has to have the medicine on occasions..thankfully so far its always worked...so I know how you feel...fingers crossed Missy will be fine!

Lovely pictures Tami....she looks so sweet posing with your bear... bear_wub

Hugs Yvonne  bear_flower

Milford Ohio

Thanks for your prayers and well wishes for my Missy. She really seems so much better already. The special food and medicine are for the next three days and already she seems to want more to eat than the perscribed teaspoon she is getting three times per day. I'm following DRs orders, but it does seem like a really good sign that she actually wants more.

I love the last photo too. It is a decent shot of my bear, but who can look at him with that little beauty sitting next to him?! I think soon I'm going to set up my light tent with no bear inside to see if I can get her to pose like that for a "pawtrait".

Oh I wish Missy well soon! I worry so much as my little cat Sophie follows me everywhere...and is always in the studio with me..she has a real passion for eating thread at any opportunity...and like Missy has to have the medicine on occasions..thankfully so far its always worked...so I know how you feel...fingers crossed Missy will be fine!

I'm glad to hear from your experience that the medicine can work. Thanks for sharing that too.

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Oh Tami!  I'm glad to hear she's starting to act better... sending good thoughts for a continued speedy recovery.  She's adorable  :hug:

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

ahhh cats bear_rolleyes  bear_wub   String, ribbons, thread, tinsel, necklace chains (yup) and more.  I once took my dog to an ER vet place years ago.  A woman walked into the waiting room with a really gorgeous Himalayan in her arms and a very grumpy looking little girl at her side.  They sat down across from us and I thought it was odd that the little girl was arms crossed, brows furrowed and not at all concerned that her cat was in the ER.  About 20 minutes later the ER doc calls them into an exam room and as they're walking towards the room he gently says to the little girl, so what's wrong with ____.  The totally annoyed little 5 or 6 year old girl says out loud, "stupid cat ate my necklace AGAIN."

Wishing super fast feel betters for little Missy!! Sounds like she's already feeling much better. She's really a total sweetie face bear_wub That last picture is beyond perfect!  Look how she's copying the bear's pose, too cute!

:hug:
~Chrissi

Barling Bears Barling Bears
Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Hi Tami,

Little Missy is totally gorgeous!!  bear_wub  I hope she is soon back to her normal lovely little self.

Yes, the photos are really sweet and she certainly knows how to pose beautifully! 

Hugs

Marilyn bear_flower

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

She very cute and I'm glad she's feeling better.

Maisie is our 7th Scotties over the years and she's the only one who has eaten things she shouldn't. We'd only had her a couple of weeks when she was tired and up-chucked a big glob almost as big as her. We watched her through the night and she slept just fine. I opened her crate door in the morning and found she'd thrown up four rocks. Yikes, we don't even have rocks in the yard. We finally discovered she'd explored the garage and my daughter had put a bag of polished rocks on the floor. You know, the shiny kind for flowers or vases. Gratefully, she felt wonderful after that, but we've been careful about what we leave available to her.

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I am glad she is on the recovery bear_thumb  and the Timely warning can never be tooo timely.
I had to be very careful with my Budgie Elliott. He loved pins and would pull them out of anything if he got the chance.  Looking back I see that I worked alot tidier then. I will have to change my ways when I get my next pet because I now work in a complete shambles. Definitely NOT pet safe.
Wendy

svenstrup Svenstrup Originalz
Malling, Denmark

Poor girl, hope she will be okay soon!

She is very very cute and she looks pretty curious too :)

Everytime I lost one of my needles I get so scared that one of our cats will eat it or walk on it  bear_cry

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

She is a gorgeous cat Tami and I hope all will be well with her.My 4 year old Balinese cat has to be watched too as he is a thief with my bear parts.I had a bear at my side the other evening and fell asleep for a while and when I woke up an ear was missing-pins too!!Luckily I found them but it sends me into a panic trying to find what he has stolen and I am usually so careful not to leave any thing laying about but the little terror must know when I am not looking and he is such a sneak about it too bear_ermm
Laurie :hug:

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

poor kitty. I hope Missy gets well soon. I too worry about my cats. They love to break into my craft closet and have their way with my supplies. It's a good reminder to put everything away, even thread that drops to the floor.

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

Aww, that last photo of her is cracking, I almost want to say 'get that bear out of the way!', but you know I would never want to move one of your bears really bear_tongue  I bet if you wanted her to pose right she wouldn't though XD

I hope she recovers and has learnt her lesson about smuggling your thread out of the studio a la plane smuggler!

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Missy is ever so cute and I was happy to hear that she feeling better with the special food and medicine.

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

ScaliWagGrrs ScaliWagGrrs
Denver, Colorado
Website

Glad to hear your kitty is doing OK!  It is sooo scary when pets eat odd things. I have two dogs Sienna a Leonberger and Wookie a mutt. Wookie is nicknamed chewmonster because of all the strange things he eats and chews. I had to take him to the emergency vet a few months ago because he swallowed a HUGE piece of furry fabric--it had to be about 8" around. [It wasn't fur from my teddy bear making but from my other dog's old snuggly ball. A very large furry ball that she sucks on like a pacifier. Once the ball is worn out, I get Sienna a new one and let Wookie have the old one. ] I was playing with Wookie and the large scrap of fur that was left of the ball when he suddenly decided to swallow the whole thing. I couldn't believe he actually got it down his throat. I thought he was going to choke on it but he didn't. But I knew it was way to big to come out the other end so I immediatly took him to the emergency vet where they gave him something to make him throw it back up. Luckily he did so there was no surgery needed.  Crazy mutt!
Beth

Milford Ohio

Thanks everyone for wishing Missy well and for commiserating with your own pet stories. It looks like Missy is goingto be just fine. She is back to chasing our other cat around, and has joined him again in the breakfast chorus  of mews. (she sings the high part)
Thank you again! :hug:

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Yvonne Bebbin Bears
Buckinghamshire
Website

Glad to hear Missy is back to her old self Tami...thats great news!!!!  bear_flower

Hugs Yvonne  bear_flower

Melbear Melbear's Quality Collectibles
Spruce Grove, Alberta
Website

Thank goodness to hear she is doing better. I am thankful my cat Ghost has no interest in eating things that are not cat food. I had a dog (Rotti) who would eat antything.. and one day a kid threw a basket ball over the fence and he had been playing with it... I never thought anything of it when it disapeared.. then my Dog was not feeling well.. didn't want to eat treats I had for him.. which was not like him at all.. I was just making him an apointment with the vet when he THREW UP A BASKETBALL, right in front of me!  bear_wacko he popped it..... then ate it... lol. That dog would eat anything. I was so shocked he would eat that though..lol.

Glad to hear your Kitty is feeling better.. sending her and you healing hugs!
Melanie

Board footer