Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Hi,
Has anyone tried the new bamboo stuffing?  If so, can you share how it stuffed and if you like it?
Thanks,
Donna

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I haven't tried it myself, but word is that it's very silky and soft . . . most people that have used it, love it.  I order from an online store that has hemp products.  I've tried their hemp muslin and canvas and have just ordered their fiber to use for stuffing.  They also have yarns, clothing, paper, twine, rope, etc.  So when I receive my stuffing, I'll report.  I really like the fact that it is a renewable source and environmentally sound.

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Interesting, Sue Ann. I'd be interested in the information and company, too, when you get your order.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Marlys, the company is  www.hemptraders.com  I ordered the "degummed" fiber.

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Thanks, Sue Ann. I've signed up for the newsletter and will be waiting to hear how you like it.

mingrul Our Blue Iguana

what is the outcome of bamboo stuffing compare to the polyfill? is there an advantage to this? hope you guys can give me an insight.. this is the first time i heared of it...  :redface:

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

The bad news on bamboo, corn, hemp, and other plant fibers used for stuffing is that they are a bit more expensive.  The advantage is that they are renewable sources and MUCH better for the planet.  Polyfil, if I am not mistaken, is made from fossil fuels.

Burbank, CA

Another thought is what is fiberfil doing to our lungs.  While we work on our bears small mohair fibers and polyfil are breathed into our lungs.  The mohair being a natural fiber will break down in our lungs and just go away.  Not so with the fiberfil.  So, am I willing to spend more to help my body or do I wear a mask while stuffing?  I just hope it stuffs as well as fiberfil!
Donna

mingrul Our Blue Iguana

bear_cry oh my gosh! i did not know that! does this mean that we are suppose to wear a mask when stuffing? Here they just call cotton, but what kind of cotton i have no idea and keep thinking it might be polyfil.

thanks for the information guys....

bearhug07 Strange Bears
Sydney

How would a bear go through customs over international borders stuffed with a plant fibre----I know wool and cotton are fine. Cotton is a plant so I'm assuming these would be OK too........but I thought I'd just check

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Hmmm . . . Sandra, I don't know, but the fact that cotton is a plant and is allowed, I'd think that others would be, too.

bearhug07 Strange Bears
Sydney

I have also just tracked down an Australian Supplier and will hopefully be playing wit some soon so watch both the magazine and this site for some info and feedback when I get my package........like Sue-Anne I have looked for the degummed fibre.

bearhugs

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Interesting... I hadn't heard of bamboo stuffing though I'm seeing bamboo used more and more for other fiber goods... towels especially.

Donna - my 'teddy teacher' mentioned "white lung" to me when I first started. 25 years of bear making and she says she has it... coughs a lot and gets chest cold (bronchitis) a lot. Who would have thought!

I'm going to check out Sue Ann's source..... the fabrics sound interesting too for a new project I'm working on.

I'm back! Sue Ann - lots of great hemp products on that site! I've ordered a sample of their stuffing & raw hemp (looks like a great substitute for excelsior!)!

Then I found bomboo stuffing on this site: http://www.fabricandart.com/index.html - on the left hand side the link to their bamboo and organic cotton stuffing in under the word NEW! They have tons of gorgeous fabrics, ribbons, trims, etc! I was very good and only bought the stuffing but I know I'll be revisiting both sites!

bearhug07 Strange Bears
Sydney

On the customs issue .........I was at a party last night and turned out one of the other guests worked for our customs dept....so it thought I'd be really rude and pick his brains........ bear_grin  His off the cuff comment was that cotton stuffing is generally known and they are aware of the processes that is foes through to be clean and ensure that no seeds or contaminating fibre are left in them. He had not herd of hemp or bamboo stuffing being used in toys but suggested that possibly until such time as it is known a certificate of the cleaning proccesses and a small sample be included with the bear. He was going to try and get me more info on Monday when he went back to work to see if any importer here has registered it.........we both assumed most of it would be imported and already approved so even including these detials might help to get the bear through intact.

mingrul Our Blue Iguana

bear_grin Sandra you gave this poor guy homework bear_tongue and here he thought he was just going to a party bear_original

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

My hemp fiber report:  there's good news and bad news.  I only got it today and really haven't tested it  enough - but was in the middle of stuffing a new rabbit, so tried it out.  For those of you that stuff firmly (I'm one), this product will go waaaay beyond your expectations.  It is NOT slick and has NO buoyancy, so stays precisely where you put it and packs very hard.  Bad news is that it is very lumpy.  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  I really had high hopes for this fiber as a stuffing.  I did end up using it to stuff around joints because of the way it packs - but had to stuff carefully to avoid the lumps.  Anyway, I'll use more of it and see if I come up with a different observation.  I'm off to order some bamboo fiber to see how it works.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Sue Ann, sounds like it has properties similar to Kapok. Is it 'linty'? 
What is kapok? Here's the answer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kapok Essentially it's a silky cotton, the fibers come from pods on a tree. It packs very hard, is lumpy and sheds a lot. The stuff I had I bought from a bear making supplier years ago who is now out of business. I don't know if it was a trial thing or if artists used it regularly at one point. Personally, I didn't like it.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Yeah, when I pull it apart, a bit of linty stuff flies, but I wouldn't describe this fiber as "silky".  I'll probably continue to use it around the joints until it's all gone.  For me, its main drawback is the lumpiness.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Have done some online research and found a site that carries both bamboo and corn fiber stuffings.  They also have the best prices out of the gazillion I looked at.  I ordered both kinds last night and will compare them to the hemp.  If anybody is interested, the website is:  www.roseannsdolls.com  Click on "Fairfield Products" on the left and you will see 'Bamboo stuffing' and 'Nature-fil fiber' which is the corn.

eteddys eTeddys
Phoenix, AZ
Website

How interesting.  I didn't know such things existed.  I'll have to research this.  Thanks for the web info Sue Ann.

Alison

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I got my bamboo stuffing and just had an opportunity to try it today. My feedback: The texture is strange..... silky.... cottony..... and it feels icky to me (to borrow Erin's term from another topic on stuffings). I don't care for how it packs... it does pack, but it doesn't. Not good for noses. It can be lumpy if you aren't careful. No loft at all.

After all this research I can now honestly say that for a 'renewable resource' I prefer to use wool stuffing! It packs beautifully and adds a bit of weight to the bear w/o spending money on glass beads or the like. And when embroidering noses I don't get white poly-fibers poking out like with polyfill. Also, a little bit goes a long way!

Here is one source for it: http://www.magiccabin.com/magiccabin/pr … 04&pgc=175 I LOVE this website for unique gifts and crafty stuff for kids!!

bearbottombears Bear Bottom Heirloom Bears
Nova Scotia Canada

Hi Thought I'd jump in on the discussion.  I was wondering if these natural fibers such as bamboo and hemp would in any way be attractive to bugs that like to burrow in wood products?  Just a thought.
Gail G

kellydean k e l l y d e a n & c o m p a n y
Narrowsburg, New York
Website
Daphne wrote:

Here is one source for it: http://www.magiccabin.com/magiccabin/pr … 04&pgc=175 I LOVE this website for unique gifts and crafty stuff for kids!!

oh, what a mean thing to do to me. . . give me another wonderful website full of magical things. . . how'm I gonna live without a forest friends bower, a magical toad home and toys toys toys. . .

I'm supposed to be paying bills, not eying new toys  :redface:  :redface:  :redface: (gosh sometimes I hate having to be a grown up)

ps isn't woodwool a natural product?  stuffs beautifully, packs hard, holds it shape perfectly

Burbank, CA

Hey Kelly,
I have a question for you about stuffing products.  I believe it was Trash Can Ted that in the description, it stated he was packed with silicone.  This gave him a more natural or realistic look and feel.  This product is different from the normal plastic pellets that we sometime use, correct?  I was looking at the silicone dolls at Expo and loved the way they bounced and moved when carried.  Is this a similar product?   I bought some of the squishy pellets that Edinburgh sold for awhile but did not see a difference in how it packed in the the bears.  Were these the same product that you are using?
Thanks,
Donna

Board footer