Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

After really building up resentment over undercutting my income with my wholesale arrangements -- MY fault and inner process, and not the retailers doing in any way at all! -- I recently told my retailers, Hey, this is what I'm willing to sell to you for, so as NOT to resent the entire process, and I have to get this price as a minimum, because I have to make ends meet.  Bearmaking is my job and I simply can't afford to earn hundreds LESS per bear, via wholesale arrangement, than I could make on my own.  That kind of undercutting  just doesn't make the relationship worth it.  And they agreed to move forward from there.  So, my retailers get a moderate discount over what I could sell for on my own, and then they mark up my bears to a mid- or high-point price for my work, compared to my "usual" eBay sale.  Does that make sense?

This new arrangement has given me a lot more freedom, and a lot less resentment, in working wholesale arrangements.

Also, there are places out there that allow you to set your own price, and then they take a comission.  Once you do the math it's roughly the same process, but psychologically, it somehow leaves you feeling more in charge and under control, as the artist, when it's done this way.

Pricing is THE hardest part of bearmaking, despite how hard it is to get these critters made in the first place.  And one day you might sell like hotcakes... the next day, be tired, or have saturated the market.  So I'm always sure, when things are going well for me, to keep my gratitude firmly in place.  And to focus on staying "top of mind" with collectors -- meaning advertising (when I can afford it,) retail relationships (because, as Jenny said, they really DO get your work out there to an audience you can't reach,) and contest entries. 

Oh, and maintaining my mailing list.  And forum participation. bear_original

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

All of the above are excellent points. If your bears are for sale in shops or on ebay of course you cannot list prices. I think that is perfectly understandable.

I was speaking about the bears that are for sale directly from the web site. I, like Laura just dont feel comfortable as a collector e-mailing the artist for the price. if that bear is in a shop or on ebay as many of you lovely artists have then I would not list the price either.

Many Hugs Louise

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

As a collector, I like to see the price up front.  If I had to email the artist, I would feel obligated to buy the bear and I don't like that.  If I see that an artists' bear is sold on ebay, then I would go to ebay to see the prices and I would know why they don't price their bears on their site.  It's like shopping at a store.  I don't want to have to ask for the price of a piece of clothing.  Plus, it might be more than I want to spend and I don't want to ask and then not want to spend that much anyway.  After reading all your posts, I didn't think about artists that sell to stores and all the stuff that goes along with it.  But if I wasn't on TT, I wouldn't have known that. 

Personally, I think more teddies should be free so then I could have a bigger collection.  bear_original  If you would like to send me a free teddy, I can email you my address.  I'm just kidding, ... well, kind of.  I know that artists work hard and it's not easy to make a bear.  I've done 2 bear classes with Koto Bears and we just made part of the bear.  I was horrible at it, but I had a lot of fun (not enough fun to make them all the time though - I just want to be a collector).  I had to ask for a lot, and I mean a lot, of help.  And I kept Band-Aids in business that day.  Those needles hurt!

heartsez Hearts Ease Bears
Fairfax,Vermont

great discsussion! I too have pictures on the site that are not priced..NOT because they are a big secret..my personal site has prices..but when i updated this time i did not link to the sites that actually carry these artists curently..it was meant to be a showcase for the Vt artists as a group..many are listed on their own or elswehere ( tho that may change in future) hope that does not discourage people from contacting any of our artists  for prices! like you ..they are all great gals and id hate to think i was harming them in some way instead of helping!! horrors! and actually many of them are busy and hard to keep up with..they sell wholesale also and attend any number of shows!!! if this is an issue to collectors i may have to pull down some of the pages?!  Vicky speaking of being in love.. your bears are stunning and i want prices :}:}:}:} deb

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original I like Shelli's solution to the shop vs. website problem. There's no reason not to have an upfront talk with the shopkeeper, if the current arrangement is losing you money. The shop's customer has the benefit of being able to see and handle the bear, and take it home right away, without paying for shipping. If the website prices are rising, it makes perfect sense to sell to shops for more!

Eileen

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Great topic, and great points, price setting is difficult, I am sure it is not intended for people to jack prices if they are not published on site, yes I can understand the misconception as well, yes it would turn people away if prices are not published on web sales.

I can relate to this as well when I am shopping online, thanks for bringing it to our attention. :clap:

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

Okay so now I have to go to my website and add prices. :redface:
I just didn't put prices because it was so time consuming ( yuck) But I will go back and add prices.
Kathy

Northern Nevada, USA

I went and added prices, I didn't put prices on the gallery page, just available bears.
do you thing I should list the price paid for gallery bears???? bear_ermm bear_shocked

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I dont put prices paid for adopted bears... that isnt really anyones business  :D

They cant be adopted because they already are adopted so there is not a reason to put prices... you are fine with the prices on the adoptable bears bear_original

kraftyladies Beary Lovely ... Bears by Susan
Florida

wow, I hope I haven't hurt anyone's feelings.  It was just something I was thinking about from both a collector and artist point of view.  I put prices only on the bears for sale.  Once they have been adopted, I don't think it is anyone's business.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I dont think you hurt anyones feelings, Susan, just bouncing around thoughts bear_original

heartsez Hearts Ease Bears
Fairfax,Vermont

i wasnt offended either!! great input!   deb

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original  I'v got to admit that I'm always very curious about the prices of adopted bears! That said, I agree that it's nobody's business but the collector's and the artist's. The collector might consider this a matter of privacy, too.

I think there's another, very practical reason for omitting the prices of adopted bears. What if your earliest bears sold for less than you're asking for the current ones--whether at shows, on eBay or from the website? Now that you're established, better known and more in demand, you'd want to sell for more--not to rip anyone off, but to pay costs and make a reasonable profit, for a change. If you posted prices for adopted bears, some collectors might object to paying the new and fairer and higher prices. Not good.

Eileen

Northern Nevada, USA

Oh I wasn't offended. In Fact it made perfect sense to me. I never look at Ebay auctions that don't post a gallery picture. I rarely ever bid if there is a reserve because I would just prefer to know the starting price and compete from there.

I too just keep going if I find something I want but there is no price listed. I go find something else.

I was just being lax with the web page I guess I was more concerned with getting the pictures and pages right. I went right back and put prices on the adoption page.

Thanks,
Kathy

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Eileen...that's an extremely good point. My first bears sold for around £75 and now I have very little under £175....however...given what other people have said, I think I'd better bite the bullet and put the prices on from now on...

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Interesting but  frustrating problem ...An experienced friend once gave me some very good advice on pricing to shops;

When marketing to shops ;It is extremely important to; " Set your OWN RETAIL prices ".  this means do not let them to set your retail price.  :rolleyes:

Different shops already know what they will allow for a discount to you... which means they are setting your wholesale price too ....what you get but you  may not want .... but of course it embarrassing to find out what this secret wholesale price is when you are face to face standing in their shop with teddy in hand .
Its true they have to mark up your item  to pay for all their expenses they have to run the shop...so many will " keystone " your item which is a mark it up of 100% of what your whole sale is....or what ever they think they can get .

All stores must do this to make a profit .. some do more..... like furniture stores, they may mark up 500% or even more...but wait...we are talking about " specialty or boutique shops " which is different that " stores".  They do order in manufactured  gift items ....so many shops will also try to get that 100% markup from your " unmanufactured item ". I have found that with many shops it is a set mentality  to do this...so what can you do?  Don't give them the power to start with....

You set the suggested  RETAIL price before you even walk into the shop AND  you charge the SAME price on your web site. There is no way you can know what discount ( wholesale ) price the shop will give you and it doesn't matter....because you know even if they go HALF of your retail
you will get "YOUR " wholesale price...if they go 30% less than retail then You  will get more. You have complete control as it should be....

If you cannot afford to sell to the shops in this way then don't do it...but perhaps you need to go back and refigure out what your actual costs are...the way I do this is ;
Raw  Materials, Labor  plus 5% to 10 % ( of Wages   ) add that up.... then add your profit of 10 to 30% =  YOUR COSTS.

Now double that figure for retail....Yes, double it...This is your suggested retail  price to the shops  and on your web site too.
At shows or on  special sales you can choose to " discount" certain items you want to clear out or if they are slow sellers.... YOU ARE IN COMPLETE CONTROL as it should be..... Winney

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Great advice, Winney... and thanks so much for posting it.

Where have you been lately?  I see you now and again, but miss your informed and supportive voice here.

Hope you're happy and well, bear_original

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Oh you are a sweetie Shelli..I have been ill off and on for months with anything and everything ..LOL..

No, really it sure knocks a hole in my energy and  ambition...I have COPD  already and then caught some weird one night flu..except with me it always turns into something else that lasts a lot longer like Rip Van Winkel sickness..yech !  Now..I am trying to build up my immune system with good foods and lots of Vita Veta Vegimins ( spell?) Let then germ buggers try and get me now ! :dance:

Gee...it feels good to be missed  bear_wub  awwww, trying to bear me up , well ya is doing it...... Fuzzy Hugs to everyone ...Winney

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that, Winney.  I knew you had COPD which is enough to deal with on its own, but piling more immune-compromising stuff on top of it -- it IS cold and flu season; that's hard -- must makes things that much worse, especially if it's a respiratory infection of some kind.

Big warm hugs your way!  And kudos to you, for doing what you can to stay strong and healthy.  Nothing wrong with some bulking up on vitamin power... or with taking some time away to rest and recover.

Be well,  :hug:

Board footer