Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

lulubears Posts: 280

Is anyone on the list going to be in Kansas City this coming weekend for the Jubilee?  I'm leaving early Thursday morning for the drive up - making two stops to pick up others to go along.  The four of us hope to have a great road trip and are hoping to sell lots of bears.  I've been working on new pieces so I'll have different things to share.

Luann

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Hi Luann,
I'll be there.  I head up on Friday from Wichita, Kansas.  My family is here so I came in last week to spend some time with them before the show.  After the show I need to get back to California because I have two shows in a row back there.  I don't know why I keep doing this to myself!  I keep thinking I will get smart and pace myself, but I don't.
Donna

Hi Donna.  We are actually planning on stopping for the night in Wichita as well.  I usually just drive straight through, but it's a 14 hour drive and we decide to take an extra day and enjoy stuff along the way.  My husband has relatives just outside of Kansas City, so I hope to get to catch up with them.  Have a safe trip - see you Friday night at the dinner and auction!

Luann

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Ironically I live not that many hours away from Kansas City and have never seen/heard advance advertisement for this uber famous show.  I chatted with one bear collector who always attended, and she was asking me the dates, which I didn't know.  They couldn't be bothered to send a collector the information!  bear_wacko

Still wishing any and all a fun time!!!!!!  :bday:

Wow!  I'm really surprised at that Debbie, as I live in Texas and get info on the show.  For promoters, it's VERY difficult to know where to advertise.  I know this show has been advertised in the Teddy Bear magazines, as well as the local papers.  Additionally, the show has it's own website and there is a link to it on the Good Bears of the World website.  This show has changed hands a couple of times now, and there was a lapse of about 2 years when it just didn't happen at all.  I'm glad that it is back and in full swing again.

I put it on the calendar on my own yahoo group and my website, and a number of other artists attending have put it on their websites as well.

Sometimes, even though people have attended a show for many years, they have not signed up to be on the promoter's mailing list.  There are people who have attended our show in Austin every year for the past 12 years and don't want to be on a mailing list, even though we only send them one postcard per year. 

If you find yourself at the show this year, look us up.  I'd love to meet you.

By the way, the show is this coming Saturday, September 12 from 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.  They are having an auction on Friday night with proceeds going to Good Bears of the World.  If anyone wants additional information, e-mail me - I'd be glad to help.

Luann

Thanks for the time and dates.  If I get a chance, I'll try to hunt you up  :photo:   ... bear_tongue  I sincerely doubt I could walk away without a new friend either  bear_wub   

I think they pretend that the 'locals' (ie those in the metro Kansas City area) know about the event.  But sadly, we only hear about it in the paper after the event.   bear_angry   There are SO MANY that they are not reaching.  They need to go beyond the teddy bear community if they think they will make an impact and make a selling difference for their people. IMO

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

and i thought I kept saying no its ok I was ok and didnt want special treatment yet you guys kept insisting is why I finally gave in.

I know that they reach beyond just the usual routes of the teddy mags, because my DH's Aunt & Uncle & cousins in Lee's Summit have always collected the newspaper columns about the show and saved them for me, whether it was during the Bill Boyd or Daniel & Joel years that I exhibited or in the few years since that I haven't been on the circuit.
Another Uncle was Editor of the KC Star so I know that the promoters advertised widely; on radio spots too. Short of canvassing the entire metro area and personally handing every citizen a flyer, there is no way to get everyone's attention. They all do the best they can!

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

I'm so sorry I couldn't make it this year.  I had a wonderful time last year!!  I know they even had some television news coverage last year.

Everyone have a great time for me!!!  bear_grin

smdogs gone to the dogs/sm dog designs
Kansas City Missouri
Website

Hi All,

I live in Kansas City and I will be visiting the show this year. I will not be exhibiting, but I am going to do some shopping.

I am looking forward to meeting you all.

Sheryl

That was the frustrating part for me living in Overland Park, KS (suburb of KC)  I kept always reading about this show as writeup....after it had happened.  I know that everyone does the best they can.  I just always found it frustrating to read about the event afterwards.  I'd rather know about it in advance. 

But as everyone's noted, really as a promoter, and as newspaper people, there is ONLY so much you can do to reach an audience.   bear_tongue

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Overland Park! I heard that name FOREVER while my MIL was alive! She grew up,  I think!! at 2236 (2436?) Glenwood, OP. We even went back to visit with the Aunt & Uncle I mentioned. The house was for sale at the time, so we could swing on the porch swing, walk all around it and match up all of the family stories to the actual locations.
Too bad you didn't know about the show when it was closer to you down at the Doubletree at Corporate Woods. It certainly has moved all around the whole circular area of metro KC!

I love the rolling hills and vistas of KC and MO; so much nicer than IL, well except during the ice storm part of the year. I'll take our snow storms any day over the combination of ice & hills!

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

I forgot to mention... my teddy teacher (who has just retired from bear making) is the one who made the souvenir bears for the KC show! 

And I wasn't clear about the TV news coverage last year... it WAS before the show bear_original  But Debbie... you've given me an idea for the Teddy Bear Collecting website... I'll announce it when I finally get time to add it bear_happy

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

The Kansas City show is my to-do list for next year! Can't wait to hear all about it!

Ya know, advertising is so tricky. There is always someone that SHOULD hear about a show but never does regardless of how much publicity the show gets, how many ads are run, postcards are sent, signs put up, etc.

I began seriously collecting bears in high school but it wasn't until I was 30 that I learned about artist bears by stumbling upon a bear show completely by accident near a shopping mall I was at. And I'd lived within a half hour of that show for 10 years and never heard about it! I made sure I got on the promoter's mailing list so I wouldn't miss another show!!!
bear_thumb

Board footer