Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Goldelocs Bears Goldelocs Bears
Brisbane

Hi, I am considering buying a basic Copic Airbrush kit that is powered by a pressure can and would like some opinions about this product. For the moment I just want it for basic shading aaround eyes and muzzle and perhaps on edges of paws and bunny ears, nothing too intricate just yet. I mainly want to get a feel for airbrushing before I invest alot of money into a professional one.
Has anyone used this product? Is it worth the money or should I save and get a better quality one?
Any help greatly appreciated  bear_original

Ann-Marie

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

I bought one of these a while back but wasn't very impressed as the cans are expensive and don't last very long but my main problem with it was that you have no control over the flow if you want to do small areas such as the eyes .I used it for paw pads and that wasn't much better either when trying to be precise.I would invest your money in a better one.If you check in the library there are whole sections about it.I use the copic pens on their own at the moment and they are fine and just what you need for smaller areas.I haven't invested in a decent airbrushing kit myself but will refer to the library when I need to as they recommend certain makes.
Laurie :hug:

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

I've heard nothing but bad reviews on the Copic airbrushing system.   Yes, save your money and get a good one.  You can get a "real" airbrush at a fairly decent price.  Plus, if you like the convenience of the  can for air pressure, they do have those available for regular airbrushes.

Hope that helps!

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I bought the copic airbrush system several years ago - used it a couple of times but was not impressed. Now I'm trying to get up the never to use the proper system I bought last year  bear_grin
I agree with Laurie - just get  the Copic pens and use them for shading = make sure you get the blender pen as well.

Marion

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Hi Ann Marie.  Welcome to Teddy Talk.  This is a subject that is very near and dear to my heart.  I have been airbrushing since 1983 and started airbrushing on  my bears and other animals in the early 2000's.  It is a wonderful way to add beautiful soft accents to your work if it is done properly.

I recommend using an acrylic based paint as it is soft and permanent when heat set.  There is quite a bit to learn with airbrushing and if yo look at the top left side of this page you will see a Teddy Talk Library with drop-down menu.  In this menu you will find a topic called "Airbrushing"...click on this and you will find lots of topic discussions on airbrushing loaded with information. bear_thumb

In a nutshell:
The Copic system will give you some-what of a feeling for airbrushing and I emphasize some-what.  You cannot get fine detail with the Copic airbrushing because it does not allow you to adjust the tip.  So what you get is a wider spray.  With a commercial airbrush you can adjust the paint flow for a wide area coverage down to a fine line for up close tiny details.  The Copic system uses inks which leave a residue feeling on mohair.  Acrylic paints can be applied so they are undetectable to the touch. 

Aircans like Propell are good for about 9 to 10 minutes of use....and you cannot control the pressure on these cans.  You'll use it up just on all your practice pre-airbrushing stokes.

I don't like to turn anyone off from trying something new I just caution that you will not get the full feel of airbrushing from this system.  If you want to just get that "some-what" feel then try it.
Many people love airbrushing and others find it is not for them as it can be difficult and messy, and it is an investment to buy an airbrush system.
If I were you I woudl read all the topic discussions in our library and then decide. bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb   And you can always ask more questions right here where there will be lots of friendly help :hug: .   Happy Reading!!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I used my Copic "airbrush" system once... its been sitting in a drawer collecting dust for a few years now! I was NOT happy with it!
I have a Paasche airbrush... the "real thing".... and haven't gotten up the nerve to try it so am still using oil paints, pencils, etc. but I'll never use that Copic airbrush again!

I'm happy to mail my Copic airbrush to you if you want to pay postage... you can at least try it with out investing much!

Brisbane

Hi, Thankyou all for your advice it has been very helpful  bear_thumb
I think for the moment I will stick to using the pens and invest in a better quality system in the future.

I'll definatley check out the achives and find out alot more on this subject  bear_original

Ann-Marie

Brisbane
Daphne wrote:

I used my Copic "airbrush" system once... its been sitting in a drawer collecting dust for a few years now! I was NOT happy with it!
I have a Paasche airbrush... the "real thing".... and haven't gotten up the nerve to try it so am still using oil paints, pencils, etc. but I'll never use that Copic airbrush again!

I'm happy to mail my Copic airbrush to you if you want to pay postage... you can at least try it with out investing much!

Thankyou for the offer Daphne, I'll keep it in mind bear_original
Ann-Marie

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Yep, They aren't worth the money. by the time you have had a few practice shots the can is empty. A very expensive way of adding detail.
and if you have to send away for the markers and cans and find they are empty when they arrive you are then set up for a whole heap of hassle.
Give them a miss possum. They're not worth it.

karenaus Melbourne
Website

I'm late to the party as usual lol but I have both systems and I did find the Copic system good for some things, I even used it on tiny bears with good results. I would even use it for quick jobs when I didnt feel like dirtying my airbrush.The small aircans do run out fast but you can get a larger can which lasts much longer and is way more economical. If you are not doing many bears  and they are medium to large size it is a good option, however you can't beat the real thing.
    Getting a good airbrush and small compressor in Australia was really expensive a few years ago when I got my , current airbrush, but checking Ebay.com.au recently we found one guy that has both the airbrush ( same as mine, Paasche) and compressor (same specs as mine) for not much more than I paid for my airbrush alone! So shop around when you do decide to make the plunge bear_original

Board footer