Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

(aka Grub Screws)

I've been asked recently about set screws and how to use them, what size washers, locnuts etc. so thought I'd share it here.

Jointing Supplies

For 1/8" ID Discs:
Set Screws: 3/4", 1", 1 1/4" or 1 3/4"x 1/8" ID (longer length for neck joint or when using thick fur.)
Washers: 3/8" or 3/16" ID (either will work just fine!)
Locnuts: small... 1/8" ID

For 1/4" ID Discs:
Set Screws: 1 1/4" x 1/4" ID
Washers:  1/4" ID
Locnuts: large... 1/4" ID

Jointing Tools

For 1/8" ID Screws:

Allen Key for 1/8" screw
Wrench/Rathcet Wrench: 5/16"

For 1/4" ID Screws:

Allen Key for 1/4" screw
Wrench/Ratchet Wrench: 7/16"

For a written and picture tutorial on assembling these joints please click here:

http://www.backroadbears.com/joints.htm

This tutorial is on my website as my workshop students often ask for pictures while doing home work. I just threw it together tonight. Your constructive criticism is welcome. I will be redoing step by step photos in the near future  but wanted to get something up for a friend tonight.

Thanks!
Daphne

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hey, those are some excellent instructions, Daphne.  Really.  I don't even know how to use set screws.  Or, I didn't ... until now.  I use locknuts and bolts, with nut turners (they look like screwdrivers), one inside the body, one outside, to tighten.  It's basically the same setup, but with slightly different hardware, and very different tightening methods.

Great!  Thanks for posting this!  I'm sure it will help an army of bearmakers.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I still use bolts on the limbs but a set screw joint on the head.

The plus of set screws is that you can stuff and close the head or limbs after inserting the screw to that body part. Then joint it to the body. No glue etc. Also, many of my students are, um... how do I say this nicely?... older and have a hard time with tools and coordination; getting one tool in the arm, one in the body, keeping them there and doing the twist all at the same time! Heck, it's got nothing to do with age! I have trouble sometimes!

An allen key with a nice sized handle on it and a little wrench are all you need.

We all have to use what we are most comfortable with. But it's nice to have options!

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Daphine!! Soo kind!!
I use cotter pins, and I'm just about done with them, so I really appreciate the diagrams.
Question, can I just go the hardware store and ask for this stuff by name?? I hope so.

Thanks again,

Heather

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Heather,
You should be able to do that. I often find it hard to get the right sized set screws tho' so I order all my joint supplies in bulk from Edinburgh. They are chearper than the hardware store in the end! No sure about that with all the shipping fees to Canada though.
Daphne

sandi Snowy Day Bears
St. Albans, VT

Daphne,
I am really enjoying your tutorials.  As you may remember you are the one who started me on using the set screws.  I always use them to join the head now.  I also like to be able to completely finish the limbs before I attach them.  The problem I am having is holding on to the small allen wrench.  I noticed yours has a handle.  Is that type of thing available for the 1/8 size? 

Sandi

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Hi Sandi.... I just reread my tutorial and it seems I've missed the whole part about actually inserting the screw into the body, THEN tightening. HA! But you all are smart so what am I worried about?

As for that allen key with the handle. I got that from Edinburgh. It's the larger 1/4" one. For 1/8" I got the bit that goes in my changeable screw driver. You can use it in a hand-held screw gun too. I'm figuring you can get the bit at the hardware store. I got mine from Donna here on the board when I got a stuffing stick from her.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to comfortably hang on to that little tiny allen key. It hurts, the thing bends...... so search out a bit like I've got OR you may find a 1/8" allen wrench with a regular screwdriver handle. My hubby got me one of those but because the 1/8" is so small the handle is still really small and not much help.

Daphne

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

Daphne,
The information on your web site is great. I have been using set screws since Edinburgh introduced them. I use them for the same reason. I can sew my heads and just have the opening at the neck. Then I can stuff the head and get a nice "round" shape. It saves so much time.
I don't know of any local hardware store that sells set screws. They are used in timing elements for engines I think. And most of the time they are no more that 1/4" to 1/2" long. I went to the local store to get some and the guy just stared at me. "What c'ya need 'em that long for?" so I told him. He looked in his order book to see if they could order them. "Nope, we cain't get 'em." Thanks. But we can get everything else we need there and save on shipping. I use metal fender washers for most of my joints. they are slimmer than the fiberboard and anything else I can find, plus they add more weight to the bear so I use less shot.
The only thing you might want to show like you said is when you insert the joints into the head and limbs and then the body.
I think I am babbling so I will go now.

sandi Snowy Day Bears
St. Albans, VT

Well, I'm glad to hear that it is typical to have trouble holding on to that tiny allen wrench.   I thought it was just me.  I have been using a pair of needle nose pliers to hold the allen wrench.  I found a set of wrenchs in a case.  The wrenches swing out like blades in a jack knife there by giving me a handle.  I haven't used it yet but I am hoping it will work out better than my present method.

I learned not to ask the guy at the hardware store for the kind of stuff we need.  They never have it and the conversation always goes just as Jared described.  It is just a lot of wasted time and the hardware guy thinks the whole thing is just plain weird.

Sandi

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Jared & Sandi - Yup, I agree with the hardware store thing. But in my small town the wife and a sister and a niece of the owner of the hardware store all work there and think what I do is so cool. So, they've trained HIM to be nice and respectful of my bears and my business. (Not that I'm keeping them in business buying nuts and bolts!)

I was taught to make bears leaving an opening in the head, jointing it onto the body then stuffing and closing the head seam. Well, do you think I ever got the head stuffed to a nice shape or the nose straight? NOPE! Then someone introduced me to set screws while I was doing my first bear show (with egg shaped heads... no wonder they didn't sell!) and I've never gone back to the 'old way'!

I don't like to stuff and close my limbs before jointing... not sure why but I don't so I still use bolts for the limbs. I"m sure the end result is the same there. But the difference it makes on the head!!! Wow!

Jared, you are right, I need to add a photo or two and a bit more info. I've got a huge show next weekend 11/19 so once that is done I'll see what I can do to fix it!  Thanks!

Daphne

Mark Mark's Bears
Albuquerque, NM

Hi all,

I used to have great luck finding all the parts I needed from a LOCAL hardware store, the type where you go in with a broken part from the house and some 90+ year old guy comes over, looks at what you have and digs out the parts you need from some drawer in the back corner of the store.  My local hardware store just went out of business courtesy of Lowe's and Home Depot among other huge chain stores.   bear_angry  The chain stores only sell in boxes of 5 or 6 parts which gets expensive when you have to buy a couple packages per bear.  I just hope that Intercal and Edinburgh keep handling those kinds of parts.

Happy bear trails,

Mark

Polo, IL

Mark,
If you move out our way you can still find the local hardware stores.

We have a few in our area and they like to see mom. She will tell them to order her 1000 pieces and while they look at her funny they don't really care because they figured out if they keep her happy she will come back and spend more money. She might order 1000 bolts, 1000 nuts, and 4 or 5 different sizes of fender washers in lots of 1000. It gives them business, plus I don't have to pay the shipping. We get weird looks from the young girls behind the counter more than we do from the men. They see us order those quantities and are happy to help us.

Oh well that's how it goes.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

:D

Also, many of my students are, um... how do I say this nicely?... older

:D

:hug: Daphne, you're so cute!! I'm probably the one old lady who manages with pliers and a screwdriver!!  :cool:

Eileen

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

So...I got my set screws today and now I'm afraid I didn't get them long enough.  I order 1" length...should I get longer ones?  They just seem so short once you put a locknut, washer disc x 2 and then bear fur.... 

My bears lately have been about 10 - 14 inches.

Polo, IL

Shantell,
It helps if you trim the mohair a bit around the neck openings in the headd and body.
But it never hurts to have your set screws too long.
We have found that using 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" set screws cover most of our bears and hares nicely.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Shantell,
Jared is right....Definitely trim the fur between the joints.
For example: I lay a leg down, place disc on top to mark my hole with a marker.
Then I trim the fur away... an area the same size, maybe just a tad smaller than the disc is. Trim fur the same on the body where leg will attach.

Remember, when putting the nut on the closed end of the set screw, the end of the screw doesn't need to poke out too far!!

Try the 1" and see how they work for you. If they are short then order longer ones. Someone on the board who makes smaller bears might buy the 1" from you. You'll probably want longer ones for the neck... I always find that I do.

Daphne

Mark Mark's Bears
Albuquerque, NM

Shantell,

I have been using 1" screws without any problems.  My bears are also in the 10 - 16" range.  The end of the screws just barely stick out from the end of the lock nut.  I am experimenting with double jointed necks and I want as little screw sticking out from the locknut as possible.  So far I have tried a double jointed neck with muslin and although I have a very naked looking bear it seems to work.  My next experiment is with mohair.

Jared,

I used to live in WI so I am not very excited about returning to the cold of the great midwest, I do love the people though.  My blood has thinned out living in NM for the past 20+ years.  I start to shiver when it gets down to 40.  :)

Happy bear trails,

Mark

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Jared, Daphne, Mark...

Thank you thank you thank you...I'll probably go ahead and order a few longer ones just in case...and for the neck of course.  It must just be in my blood to never get EVERYTHING I need at once.  Murphy's Law I tell you...it's haunted me since day one!!!  :wacko:

Much Luv!!!

Shantell

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I also now have to get some. I'm lucky though, because my friend is an auto mechanic and he can get me some to try out for FREE!!!!!!!!

Shantell, I'm just like you,have to have at least 1 of everything, just in case.

Daphine, or anyone else that would know, can I use lock washers as well?? My mechanic friend told me about them and I was just wondering if they would work the same.

Heather

Heather

Deb Upstate New York
Shelli wrote:

I use locknuts and bolts, with nut turners (they look like screwdrivers), one inside the body, one outside, to tighten.  It's basically the same setup, but with slightly different hardware, and very different tightening methods.

Me too.  Is there an advantage of some sort to using set screws?  Anyone interested in collaborating on a idiot proof bear making book.  I sure need one.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I also use the same method as Shelli . . . locknuts and hex-head bolts with nut drivers to tighten.  The very easiest on people with arthritic hands!

Polo, IL

Deb -
I have the title...

Making Teddy Bears for Dummies.  :lol:

Or...

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Making Teddy Bears.  :lol:

Not that any of us on here are Dummies or Idiots, well you get the idea...

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

I have never used this method.  All the joints, 3/4in and up, are called glued joints.  Meaning that the screw head is glued directly to the disk and then on the other end I use another disk and washer and lock nut.  It is really really easy to use. bear_wub :dance: :dance:

Has anybody ever used glued joints?

Jane

Deb Upstate New York

Jane ~ Never glued a joint.

Jared ~ I get the idea alright.  bear_happy  How about Bearmaking 101?  Oh, I got it ... Remedial Bearmaking!  I could have really used such a book around bear #3 or 4.   bear_wacko

sandi Snowy Day Bears
St. Albans, VT

Jane,
I always used to use the glued  joint method.  When the joints stayed glued everything worked out fine.  All to often though I heard the pop when I was tightening the joint and realized the glue had given way.  This happened so often that I started to use set screws.  I still prefer the glued joint method but need to find a glue that doesn't fail me. 

Sandi

Board footer