Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

SGFOLKART SUE GORRIE FOLKART
West Coast

Hi everyone. I am trying out the needle sculpting thing and seem to be running into a few glitches.
I am trying it out on a muslin prototype head, stuffed with premium polyfill. Using a strip of waxed eyefloss for thread. I think the head is stuffed firm enough. Trying to get more definition in the septum area. It seems to look like the bear is puckering up for a big kiss or something.
Does everyone actualy take a stitch? Or do you enter out of EXACTLY the same place you exited? When I do this, the muslin doesn't take the shape, but you can feel that the stuffing is sculpting underneath.
I have read the info under mouths and muzzles. From what I understand, you basically do a zigzag formation upwards. However, I seem to be lost as to pulling in the septum area.
Anyone care to enlighten me any further?
Thanks.
Sue   bear_ermm

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

Hi Sue! bear_flower   I do take a teeny, tiny stitch when entering the spot I want to pull in, making sure I catch at least a few threads so they don't break when I pull hard.  This will shape your fabric along with the stuffing underneath.  It also helps to get more definition and reduces stress on the fabric if you hold the spot in with a thumb while pulling the thread tight.  So it doesn't slip, you may need to hold it until you pull the thread back through again to take another stitch.  Bring your needle back in exactly the same place when you don't want your stitches to show (like returning to the face from the back of the head).  On this stitch, don't pull hard so the stuffing isn't moved and you won't end up with a "pit" under your fabric......it will be as if you never stitched in that spot.  I hope this helps! :hug: Have fun while you're learning!  This is a great time to explore and experiment! bear_thumb

Board footer