Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

SGFOLKART SUE GORRIE FOLKART
West Coast

Hi everyone! Was wondering how the downturn in the economy was affecting everyone's business.
For me with the Canadian dollar PLUMETING, getting my supplies at a reasonable cost is the problem. Should have bought lots of stock when the dollar was high. I love the medium dense fabrics, but it looks like I will be enjoying the cheaper sparse mohairs for a while.   bear_smile
How does everyone cut costs if at all possible when making hierloom products?
Sue

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Hi Sue
I am also a Canadian and am sick about our falling loonie. Hard to understand it being this way when our economy is relatively good so hope it rebounds. Have you looked at purchasing from Disco Joints and Teddies here in Ontario- www.discojoints.on.ca They deal exclusively with Intercal
Hugs
Gail
The one good thing about the low loonie is when you sell a bear in US dollars you get a lot more for it

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Hi Gail I just wanted to make a small correction on your post . Disco Joints does not deal exclusively with Intercal,  Disco Joints deals mainly with their own mills in Germany, they do carry some of Intercal's mohair however but a large percentage is their mohair.   Just wanted to make that little correction.

hugs

Shane

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Yeah, our aussie dollar has fallen dramatically too, we're a lot like Canada it seems.  The good news is, we get to sell our work for less USA dollars and still make our usual profit, there is an up side  bear_tongue  I'm kicking myself too though, I was going to try out some of Stephanies sassy products when the dollar was so good...even Intercal, for the experience, as I always buy from Aussie retailers...but, will wait for the next rise...drat, I just realised I didn't renew my sub to TBF either  bear_shocked

tuppies teddies Tuppies Teddies
Lindenow, Central Gippsland

I used to try and list on e-bay every 7 days but have cut it back to one a month...as it has been very quiet of late..just to keep the fees down..

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Hi Shane
Thanks for the correction- I guess I should have eliminated the word exclusive!!!!
Hugs
Gail :hug:  :hug:

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

Six auctions no bids, If you look at Bid4 bears , I had four auctions and noted that of all the bears listed there only 2 had bids. The same trend on Ebay fewer listings and even fewer with bids. A good time to buy bears as the prices have dropped so great if you are are collector but not so great if you are an artist. Of course top sellers are still drawing high bids but the rest just seem to be limping along.

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Well, the dollar is no longer so good for me in terms of buying fabrics from the US, but on the flip side, my bears will now be easier to buy for Americans and shipping costs won't hit them so badly, so it's all swings and roundabouts.  I will have to be keep a close eye on how and where I'm purchasing materials - it's easy to carry on as usual and then get hammered by the exchange rate!

As yet I haven't noticed an obvious drop in my UK sales as a result of the inevitable recession, but with our media constantly focusing everyone's attentions on a 'credit crunch' I'm aware that may change next year, particularly at shows.

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio
OzMatilda wrote:

fortunatly, i haven't been affected at all and still have the same amount of orders as usual..it's just me trying to get energy to finish them all before Christmas holidays....

Same here, Lisa,  and I just had my first ever complete sell out show right here in the USA. And I wasn't the only one who had great sales there. My mom suggested that when times are hard people look to things that make them happy and bring comfort and Teddy Bears Surely fit that bill! bear_flower

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

bear_sad  My best shows are GONE!
My best selling shows were the Disney Show and the Washington D.C. EXPO and they both have canceled for 2009. I'm really studying online venues as a way to keep contact with my collectors.
Karen
KJ Lyons Design

Waterloo, Ontario

Karen with the Disney show, wasn't it difficult when they took 50% of the sales.  I've never done the show but wondered if they take so much was it really worth doing, could someone actually make money at that show.  Just curious as I don't fully understand how that show worked in the first place  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin .

Everything happens for a reason, so maybe this was the universes way of telling you start going in a different direction regarding shows.

big hugs

Shane

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Unfortunately, I've had to cut out advertising in bear mags and will not be able to afford participating in shows.  We're retired and our retirement funds have been almost wiped out . . . so everything has to go except the essentials.   bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad

Waterloo, Ontario

Thanks so much Lisa for explaining how it worked.  As I said it was never really explained to me at all, all I knew is that it was stressful and a ton of work  (although I figured there had to be benefits to it if people kept doing the show).

I have to agree as well that people will find you no matter where you are or where you go, everyone has a following and those collectors will track you down  bear_grin  bear_grin .  As I said before it is the experience in meeting the artist and that's why it's so important to do a couple of shows a yr at least.  It's great to be able to sell on the internet but there is nothing like being at a show and meeting the collectors.  It's such a weird feeling having people come up to you and they seem to know so much about you and you have never met them before, I LOVE that part .  I remember the first time I met Art Rogers I could barely speak, he was someone whom I had admired for yrs and and I was so shy when I got the opportunity to meet him.  I know how a collector feels because I collect and let me tell you I love meeting the artist, when I am attending a show and I see who's going to be there, I get all excited and have to plan my morning.  Hurry and do the set up and then run to the artist table that you want to meet before the doors open.    (wow I sound like a raving lunatic don't I lol  )

We also have had to cut back, we are still doing shows but most of the ones in the US are only being attended by Steve, because the cost of airfares have gone up so much it's not beneficial for both of us to go.  I am going to put a picture of me on a stick and Steve can set that up at the table so at least people won't forget who I am  :crackup:  :crackup:. 

big hugs 

Shane

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

I did get the email Lisa, but didn't read it  bear_whistle  hehe, but yeah, I've got a few things I need to buy in the next few days.

Waterloo, Ontario

Well it would be a real joy to meet you in person Lisa that's for sure, and to see your bears in the fur.  As you can tell we don't do traditional bears  bear_grin  bear_grin , and normally I am not attracted to that style but I have never seen one of yours that I didn't like.   So who knows one day we may make it to Oz, but that flight is a killer  bear_grin .

We use to do a lot of shows and one yr we did 12 or 13 , plus we still have full time day jobs so it was very difficult on us then when Steve collapsed one day at a conference and was rushed to the hospital with exhaustion that's when we decided to have a look at our schedule and maybe scale back a bit. 

big hugs 

Shane

Board footer