Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Has anyone seen the movie 'Changeling'?

During the scene at the railway station, the mother, Christine Collins' character is wearing a pair of period, handmade lace gloves.

In the scene in which she is being presented with an impostor son, her hand is held up to her mouth for a very long time, through the many times that the camera focuses on her face, in very close-up images.

For the life of me I could not figure out if the gloves were of bobbin lace, tatted or crocheted. There were elements of all 3 in them.
If anyone else who knows these 3 skills sees the movie or gets the DVD when it comes out, I'd love to hear your opinion!

Bobbie R

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

gloves2.jpggloves.jpgI don't know how they were made but here are two pics I found
Marion

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

glove.jpgThanks Marion - I was looking for a picture and couldn't find a good one.  Here's a crop of the glove, if it helps, Bobbie.

hugs,

Brenda

suburban Chicago

Thank You Both, we're on the right track!

Kingfisher Farm Teddies Kingfisher Farm Teddies and Folk Art
Illinois

Hi Bobbie, when I was in France I saw these sold everywhere, and the ones I saw were crocheted. These look like that to me too. Pam

suburban Chicago

I thought the sections covering the fingers might be crocheted, but the circles or wheels of lace on the back of her hands above the wrists are definitely tatted or bobbin lace. I do all 3 and only done sts like these in tatting and bobbin lace.
More than likely, the wheels (whorls?) were created separately and incorporated into the gloves at 'creation' time.

Pam, when was your time in France? Recently? We were passing through, probably spending a week there each trip during the years of 99 - 2005. Don and I went off on our own into all sorts of forays on our own; I've never seen anything like these.

PLEASE - if they are currently available today (and just to be found at antique shops / prices) I'd love to have one of our French friends look into buying a pair for me!

Kingfisher Farm Teddies Kingfisher Farm Teddies and Folk Art
Illinois

Nuns were selling them outside en plein aire at a church . I was there in 1980. And I think you are correct, the circles would have been incorporated after they were made. Pam
It was the summer I will never forget.

Board footer