Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

This is really getting annoying.  I don't know what to do.  this has been happening alot lately. this time i'm up at 2am and i am exasted.  does anyone have any exerience with this.  my mother has the same issuebut the doctor says its from menopause aka mental pause bear_grin I am to young for that.  help pllease.

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

Hi Jenn, sorry to hear you can't sleep. I rarely have this problem, but when I do it is usually because of some other problems. I tend to start thinking in bed when I'm upset about something and once my brain is all worked up, I can't fall asleep. The alternative is waking up way too early, which is just as bad. I have no real remedy, but sometimes a big glass of milk helps. (Calcium activates the sleeping center in the brain) I also try to relax and think of pleasant things. Physical workout during the day is great of course, but not always possible. Don't drink alcohol, because while it may make you sleepy in the beginning, it will keep you awake a few hours later. No caffein, but I guess you know all this. Perhaps you can lower the temperature in the bedroom? Definitely no tv in bed, because your brain will get the wrong associations about what kind of activity is ok in what place. Psychology plays a big roll in sleeping patterns.

I'm afraid I wasn't of much help, but you have my sympathies and I really hope you will find back to a healthy sleep.

Hugs

Sabine  :hug:

plushkinbear BEAR ME SHOOTKA
Vladivostok, RUSSIA

Jenn, sorry about that. :hug:
I try to go to sleep when I really want to sleep. It's usually around 2-3 a.m. If I'm in bed and do not want to sleep, I fall asleep and then wake up at 4-5 and stay awake to 6-7 o'clock. It's much worse then to go to sleep at even 3 o'clock. I think.. :doh: :love:

Good night Jenn (it's 11:06 p.m. at my place) :dance:

Hugs, Julia

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Well Jenny, you're not the only one with sleeping troubles. I usually have big difficulties to get asleep... Often takes me hours before I finally sleep. My brain just cannot stop working when i am in bed. I think, think, think so much about every kind of thing... But i never managed to find an issue of such a problem and never found the button on/off of my brain  :mad:. i have deduced such a button just did not exist, so I gave up!!!  :/

I hope your problem will be easier to solve!

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

Terrie Terries Bears
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

That is too bad Jenn. When I can't sleep, I find that reading a fiction novel helps.

Pipa UK

try having a nice bubble bath before bed. with some herbal bubbles to relax and sooth you etc !!
don't eat before bed. try having a cup of hot chocolate before bed perhaps.  bear_original

nettie scotland
Website

I had insomnia for a few years and tried all sorts.The best is to be like a baby and have a routine.Hot bath warm drink and either an hour of drivel on telly or an easy read.I still fall back on this is my brain won't stop.Lavender under the pillow and a hot water bottle to hug help.I have one that is a wooly rat.It has been about minus 3 at night here so a ot water bottle is great.
Good luck.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Jen,
it is too annoying when this happens.  What do you do? 

Do you toss and turn, do you fret,  Do you get up and wander around?  A hot bath or shower?

There are some old fashioned remedies that help- I used to use hot milk with rum and a little sugar,

Then I took up the gollybear life style.  Now I fall asleep wondering about pattern changes, costumes, that sort of thing.

Last night I thought a lot about Shari, but usually there isn't a problem

Have you asked your doctor what can be done? 

Are you worried about things? 

Sometimes sorting through these things can help....

Sometimes journaling can help.

Sometimes reading quietly for an hour before sleep can help.

I would rather not discuss over the counter medications that are used in nursing homes until you try the non-drug remedies.....it is too easy to get used to the medication and then need it for far too long.

You have 4 or 5 bears you are concerned about getting done before Christmas....could this be weighing on your mind?

I'm sorry honey- I know it is a real drag.

:cry:

Dilu

kraftyladies Beary Lovely ... Bears by Susan
Florida

Hi Jenn,

Exercising a couple of hours before your bedtime can help.  Also drinking a glass of warm milk before you go to bed is supposed to help, it has tryptophan that helps release serotonin and help you sleep.  Establishing a regular nightly routine helps too.  Try a hot bath before you go to bed or maybe someone can give you a back rub? That relaxes you and helps you to sleep.
I would say something about sleeping meds, but I don't recommend them.  Try natural ways first.
Maybe some of these things will help?
Susan

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I know you probably need to try the natural remedies first, but if I have a hard time getting enough sleep several nights in a row, I take a couple of antihistamines before I go to bed.  Sleep like a baby!

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

Dilu,  The only thing bothering me about my bears is I am scared no one will like them bear_ermm I am working on yours and Julia's now.  I am going to fix some tea. :hug: Jenn

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

My dear Jenn,  :rose:
Perhaps you need a lovely glass of wine, a piece of chocolate and a hot bubble bath!!   bear_original  Sounds lovely.......see yah!   :dance:

Silly smiles and warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

Hi Jenn

I go through this phase every year - for a couple of months I just can't sleep.  Unfortunately I know that there's nothing I can do but ride it out.  It doesn't help that I have an inherited blood disorder which means I should get a good 10 hours sleep a night at the bare minimum. 

Sometimes the best thing to do is get up - do something that requires no thinking and then get back to sleep.

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

I suffer from insomnia on a regular basis. It comes with the hormone changes during my menstral cycle, I have menstral migraines too. It usually only lasts a night or two.
I just try to tough it out. Sometimes the antihistamines that Sue ann said is the way that I go. A couple of benadryl and I am out for the night.
Kathy

Board footer