Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Bramblewoodbears Bramblewood Bears
Brooklyn, Washington

Hi everyone.....boy, has it been a long time since I have visited here!  Good to be back......
I have decided to graduate myself from crocheted bears to sewn mohair bears, YAH!  bear_laugh  I am very excited about this new venture....so, now onto my question....

I have been reading quite a lot on mohair.  Preparing it, conditioning it, brushing it etc.  I feel that my big problem with it is when I am turning.  The hair is so pretty prior to this step, but after I turn the bear right side out....wow, one big messy mohair bear!

I have tried spritzing it with water and brushing it and it goes in the direction I like, but never returns to its original glory of tuffed curly bliss.  It still just seems so messy (on the medium length mohair).  bear_angry

Is this something that mohair conditioning would fix?  Does it restore the original curly look?  Perhaps it is the way I am turning the piece?  I try to leave a very large opening to turn it through.....

Thanks for your input and advice!  I look forward to getting to know you all.  I have seen some amazing and breathtaking creations here.....quite inspiring!

Hugs,
Tomi Delaney

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

If it is curly matted mohair, it will never return to that look if you have brushed it.  I have found with regular curly mohair, if you dampen it and then scrunch it with your fingers the curl will return, just like human hair, brush, then scrunch
Joanne

Brooklyn, Washington

Thank you Joanne for your advice....I think it will just take me some time to get used to this new medium.  The more I think about it, the mohair is a sort of sparse and not very dense, so it just may be that factor as well and using it on a smaller bear.
Thank you for your input!
bear_wub
Tomi

karenaus Melbourne
Website

Usually curly mohair will return to pretty much it's pre-brushing state once you start working with it-  I use Intercal's curly matted furs a lot for things from 3-18", I usually brush the pieces out after they are stuffed but before they are jointed (on the small bears) and by the time the bear is finished it's pretty much settled back into curls again, I've never had to spray it with water or anything.    Have you finished the bear yet? Perhaps it just needs time to settle back down again.

Brooklyn, Washington

Karen,
I appreciate your input.  Looking at my bear again, I do think I may have used too long of mohair for such a small bear, so I think that is the real problem  :doh:
Well, live and learn  :redface:
I adore your bears by the way!  I visited your website and it was such a delight to peek at your adorable creations.
Hugs,
Tomi

Bev College Place, WA

Dear Tomi   Sometimes you can just shake it after you turn it and it will lay down. I wouldn't wet or comb, very hard curly mohair. bear_grin

Brooklyn, Washington

Thank you all for your advice...I truly appreciate it.

Board footer