Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I can't seem to even get anyone to "watch" my bears...are they just crap or what?  I'm very disappointed...again.

Simple clear constructive critism would be helpful...you can check out my auctions under the Ebay ID:  Shanternelli...or just look at them in the Bears for Sale section.

Thanks

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Shantell , your bears are great.  Ebay is just so saturated right now I think.  I know sometimes I get watchers , other times not many.  It is discouraging but hang in there.  It takes time to attract just the right buyers.  It's also hard not to go totally crazy waiting.  I'm still waiting most times so you are not alone .   :hug: :hug:

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

:hug: Shantell,

Your bears are adorable, wonderful, beautiful--it's not you or your bears, it's the stupid eBay market. Even since I started watching last spring, the number of bears has exploded!! Just keep hanging in there for the exposure and cheap(ish) advertising, and sooner or later people will recognize you--

First as a regular,  :|
then as a namebear_original
then as a BIG NAME.  :D

Hang in there, kid!  :hug:

Eileen

kraftyladies Beary Lovely ... Bears by Susan
Florida

Shantell,

Your bears are great!  I get discouraged on there too, but there are soooo many bears listed on there now, that usually people don't even see them until you have 2 or 3 days left. From my experience as a buyer, I look at the ones ending soonest, and usually get bored after looking through pages and pages.  And as a seller, to be honest, I haven't put any on ebay for a long time, because it seems like unless you are a VERY popular artist, you seem to get overlooked, and I have gotten discouraged as well.  And I am not going to lower the price to just anything so they will sell either. 
Have you listed your bears other places, like on Bear Pile?  just to get your bears out there....
I am sure you will have some watchers and bidders closer to the end of your auctions....  because your bears are adorable!
Susan

plushkinbear BEAR ME SHOOTKA
Vladivostok, RUSSIA

Shantell, I do think your bears are great too!!
I like you Daisy Mae. She's got the look.  bear_thumb :love:

Keep going, don't give up. The right customer in a right time in a right place will find you.

:love:
Julia

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Shantell, you're not doing anything wrong, my friend, and your bears are wonderful!  I don't have the courage or gumption or whatever to even list anything on ebay - so you're ahead of me there!  Ebay, with all of it's rules and problems, intimidates the devil out of me - so I've chosen not to participate, at least for the time being.  So - those that have ebay experience can give you better advice and suggestions than I can . . . but I can assure you that your bears are outstanding!  :hug:  :hug:

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Sue Ann, when/if you do decide to sell on eBay you'll have an advantage in that you have already established a name and following for yourself.

It's VERY hard and takes forever to do this when you are new to the scene.

Ebay is indeed VERY saturated with homemade bears. Only the determined, in-it-for-the-long-haul artists will prevail! The fly by night makers will soon give up and move on.

So, hang in there for a while until things have quieted down, Shantell!

You could highlight your listing, have a border on your listing, of make it bold. All things draw attention to your listing on the search results page. But, all cost money and there are no guarantees that your bear will sell so it's a risk you'd have to decide if you are willing to take.

There are no easy answers here. sorry!

Willamette Valley Oregon

Logic tells me I know you are right...but I've done exactly what I told myself I wouldn't do...and that's set myself up for too high of expectations...it's that overachiever perfectionist only child thing I seem to have...it's a curse  bear_grin 

I'm not giving up...I'm not a "fly by night maker"...I'm in it for the long haul.  I just needed a boost.

bear_wub  bear_wub

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Hi Shantell

Ahh you poor thing, here's a  :hug: for you!!

While I haven't had too many problems, I have had the odd one not sell...  It's heartbreaking, so I know how you feel.

Take awhile to look on eBay.  MOST bears I believe aren't selling, or are selling for very little.  That should give you a boost!

Yes, it's tough, but hang in there, it gets better.  Guess what?  I'm starting to get better prices for my bears, get more bids, and even have bidding wars.  I was starting to think that if I sell the occassional bear from my webpage, and if I were to sell a bear on eBay nearly every week, at it's starting price, I would be happy. 

However, it's starting to pick up!  However, after 6 months of selling a bear on ebay nearly every week - it's starting to get good!  I'm nearly out of bears on my webpage, and eBay's goin' good...  SOoooooooo hang in there!! Things take time.. just work at it.. if you love it, you need to work at it!

Danni

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA
shantell wrote:

set myself up for too high of expectations...it's that overachiever perfectionist only child thing I seem to have...it's a curse  :lol:

I'm 'blessed' with the same curse! You have my deepest sympathy!  bear_innocent

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

Shantell, it's not you, your bears are lovely.  In the two years I've been following the eBay artist bears category though, I've never seen it more... I don't know... picky? persnickety? unfathomable? ... than it is now.  I used to be able to see trends in what sold and what didn't, and if you saw a good bear from a lesser known artist, it still had a chance.  But now, I'm not quite sure what's going on.  I see VERY good bears sell for very little money, and others not at all.  Bears that are definitely good enough to be given a chance, aren't necessarily.  I don't think it matters where you start the price, whether you have a reserve, what size or type of bear you're offering, whether it's a private auction, what day of the week you list... I'm just not seeing ANY trends right now.  It doesn't make sense.  (We need a smiley face that's going HUH????? to insert here.)

Anyway, I've been studying and studying those auctions to try to see something, anything.  The only thing I'm thinking now is that it's the first bid that is the most important.  I watch bears sit there with no bids for days on end that should really be selling well and wonder 'what are they thinking?'  But as soon as I see ONE person bid on the bear, all of a sudden there are three or four people bidding on the bear.  Know what I mean?  This has been stumping me.  I'm almost wondering if offering some sort of special offer to the first bidder of the auction might help encourage that first bid.  I dunno.  I've been selling on eBay forever, and I've never come across a tougher category to sell in than the artist bear category is right now.  I know people will recommend that prices should be dropped to encourage bidding, but there is a level that each of us have that we should not go below.  Especially if you sell just fine in other venues.  Don't drop the bottom out from your pricing just because one place you're trying to sell in is quirky.  Hang in there!

Hugs,
Kelly

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

Shantell, you are NOT doing anything wrong :hug: please don't get discouaged bear_wub ebay is just a strange market thats all.  Chin up!  Jenn

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

My dear Shantell,  :rose:
Please don't beat yourself up over eBay!!  Your bears are delightful and full of personality.  As Tammy and some of the other gals have said, eBay is saturated with bears right now.  In my humble opinion, this is one of the worst times of the year to sell unless you have a collector following.  Heavens, even with a following, some big name artist bears aren't meeting reserves.  I know it can be quite discouraging when you see some bears going for big bucks.  Keep in mind that these artists have been doing business on eBay a long time.  Most of the "Big Dogs" started out on eBay just like you.  From the listing I looked at of yours it looks as if you're doing everything right.  The only suggestion I would make.....if I may be so bold....is to put your company name FIRST on each and every listing.  Then bear size, mohair bear and bear name.  You want that company name recognition attached to your bears!!  It took me several months (and selling my bears for a song) to create a following.  Have patience!!   bear_original  It's been five years since I began on eBay.  I've just recently changed my business name thinking it would be easier for people to remember and I find myself back at square one again trying to gain name recognition.  I'm lucky though, I still have a wonderful collector base.....and a web site!  Which, by the way, was started about three years after I started selling on eBay.  One step at a time, my dear.  Sometimes those steps must be baby steps!!   bear_sad

And as far as watchers go.....my last listing had 55 watchers.....and still didn't sell.  I had a good laugh over that one and took some time off.  My sister came to visit, my mom came to visit, my daughter announced her engagement, I've decorated my house for the holidays and I'm working on my "swap" bear with Clare.  Life is GRAND!!  I refuse to beat myself up over eBay!!   :dance:

Exactly where in the Willamette Valley are you anyway?  We should get together sometime.  I live just off 205 (Sunnyside Rd.).  Maybe we could meet for lunch at Monticello!!  Have you been there?  It's a great little antique store on Stark Street in Portland.  They have a delightful little sandwich and coffee shop there.  Maybe we could get together with Dilu too!!  Maybe we could start a TBAG club.....Teddy Bear Artist Guild!!  Now there's a brilliant idea!!

Warmest and biggest bear hugs,   :hug:
Aleta

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

Oh Shantell I can just feel your disappointment.  After starting off on ebay with something of a hiss and a roar -  my recent auctions haven't sold and the last only sold after listing it twice.  Like Kelly, I can see no sense in what's happening.  I follow a group of artists on ebay and while some of them do consistently well, that is only a handful, and they have built up their reputations after a long long while.  Others, who used to do amazingly, have had an incredibly disappointing year, and to be frank (and not naming names   bear_grin ) some absolute crap has got prices it doesn't deserve.

However, I have decided, after having my own melt down a few weeks ago and having my sorry behind kicked into shape by my teddy talk friends and my local bear making buddies  :redface:  that sometimes you've got to put up with crap and make the best of it.  All I can say, is start getting your bears out there as much as possible.  I know you don't have a website - but maybe you could get a small free site going with your isp.  It doesn't have to be anything fancy. .. just somewhere you can direct people to go.  My website is a "takeaway" website - I just pick the template and type things in - no html required.  While it's not fancy by any standards every little thing helps.  It's a uk only one (my sis in the uk bought it for me) but there are probably similar things in the states - mine costs $50US a year for everything - hosting and domain name - so it doesn't have to be expensive. Start submitting photos to the magazines.  They might not get in - I've sent them and not been successful yet, but I figure it's free and I've gotta keep trying.

Don't give up - your bears are gorgeous and it is simply the fickle ebay public.  Don't put a price less than what you want on - but if you are consistent like Danni, I'm sure you'll eventually get the recognition you deserve (and then let it rub off on me  bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin )

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

I am having the same trouble bear_sad bear_sad bear_sad I get very discouraged too. I have only had one bear sell on ebay in the last four months.  bear_cry I know that these are some of the cutest bears I have made. I don't know what is wrong. I just keep plugging along.
Kathy

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

I think if we are all honest we tend to put high expectations on our work .... and if they don't sell we get disappointed and down..... I really feel now,  that I am lucky to be able to be doing what I really love, and I am just out to keep enjoying it, if I sell then I feel lucky and if not then I will just keep putting them out there ..... remember life is too short and we only get one chance at it so enjoy it everyday... just keep going at it shantell and Kathy ......  :hug:

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Shantell,
Ebay is very contrary - bears that you think won't sell do and those you think are great sink into oblivion - there's just no fathoming it out sometimes!
Try not to worry about it i'm sure that your beautiful bears will start flying on eBay soon.
bear_thumb  bear_wub

it's that overachiever perfectionist only child thing I seem to have...it's a curse

I'm 'blessed' with the same curse! You have my deepest sympathy!

Me too girls - je suis une fis unique as my french teacher taught me to say many many moons ago, although i've probably spelt it all wrong.

I never realised the perfectionist thing came from being an only child - picky picky picky, that's me all over. If i don't get something right i lock myself in the loo and have a paddy - i always feel better after
:lol:

Penny  bear_wub

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

There Shantell, there's a lot of hugs just for you. You are a talented bear artist and I'm sure that your bears will sell. As the others have said eBay is swamped with bears right now. Unfortunately there is no where that the artists can add their bears for sale away from the hobbiests who make nice but low grade bears in comparison to the better bear. Remember too that people are always out for a bargain and buy the cheaper bears far sooner than pay for quality...it's their loss as they will never have a bear that will gain in value or recognition. I know it don't help saying all this if you still haven't sold your bear but someone will want your adorable bears as they have so much character and are made by a talented artist.
Another  :hug:

Jane  bear_flower

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Shantell, I admit I haven't read the whole thread (too much to do today!!!!) so this may already have been said....but please don't be too discouraged by eBay. It takes time, I've found, to build up a 'following' there. Can you advertise your bears in other places, to draw people to your auctions? Do you list them on Bearpile for instance? Your bears are lovely (I see one has a bid!!!) so there's no problem in that department! But in my experience you need as many people to visit your auction as possible....even the very best bears in the world can't appeal to everyone, so the best tactic is to gain as much exposure as you can. As for watchers, on a good auction I get about 1 in 10 people watching so there's a rough guideline for you. And while it feels good to have watchers it doesn't guarantee a good price. So although having watchers encourages me, I try to disregard it when thinking about potential bids....

Big Beary Hugs to you!  :hug:

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

I know exactly how you feel, having been beat up by Ebay before.  And it IS discouraging when people won't even look at your bear, let alone bid.   

Its been said before, but right now the artist bear market is saturated on Ebay.  Having your bear's pic as a thumbnail on the listing is a must, but more and more I've also noted if the listing isn't highlighted, or in the featured section, it often doesn't have bids.

As for that odd first bid phenomenon, a former coworker told hubby and I that he wouldn't' even LOOK at something on Ebay unless it had a bid all ready.  According to Chester, it wasn't worth looking at unless someone else wanted it, and bid on it.  bear_wacko  I've NO idea where the logic came on that, but it was very enlightening to know there are people out there that refuse to even look at a listing unless there's a bid.  Silly, silly people.....

I do think its a good idea to create a website, though.  I took the plunge after being urged, urged, and urged somemore by a bear artist in Oregon at a show.  I know practically nothing about computers, so it was a relief when a friend recommended freewebs for me, here's the link http://members.freewebs.com/  You can get a free website, and you build it yourself.  They have tutorials that walk you completely through the process, one step at a time.  I confess, I had brain melt the first two days, but its gotten much easier. 

Above all, your bears are WONDERFUL   bear_flower  so don't think for one second they aren't beautiful and worth every penny!  :hug:

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I have sold some bears recently but I not for what I would hope they would sell for.  I too have seen things sell so high and cant understand why similar bears that are just as well made and just as cute dont sell or sell for less... I REALLY think it is a name thing, seriously. I have a couple "regulars" now and that is from listing from about Aug/Sept.  I am not "upset" to get a price not what I would like since it is getting my name out there and i am still in the "learning" stage.  I figure if I sell, always have something on ebay, give REALLY REALLY GOOD customer service and keep in contact with my "regulars" I will succeed... I just need to keep chugging along.... I am in for the long haul also... I found something I love and I will not give up bear_original 

So, with all that said, you are in the same boat as some of us, but if we keep trying, we will all make it bear_original

I think your bears are wonderful, Daisy Mae, Toby and your new gal (her name is slipping my mind at the moment, was it Hope?) Anywho, I think your bears are wonderful and like the gals have already said, it takes a while bear_original

:hug:  dont give up dear, you have talent!

nettie scotland
Website

Hi Shantell,
Ebay is pretty slow just now.I can usually sell everything ,sometimes in as little three minutes(don't mean to blow my own tumpet) but  the last bear I listed didn't sell even with 20 watchers.Don't be put off it is a bad time of year I think.
Bears are my one and only income and I know how disheartening it can be.
Chin up.There is nothing wrong with your work just lack of taste or extra money by ebayers.
Diane xxxx

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Hi Shantell,

I've always found that the way Ebay works best for me, is to showcase a 'for sale' bear by sending a mailshot to all the collectors on the database I have compiled over the years.  Relying purely on people browsing through Ebay to secure a sale doesn't always work. 

I would also suggest incorporating Ebay into your other methods of selling.  By that I mean try adding an auction page to your website, and send out an invitation to your customers to come and take a peek - or even better, to join in the fun!  Also, remember to add the Ebay link if you list a bear on TT's 'for sale' thread (you probably already do that).

Deb Upstate New York

I've been told by several mentor artists to just keep swinging (my paraphrase).  It takes considerable time to become a known vs. an unknown.  Patsy makes an excellent point.  It's important not to have expectations set too high for starting out.  By doing that we only set ourselves up for disappointment.

Willamette Valley Oregon

Thanks for the boost...I just needed to hear what I already knew...validation I suppose.

Funny thing...I just checked my Ebay listings...loads of watchers now...and a bidder...strange.

I've just had a brainstorm and will be adding a little something to my Hope that didn't sell....nothing fancy but I already have the beginnings of it...right under my stinkin nose...go figure!!!

Shantell

Board footer