Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

danceswithteddybears Dances With Teddy Bears
Pacific Northwest

Hi everyone!
Along the same lines as Jaina's cotter pin discussion.. Does anyone use something other than hardboard or fiberboard discs?  If so, what do you use?
I use both the above, whichever is cheaper at the moment.  And I buy in lot sizes.  But I heard someone here on TT mention they use something else, but didn't specify. Something they buy at the hardware store???  It really has my curiosity up.
I tried to make my own hardboard discs a while back.  Was that a joke! :crackup:
  :hug:

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Hi Laura
I believe you can purchase metal discs the same size as the fibreboard discs at the hardware store
Hugs
Gail

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Gail is correct . . . they are called washers.  Don't ask me why, though.

Pacific Northwest

Thanks Gail and Sue Ann!
I thought maybe there was another something, but perhaps not.
I've checked out those large (disc size) washers.  Even bought a few once.  They are very pricey.  At least the ones locally.
Thanks for your replies!!!
:hug:

teeeej Brisbane

I have used acrylic discs - 20mm size or smaller.

Pacific Northwest

Silly question perhaps, but what's an acrylic disc?   bear_whistle  And where do you buy them?

teeeej Brisbane

Acrylic is a form of plastic. I buy them from Gerry's here in Australia. They only seem to have them in the smaller sizes 20 mm or less.

http://www.gerrys.com.au/home.php?cat=48

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

I use the plastic discs....CRs crafts sells them. You might also get them at local craft stores.

Ellen

Angela Angela's Bear Garden
St. Catharines, Ontario

I've been making bears for 20 years and have tried lots of stuff. I use fiberboard for the smaller discs, and hardboard for the larger ones. For my really big bears, I cut my own hardboard discs, because I can't find them big enough anywhere. I suppose you could use unwanted cd's glued together for large discs, but I haven't tried this. I wonder if they would hold up? The plastic doll joints are fine for toys, but I find they don't stay tight enough for artist quality bears. If you want to use metal washers for joints, just make sure they are zinc plated, aluminum or stainless steel so they won't rust.

Sheryl D'Ath Bells Stuff
Ruakaka, Northland

I use a Nylon type Disc which was being made by a guy here in NZ who was supplying them to bear stores etc. They are truely fabulous.(strong and smooth so as not to make wear on the mohair backing )  I have them up to 50mm and then I use my own hard board discs I make myself. Luckily I have a huge supply that I hope will see me out!!!!!!!Don't forget to sand off the edges on your hardboard discs.(I use a sanding wheel on my dremel, which also doubles to sand down my poodles nails)Mohair backing is made from cotton whick is a short fibre and will wear very quickly. This is why I use cotter pins rather that lock nuts as if the joint is too tight it will wear away the fabric and it is not as easy to replace fabric as to open a seam and tighten a cotter pin if a joint loosens.
Talking about tool for many jobs!!! I bought a dog drier which is fabulous for blow-waving fur in dirrection you need, it also speeds up defrosting the freezer oh and of cours is wonderful for drying the poodles bear_grin

Sheryl D'Ath Bells Stuff
Ruakaka, Northland

oh but sadly the guy isn't making the nylon discs anymore! sorry. I'm pretty sure I saw them at Gerry's

Pacific Northwest

Wow, there are some great alternatives I hadn't thought of.  Thanks for all your input.
I tried to make my own, from some type of smooth wood I found at Michael's.  (I don't know my woods.)
I tried a few different ways to cut the discs, none worked.  I just made a mess of the wood. 
I imagine there's a technique or two I hadn't thought of.  (Hint Hint ! bear_whistle  )
Plastic or nylon discs sounds worth investigating.   
Thanks again!  :dance:

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Hey Laura,
I cheat and use a hole saw to cut discs. Get a nice centred hole and all  bear_smile
If the edges are a bit rough I sandpaper them.

bearyfun732 Cutiepie Bears

i just use really hard cardboard. its easy to cut, and usually all you have to do is stick your needle in it. i cant buy discs, so i make them. at grocery stores, they have those green wire thingys to tie up your bag with. i scrape of the green or red stuff, and voila! instant free wire. if u feel it is too breakable, you can always intertwine pieces together.  bear_laugh easy for me, easy for anyone!

P.S. yes, it actually works. but try to get the thick kind of cardboard that is not easily bent. (or cut)

Kirstie_DDB Posts: 85

Not sure if anyone still checks this thread, it's quite old but still a wonderful resource.
Anyway, I came across this site that sells acrylic shapes and thought their circular discs had potential for making good washers (if you can drill a hole in the middle).
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.a … &catid=441

Sradefarras Barcelona

Hi! I am new here and new to Teddy making so don't trust my two pence worth. I'm so excited to be here to learn. I made some bears in the past from flannel but left it because there are no teddy bears supply stores here in Spain. Got a book which talked about making cardboard disks from 4 pieces of cardboard. It is quite strong but of course you can't wash the bear. I tried the plastic safety joints but they're ok for necks only. My first bear turned out really bow legged haha.  I love being here. Here are my first tries.

With plastic safety joints. Poor Beehoven turned out bow legge.

Operated on Beethoven and placed my homemade cardboard disk and nuts and bolts

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Welcome to Teddy Talk, Sradefarras! Beethoven does look much happier after you operated on him.  bear_original  His little friend is very cute as well.

Becky

Sradefarras Barcelona

Thank you for the kind encouraging words, Becky. I am new at this and this forum is such a great help!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

You have a great start for making bears, Sradefarras . . . these two are really nice!  And welcome to Teddy Talk - we're pleased to have you.

Sradefarras Barcelona

Thank you, Sue Ann! I am totally hooked. I wake up early just to get mire work done.

creationsbyjdb Orlando FL

Hi everyone!  I'm new to being a teddy bear artist.  Made a bunch of jointed bunny rabbits and then, a wool sweater called to me to become a teddy bear.  I got done sewing all the parts and was ready to put joints in when I discovered I only had one safety plastic joint in the right size.  Michael's and JoAnn's didn't have any so, I ventured over to Home Depot.  They had cotter pins and metal washers.  I hope the metal will be ok against the wool fabric.   Has anyone tried the hidden button technique for joints?  Thanks so much for this thread!  Lots of great ideas.  Attaching photos of my recycled bear in process.

Wool sweater inspiration

Prototype for pattern pieces

Board footer