Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

SGFOLKART SUE GORRIE FOLKART
West Coast

Does anyone have any idea where I can get some metal wheels with spokes?  The kind they use for antique and vintage iron toys and pull toys.  My cat knocked over (on purpose.... he was trying to wake me up) my sheep on wheels (repro) and broke one of the wheels. Upon further investigation I see the wheels are only made of resin. That tends to look pretty bad when glued, so I want to
replace all the wheels. I would like them to be 1",  four spoke metal wheels in a dark patina, but I will settle for more spokes if I can find them. 
SHEEP_WHEEL.jpg
I have also been wanting to make some pull toy ornaments with the smaller wheels.
Any ideas on where to find these would be greatly appreciated.   bear_flower

Sue

Angela Angela's Bear Garden
St. Catharines, Ontario

If you could find someone in your area that works with cast pewter, they could replicate these wheels for you. I suppose they could be cast in any metal, maybe aluminum? Pewter will possibly be cheaper though.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Sue, these are not exactly what you wanted, but might work??  http://www.patternmart.com/pattern/3210 … ted+Wheels

Oh, pooh . . . just realized these are too big for what you need.  I got this site googling "metal wheels for pull toys", so you might try that.

Laurie Brady Bears By Laurie Brady

I started a project back in 2005 that required just those wheels!  I found a wondrful site that sells reproduction parts for old toys.  They have EVERYTHING!  It was called   Thomas Toys, P.O. box 405, Fenton Mich. 48430    ph. 1-810-629-8707I found them on the internet placed an order and recieved their catalogue, but I can't seem to see their web address on the catalogue anywhere.
Hope this helps. I look forwarf to seeing your creation - my wheeled horse is made, I just never got around to putting on the wheels  :crackup:
Laurie

I seem to remember dealing with them via phone - I bought the wheels, axels and a few other parts and recieved their cataloge (magazine size and thickness).  The 4 spoke wheels are on page 38 of my cataloge. 
I ordered #14,but  they come in 8 sizes.  They are titled "thick rims for plateform animals".
I was satisfied with the order I placed, back in Jan. /06 (both the service and product).
Hope this helps
Laurie

SGFOLKART SUE GORRIE FOLKART
West Coast

Thanks for the links!  bear_flower .
Found the link for Thomas Toys.  I think this is the closest wheel so far and a good price. Also the wheels are quite small, so I can use them on my Christmas ornaments.

http://thomastoysantiquetoyparts.com/main.sc

I did see those other two sites  (prim shop and classic tin toy) as well as the following:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx … ,250,43236

http://thecraftshoppe.com/wheels.html

Moving toys is a new area of creativity for me. Maybe sometime we should do a moving toy challenge. I wish I could make a clockwork tumbling clown bear. Now that would be cool! But, so far I am unsuccessful to even repair my overwound tin toys.
Thanks again for the info.

Sue

OOOO,   A wheeled toy challange.  What a great idea!!! :clap:  :clap:  :clap:     I look forward to details!!

Laurie

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Ahh, Lee Valley... they put out more than half a dozen different types of catalogs and they truly are the types that could sit alongside your Fine Art or Auction catalogs. BEAUTIFUL layouts and photography!

And you didn't even know that a tool or item existed but the minute you see it you know you've GOT to have it because it's EXACTLY right for - a collection, to solve a problem, to work on a certain other part, to finish off an item.....

I hate to have to put them into the recycling bin—it's like throwing a good book away—but every month others come in the mail.

Board footer