Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Hi Everyone,

I recently had an order from a bear shop here in Australia.  She ordered the four bears, via email, and I told her how much they would be etc.

I posted the bears, with an invoice inside the box. I gave her 14 days to pay.   After not receiving the payment by the due date, I telephoned a few times and emailed, but got no response. I finally made contact with her daughter.  She told me she usually has 30 days to pay her bills. 

I  figured, OK, they now realise that my invoice was dated NET 14 days, but if they only pay 30 days, I'll give them that time.  It's now been over 5 weeks since she received the bears .  I phoned a few times again, and only got through to the daughter, the owner is always "not in at the moment"  Apparently the daughter spoke to the owner and she said she will "probably" send me a cheque sometime this week.

It's all getting very nerve racking. I have found it odd that the owner doesn't return phone calls or answer emails, when she was very quick to respond to work out about getting my bears to begin with!!!  So, now I'm just hoping I will indeed get payment, because I'm starting to get nervous!   I realise since they are a shop, they will have to pay - however I'm finding their way of business not very proffessional!  I haven't been hounding them, I phoned yesterday to find out what's happening, and the daughter basically hung up on me.  Perhaps if the transaction was handled a little differently, like on the telephone, I wouldn't have felt so nervous to begin with!

Anyhow, after writing a novel, the reason I've written this message is to ask how you all do business with shops?  Do you get payment before posting the bears, or do you send an invoice?  If you do send an invoice, how long do you give them to pay? 

Perhaps my net 14 days wasn't long enough, I'm so new to selling to shops, I just don't know what the standard practise is!  So, I want to find out what's the usual way of doing business with shops is for future reference.

Thanks for reading this long message!
Danni

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Hmmm how frustrating!

n030.gif  n075.gif  p015.gif  u055.gif  u070.gif  s035.gif  u045.gif  s040.gif

I am not advocating anything violent, just a good hard laugh to get it out of your system.

Bet you change your policies next time.....they need to understand that you are just like they are-bills etc.

hope you get things straightened out......how far away is she.....maybe if you showed up at the shop looking like the little match girl, and saying "foood for the poor?"

bear_tongue

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

It isn't very proffessional to hang up on you. How far are they from you? If they are to far from you , do you know anyone near them, friend or family etc. You could send an emisary to speak to them in person. If they fail to pay, you could retrieve your bears at least.
What was your agreement with them? Were they considering it to be like consignment or were they outright purchasing them??
I would give them a written time limit for payment or demand the return of the bears. Also save a copy of all the emails too. In case you need proof to retrieve your bears legally ( or Payment).  Save your phone statements, write down everything too time you called, date, who you spoke to what they said etc. If it is long distance save your phone bills too>
Hopefully it is just simple, and you will be paid soon. But be prepared for anything.
I am keeping fingers crossed for you.
Kathy

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I've only sold outright to a shop once and now just consign.
However, due to the fear of not getting paid in a timely manner, needing the money ASAP to pay for supplies, etc. I required a 50% deposit when order was placed and once ready, I notified shop that they were ready to ship and the balance due. I shipped once balance was paid. Order and payment terms were put in writing at time order was placed. The shop owner was very co-operative.

You could send a written request for balance due and state that if payment isn't made by _____ then you or someone on your behalf will be by to pick up the bears.

I'm sorry this is happening to you. I've just always felt it's a good idea to at least get a deposit on ANY order, no matter whether it's a collector, shop, etc.

Let us know what happens!
Daphne

plushkinbear BEAR ME SHOOTKA
Vladivostok, RUSSIA

Dilu, I see you like that link, do you!!  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin

Danni, I'm sorry it happened..can you directly go there?

My "system" is a little different. I give my bears to the shoppe. We have signed a contract. The owner takes 30-50%. I get money if the bear get sold. And I can go there anytimes since it's 10min away from my house.

I hope everything will get on it's way. Good luck and hugg to your bears . bear_wub

Julia

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I guess I've been lucky with the shops I've sold to . . . they've never not paid - but I do give them net 30 days.  The primary shop I'm dealing with right now is The Toy Shoppe in Richmond, VA, and I ship them the bears with an invoice included - just like you did, Danni.  And they've always paid within the 30 days.  This shop is very high profile and professional - they deal with many artists and have exclusives from R. John Wright and Steiff - so one would expect them to be timely with their payments.  Am so sorry you're having this trouble and I hope it all works out well for you.  Good luck!

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Hi Danni,

I am so sorry that this shop is not playing by your rules - I hope that they pay up soon
maybe send them another account and then wait a few weeks and then  you might need to put the debt collectors onto them.  Good luck.
Very unproffessional of them to hang up on you - that is not on!
By the way I like your new Avatar - really lovely colours.

Hugs
Carolyn

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Oh no Danni so sorry,
that is so  frustrating..!!!!   bear_sad

I hope the owner will reply to you and arrange new dead line for payment because
it's way after 30days(which they told you)......

I'm keep crossing my fingers .   :pray:
Hugs/Marie

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

OH DANNI!  that is not good... hopefully they will come through on their end... I was going to post a question to ask how I can get started with selling in stores .... Did you get a contract with them???

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Adding my two cents worth.Keeping records is a must as already mentioned. I too had bears in two stores on consignment and there was a signed contract plus a list of all the bears they received and the price of each bear. To make a long story short the stores closed without notice to me and I ended up taking them to small claims court to retreive my money for bears they had sold and not paid me for. It was a long two year process with me having to provide all of the proof. In the end I really didn't care if I saw my money but I was going to have my day in court mainly on principle as this couple had cheated other artists out of what monies was rightfully  theirs. So I can't stress enough the value of keeping records of all phone calls and any other correspondence with this store
Hope this works out for you
Hugs
Gail
PS I won the court case and did recover my money

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hooray for Gail!!  :clap:   :clap:   :clap:

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

Oh Danni

I so feel for you - In my very early days of bear making I lost $900 worth of bears to a shop.  As I was unemployed at the time, I was so upset as it represented almost two months wages.  It was pointless taking them to court as there were people owed figures like $30,000 so I would have been well down the list.  I did take some stuff in goods out of the shop but it in now way made up for what I lost.

Keep at them...and chin up!

hugs,
Melissa

jazzyrags Jazzy Rags
nsw

I have lost count of how many bears i have sold in one shop but the lady was very professional she would ring when she sold a bear just ti let me know and always paid.

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

How do businesses like that stay in business?  :doh:  I get so frustrated when making calls or contacting someone and the call is never returned....... Anyway, I do mostly consignment. I have a list, as does the store, of what I have brought in and they send me a check after a bear sells (if they do) The 2 places I sold to outright, they paid for the bears the day I delivered them. For web orders, I do not ship the bear until I have received payment.

Records are a great thing......a personal visit would be better. I hope it all works out for you....... :pray:
Ellen  :hug:  bear_smile  :hug:

Meri Bears (UK) West Sussex, England

Danni

Sorry, I have no experience of selling my bears through a shop but I can appreciate how upset you are with this particular outlet not paying and being damn right rude to you.

I don't think I'd be happy to be doing business with these people even if they did eventually pay up. Could you not request they return your bears if you feel you are getting nowhere with your payment requests?

Estelle Estelles canal bears and Tod Teddies
Todmorden West Yorkshire

I sell at a craft studio
I Quote my price she adds her mark up ( about 75%) and sells at that price I call in on the tenth of each month and collect my check and deliver more bears. I have a similar arrangement with a tourist information centre, I have never had a problem, but both are reasonably close to me so all transactions are made in person. I think I would be nervous of sending bears to shops I did not Know personally.

Pipa UK

one thing i would insist upon is payment in advance or at least part payment or a deposit or something, i hope you can get your money danni bear_sad

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Good Luck Danni - I really hope this can be cleared up soon. I would understand it if you were more wary of selling to shops in the future (this one in particular). I've only sold to a shop once and have decided not to go that route at the moment. It was a good experience for me (thankfully!) but to be honest I'm happy to take my chances on eBay and undertake the few commissions I get.

When I did sell to that one shop, I was paid before I sent the bears out. I guess different shops have different practices though  :hug:

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I don't deal with too many shops...mainly because I seem to be able to sell all I make to collectors...(That may change)..But I send a consignment of bears to Japan and they pay before I send them..otherwise I would not send them.

I think that unless you are a big company or dealing with highly reputable shops with a proven track record why should you offer them credit terms? You aren't a bank.

I would send photos of the bears through, then, when they have sent a cheque I would send the bears. The Japanese company I deal with do a bank transfer on the dya before I send the bears. If you are dealing with a large concern they will try to set their own terms as they will have them written in stone but you need to thrash this out beforehand.

Thirty days or even 14 is a long time to sit on someones hard earned cash.

As far as this shop goes , Danni, waste no time in sending a reminder that they owe you folllowed swiftly by a phone call ...and don't take no for an answer.

PS: Danni...I just re-read your letter...do you have a small claims court facility like we have here, where for a nominal fee you can send them a court summons to pay up. If they don't pay within so many days they have to pay court fees and such too. I would without any hesitation at all send them a letter of intent to do that type of thing within 7 days of receipt of your letter...the cheeky swines...how dare they!!! No, in future no money up front, no bears unless you get a written contract from a reputable shop with a proven history of paying up and looking happy about it. Like I said you aren't a bank.Some of these shops rely on the fact that you won't chase them.

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

You know, I agree with Jenny. Hard as it might be, I think you need to take a firm stance. If you think about it, (and this is just my opinion!) until you are paid the the bears are still your property and they have no right to sell them on. Unless of course there's a mutually agreed contract involved.

:hug:

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Keep on at them Danni ..... in future don't let them out of your site until you have the money. Good luck

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Hey Danni, just read this thread, how disappointing.. bear_sad

Is this shop in Victoria by any chance?   PM me if you wish. I would love to help you out if I can.

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Don't give up Danni love  bear_thumb

Try and get your money or your bears back - definitly send them a letter telling them of your intent to take them to court to retrieve any monies owed. It's the principal of it Danni - you worked damn hard to produce the bears and should be valued, not treated like a piece of poo. How rude to hang up on you - my suggestion is to keep calling them night and day - how about a 2 am call? Guaranteed to catch the shop owner at home then surely?

I am very angry for you sweetheart - if i lived a bit closer i would go and sort them out for you no probs!
:twisted: 

Keep us informed Danni - i will keep my fingers crossed for you and don't get too down, put down to experience and have a laugh at the cheeky cows  bear_tongue

Penny  :hug:

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

LOL Penny and Jenny (Hey that ryhmes) you both make me laugh!!!!!!!!

Well, the owner had told the daughter she will probably write a cheque for me last week. I didn't receive the cheque.

However, I got an email over the weekend...My invoice had "gone astray"  So, I have sent another one, it should be there today.

I found it rather funny that when she wrote about the invoice she replied to the email I sent that was asking for payment, that she had ignored.  She also replied very quickly when I said I'd post another.  She is really around, reading emails etc... I think she's been dodging phone calls and emails.

Well, I think it's a good sign that she has realised that my invoice has gone missing.  Lets just hope it doesn't take another 7 weeks for her to pay me. I think I'll be ringing more now I know she has my over due invoice!

Thanks for everyone's suggestions - you've given me a lot of help in how to handle things in the future!  I appreciate everyone's comments.

I'll let you know what happens next in the saga!
Danni

plushkinbear BEAR ME SHOOTKA
Vladivostok, RUSSIA

Danni, I'm almost happy for you! When you recieve your check I'll be TOTALLY happy!

Board footer