Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

kezjoy KezjoyKritterz
Gippsland Victoria

Hi everyone..I've been a bit of a lurker lately, sorry about that. I shall try harder to participate in conversations from now on!!

As you can see from the heading, I will soon be moving to the UK..we have bought our tickets for October 29th. We aren't going to move absolutely everything such as furniture as it will just be a temporary shift for about 2 or 3 years. ( Fiance is from uk and been out here in Aust with me for 11 years...hes been feeling a bit homesick lately, so we decided to move over so he can be nearer his family for a change).

so I'm wanting to take my bear supplies as im really looking forward to participating in a bear show or two..Ive only ever entered competitions here, but id really love to have a table in UK and see how I go..

if you were going to move overseas for a couple of years, what items would you take with you?? Im not sure.. my stash is pretty big. I have recently become more of a mini maker, so i know i can safely leave behind my longer mohairs and wooden joints..but then again i don't know if maybe i should take some bigger bear things incase i get the urge as i do sometimes....but then..I could always buy more in UK.

Are there any bear making clubs/societies etc that anyone knows of in UK?? I will likely be in the north for a little while, but we want to settle a bit closer to London after a couple of months, how close?? i have no idea yet.lol..but i definately will be needing to make some friends ..eekk..its gonna be a bit scarey..but Im  really looking forward to it

Kerrilyn XX

Lovethosebears Yorkshire

Hi Kerrilyn, speaking from the North of England I would say lots of warm clothes!  bear_grin 

Seriously, we have some very good bearmaking supply shops here in the UK.  I am a hobby bear maker, but I am sure the bear artists here on TT will agree.  I use Christie Bears, Emmery Bears and Bear Basics (all online if you want a peek).  There are many more that I am sure others will tell you about.

As for societies you can try this www.britishbears.free-online.co.uk/html/mainframe_bbn.htm

Hope this helps

Hugs Ali x

Off The Paw Artist Bears by Lesley
East Neuk

Hi Kerrilyn, I agree with Ali, warm clothes bear_original  If i was moving abroad i would try and take as much of my stash as possible as i know i would be looking for something i'd left behind before long. There are lots of bear making suppliers here too though. I just like the comfort of my familiar things and they also inspire me as well.

There are lots of bear loving people here in the UK so you will be among friends  :hug:  Plus wherever you go in the world theres always Teddy Talk !  bear_original

Carolynn Teenytinyteddybears

Hi Kerrylin, We moved here for a year, which has turned into 2 and now who knows. There are no bear supply shops here. I also make minis. We also moved with a suitcase each. So was a small challenge. I brought some bear fabrics, cotton for noses, cotter pins. But things like that you can get in the UK anyhow. I did bring my favorite scissors, hemostat, pliers and things like that. There are loads of things I regret not bringing, but you can buy in the UK so you shouldn't have a problem. But I do wish I had brought more "findings", Bits of lace, ribbon, small pieces of fabric for dressing up. If you need a 3inch bit to make a skirt you have to buy a quarter of a meter. And I had a good stash at home. Also needles. I wish I had brought more of my favorite ones. Is sometimes a battle to find ones you like. Also being in a more accessible part of the world you will be able to order online.

I also miss all the sewing and embroidery cottons I had, I wish I had brought more of a selection of colors. Once again, you have to buy a whole skein for a few stitches.

But honestly the bits of stuff. I have often been tempted to ask a bunch of girls on TT to send me scraps of lace, organza etc just to start a new stash, but then I will move again...... I have actually started buying hair scrunchies to get small pieces of fabric, lace and ribbon.

Good luck with your move

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Sounds exciting Kerrilyn bear_original  I hope it all goes well for you and you have fun seeing all the country side and sights :hug:

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

TAKE IT ALL KERRILYN!!!!!!!  you will find yourself with all new inspiration once you arrive there. Knickers and shoes you can go without but dont go leaving your bear (stuff) behind.
Have a grand time!! I wish it was me.
Wendy

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Hi Kerrilyn, hope all goes well!

Carolynn Teenytinyteddybears

Wendy that was my theory too. :crackup:  :crackup: Started by packing the bear stuff, and any space left I used for clothes.

kezjoy KezjoyKritterz
Gippsland Victoria

thanks for the replies gals..i was actually going to have to buy warm clothes over there as i really don't have a lot here..its usually too warm!! Maybe i'll pack the bigger bear stuff in special boxes and can get mum to ship them if i need them..i'll def take my mini supplies right away..so much to do, so little time!
Kerrilyn

kim "a bear by kim"
merseyside

wellies, a waterproof coat and an umbrella!!!
good luck x

Board footer