Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

kynthia Posts: 140

Hi.. i'm pretty confused about the definition of original patterns. I am pretty new to bear making and i make bears from  kits.

If i use the arms pattern from 1 kit and the head pattern from another kit and the body pattern is modified by myself, does that constitute as a new pattern or just a modified pattern??  bear_wacko

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

I would say a modified pattern. You could not sell the bear as designed by yourself as you would have borrowed other people's designs, even if it were made up of many designer's work. Although the bear would look different to the pictures of the bears on the patterns I would still say it would not be your design.  Also if you use patterns designed by others you should gain permission to sell the bear from the designers, you could not claim it as your own work. The best idea is to study patterns designed by others and get the idea of how patterns work, then take a risk and try designing you very own bear. May I suggest that you use a cheaper fabric to make up the pattern, before cutting into expensive mohair or alpaca as the pattern may need adjusting and it would be costly to you to make a mistake on the expensive cloth. Good luck!

Hugs, Jane.  bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_flower

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Yep, definitely modified as it's not your own design, it's patched together from other artists.  To create your own design you'll be wanting pencil, paper, card, plenty of creative thought and a big eraser I'm afraid!

kynthia Posts: 140

icic.. thanks for clearing up the air! i don't want to inadvertently cause trouble by using the wrong terms bear_original

Board footer