Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

BearHugger Lichfield, Staffs, England

Can alpaca be dyed like mohair? or does it need a special dye? I really want to try dyeing some in rainbow colours if I can  bear_original

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Yes you can dye it exactly like mohair, using all the same dyes etc. Have fun!!!

Laurie Brady Bears By Laurie Brady

Koolaid is a  very quick and easy introduction to dying, with some yummy results.  I've not tried it on fabric, but have used it extensively on my handspun angora, with great success.  The only consideration I would have with teddy bear fabrics is that the backing is cotton (plant fibre) and the nap is mohair/wool or alpaca (animal fibre), which will not take the dye the same or at all (but this could be a desirable  affect). 

Try a few samples, it will be fun, if nothing else.

Laurie

Jaina Emo Bears
Dudley, West Mids

That's a great idea Laurie - I want to try Koolaid dying. Sadly it is not sold over here in the uk (probably EU colouring laws to blame) so the only way to get is, is if you buy it from places that import it - and sadly, that makes it fairly expensive (about  1 USD a packet) with the postage on top - plus the supply is somewhat limited  bear_sad

Board footer