Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Hi Everyone
I am looking for suggestions on how to design an anime head. Does anyone have any ideas??
Hugs
Gail
www.bearwithme.ca

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Gail, I keep seeing these eBay auctions for books on Japanese style/primitive bears.  They are even written in Japanese, but you're an experienced bear crafter so I'm sure you could figure it out esp. since it sounds like you're just looking for some guidance on proportions.

I wish I could refer you to a specific title or seller but I've seen these things posted again and again, by various sellers, in the bears>current listings.  Just give it a look -- there, or in bears>supplies -- and I"m sure you'll find what I"m talking about.

If I see it myself, in the meantime, I'll post more specifics here.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

hI Loonie

It's not a bear but a golliwog, but go to the sale page and check out Laure's golly- he's kind of anime-

dilu

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hi, Gail.  I've started working on my very first anime bear.  Decided to jump on the anime bandwagon - at least one time - to see what I could create.  What I did was this:  I took one of my smallish bear designs and enlarged only the head pieces about 20%.  Then I did some very minor alterations to the rest of the pattern.  I've only gotten as far as cutting out the pieces, but will be glad to show my results when I'm done.  Maybe even show the bear from the original design compared to the enlarged head bear.  Anyway, I'm kind of excited to see how everything will turn out!!  bear_laugh

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Hi Sue Ann...I was doing the same thing ....except when I got the head done it sure looked like an old antique type to me...I swear that bear said ;" NO please don't blow up my head"...So....I drafted his arm, legs and body to match the head style...he is happy to be  a little old slumpy bear full of pellets. However I still would like to draft a anime bear ...will do as soon as I catch up with  my last 2 designs...wow, when ever I start designing I just explode with more  ideas...Winney

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Hello Gail,
Here is image of 2books
of Japanese/Primitive style bear. 1st one has pattern for  1artist only.2nd one has pattern for few artists but I think only 2artist are making Primitive bear.  I saw these books at ebay too but these are not
so anime type as Bry from Bry's bruins. They are so many
anime books in Japan but I couldn't find  the book for teddy bear in anime style..       
http://images-jp.amazon.com/images/P/45 … ZZZZZZ.jpg

http://images-jp.amazon.com/images/P/42 … ZZZZZZ.jpg
I check out Amazon.jp and they
have English page but not working (I tried)...hmmmmm

I haven't made the anime type
bear yet but as Sue Ann said
I think they have a big head and
simple body with anime face....
big eyes(or too small),flat face.
Hope this will help you and
sorry for small information...

Sue Ann, I can't wait to see your
anime bear:D

bear hugs/Marie

Website

Hi Everyone
Thanks so much for your help. Sue Ann I am looking forward to seeing a picture of your finished bear. It was me who bought the book off e-bay that Bry's Bruins had listed and it is on it's way to me now. She also gives you permission to sell bears made from her patterns as long as you give her credit for the design. Sometimes I just like to make something different without having to design it first so I really appreciate artists who do this When I get my first one made I will post it here
Hugs
Gail

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Hello, All.  This foray into anime (poetry?) is really just a trial and error thing for me.  I chose to be a bit on the conservative side for my first bear . . . and if I decide I like it, maybe I'll get brave and experiment more with the designing part of it.  I've sewn up all the parts now, so stuffing will be tomorrow.  Cross your fingers , everybody!!  bear_shocked bear_shocked

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA

Sue Ann, fingers, toes arms and eyes crossed... bear_grin and looking forward (actually a little to either side) bear_tongue to seeing your little anime entity.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Thanks much, guys.  Didn't get as much done today as I wanted . . . had to run some unexpected errands.  BUT, the head is done - so I should be able to finish tomorrow!   bear_shocked bear_shocked bear_shocked

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Beezley is finally finished! bear_tongue bear_tongue  I gotta download my digital photos to the computer, then will get one up.  See ya!

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Ooooh...quick...we wanna see him/her!:lol:

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Beezley.jpg  Beezley%20Headshot.jpg

This is Beezley (10"), my very first attempt at anime.  I already know how I'm going to change the next attempt.  Smaller ears, maybe a little shorter arms and legs, and "stubbier" paw pads.  I also will probably use a different design of mine . . . one with a rounder head.  Anyhoo, so much for my "foray into anime"!!  bear_grin bear_grin

kip.JPG  This is what the original design looked like.  This bear - Kip - was made four years ago.

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

OOoh I love the bear!!  Just adorable!  I especially like that his nose isn't higher than his eyes... LOL

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA

Oh my Gosh!  Beezley is the cutest!!  Keep going... I wanna see the next one too.

Shoot!! I really need to get to making bears.  My next show is Kansas City in July, and that is a big one.  I'm thinking I need a lot of bears.  I have been catching up on some required writing, and I'm not all that fast with it at this point, although I like doing it.  Got 2 more pieces waiting to get written, and then hope I can get a new website up that is partly made...That is scary but it's another one of those that with effort I know I can do ....I can, I can...you know how it is.  And after those things  are taken care of, it will be me, cramming to make bears! bear_rolleyes

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Wao Sue Ann Beezley is really charming !!
I think I'm going to melt :lol::lol::o

Bear Hug/Marie

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Laure, Good luck to the show in Kansas City!!!!
I can't wait to see your new bears !
July is NEXT MONTH? :rolleyes::rolleyes:
I'm also attending to the big teddy bear convention in July and I'm making
bears right now(@@ but my hands are moving too slow !
I'm crossing fingers now bear_tongue    hee hee

Big Hugs/Marie

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

Great Attempt Sue Ann, I think Beezley looks supreme. He knows hes a first design and boy does it show in his face,hes so proud to be the first I think.  Look forward to your next one. Hugs Rita xxx

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Oh Oh Sue Ann.....

Beezley is too cute for words...and I have never been a big fan of anime-but Laure's golly started changing my mind.....now beezley has pushed me off the edge.  I will have to try too.

I continue to be so impressed with everyone here.  It inspires me to try harder, and work harder. and learn more.  And gosh, it's so darn fun to boot!

I have a friend, the one who got me started on this road a year ago.  She came over the other day, so I pulled up the web site and showed her how to scroll through the topics....( she has never used a computer before)

Well.......she started looking at the names and when she got to your avatar  she got so intense, Who is this, what is her last name?  She demanded to know

So I told her and she got sooooooo incredibly excited!!!
" She is so famous....she is one of the  most famous  I can't beieve you just write her...."  Etc etc.  And she couldn't believe you share insight.  I told her everyone does....that's the whole purpose.

When she calmed down she started saying that she was going to have to get a lap top of her own.

I explained to her, that I, not knowing any better, that I write to everyone, and that you, being who you are, write back.  That everyone here, being the neat kind of gals and guys they are, share back and forth all the time.  She just couldn't get over it.!

I guess, in a way, its good I don't know everyone, and who is famous and who is not, or I would be totally inhibited.....and we all know I am certainly not inhibited.  No sense changing now!

At any rate she was so happy to see everyone's work and kept recognizing names, I guess from magazines and shows.  (She used to go all the time)

Any way- even though you are modest and probably don't ever think of yourself the way she does, I thought you might like to know that there are beary people out there who get so jazzed at seeing your name.

I just think of you as Sue Ann- someone who is pretty darn cool!  bear_original  and very generous with her insight and knowledge.  Thanks!  :D

Dilylu

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Yummy little bear, Sue Ann :D

He's Anime and beautiful!!

Eileen

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Oh Sue Ann!!!  I just LOVE him!!!  I'm trying not to be on the 'puter as much... but I just HAD to post on him!!

Kirsten So. Cal.
Website

Laura - You keep saying that you're not suppose to me on the comp. but here you are!! :D

Sue Ann - I love it! I want to make one now! They really are getting popular. Hmmmm...:rolleyes:

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Thank you all SO VERY MUCH!!  Since Beezley was going down a road that's new to me, I wasn't sure what would turn up! bear_shocked bear_shocked  But very big hugs to all of you . . . I appreciate so much the positive feedback that encourages me to try another!  Diane, thanks so much, too, for reporting your friend's reaction!  I am totally flattered that she thinks I'm famous bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin  I'm just Sue Ann . . . unkown from a very small town on the plains of west Texas . . . who happened to have the incredible luck to discover teddy bears and the whole community of bear people!!  A wonderful bunch of people you are, too!!  Every last one of you!!  bear_laugh

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Sue Ann, your foray into Anime turned out wonderfully.  Very cute, and still very much a "Past Time Bears" original look you've managed.  Darling!

Website

Hi Sue Ann
What a wonderful first attempt!! You have also managed to keep your trade mark look!!! Look forward to seeing the next one!!! I can hardly wait to try one of these myself. So much to do so little time!!!
Hugs
Gail

Board footer