Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Fairybear Wagga Wagga

Hi all, my girlfriend has just had a baby girl after years of trying - I am so happy for her.  I want to make a bear for her (not for the baby to play with) and I want to have a music box in it.  I searched the index but couldn't find anything specific.  Does anyone have any recommendations, hints, tips about how/where I should put it.  Thanks.

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

There's a waggle joint for the head that links to a music box, or the more traditional wind up kind here: http://www.christiebears.co.uk/acatalog … ments.html

HTH

Fairybear Wagga Wagga

Hi Katy, I tried one of those once and it was too hard (for me at least) to do properly.  I was just gonna put the little wind up one somewhere.  I was hoping you could maybe put it in the foot as I would like to dress the bear but not sure if that will work.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

You might need a pretty big foot to fit a music box into...

I've put music boxes in a few bears with the wind-up key sticking out the back seam. The tricky parts were 1.) adjusting the stuffing so that the box couldn't be felt, and 2.) compensating for the weight of the box so the bear doesn't topple over backwards. (It's not difficult to close the seam around the key using a ladder stitch.) I'd recommend using some pellets or shot for weight in the feet and the bottom of the body, and placing polyfill strategically around the music box.

All in all, it's very do-able.  bear_original

Becky

Fairybear Wagga Wagga

Thanks guys, will try that and hope for the best! Appreciate your help.

teeeej Brisbane
pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

I used to use wind-up music boxes alot, until I couldn't find the music I wanted anymore. The one time, a woman wanted 2 music boxes so they could switch them out. What I did for her ( and have done with others since) is a I make the bear, and put a velcro pocket in the back for the music box. It means I stuff the bear elsewhere because I sew in the pocket as I make the bear. That way, the box can be removed if the person wants to remove it at any time for whatever reason..............Good luck with it!

Ellen

Fairybear Wagga Wagga

I found a really great place that has heaps of music boxes http://www.ceramicraft.com.au/products/ … ments.aspx so I ordered a small selection. 

I have decided to do a pattern by Monica Spicer for the baby
Caitlin_P.jpg

What do you think?

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

Aww, she's lovely, I'm sure your friend will love her

Board footer