Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

teddyretirementhome Woo Bears
toronto

I have two:

the top of my list is getting the expression just right - it may not be what I started off with as a vision, but the bear's personality sort of tells me as I get there....

and #2 (very strangely!) is gently picking out the mohair from the seams with an embroidery needle.  Weird, I know:  I think its because it almost seems like magic when my not-so-great-yet seams become invisible and are camoflaged  bear_rolleyes

Brenda
trh

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Great topic. I think my favorite part is designing a new pattern and waiting to see what the end result is going to be. This is where I get my greatest reward. My second favorite part believe it or not is sewing the little ones together. I dont know why but think it is because at that point I have not made any grave mistakes. :)

My least favorite is stuffing and sewing the seams after stuffing. But I'm blessed to have the time to devote to my passion so I'm not complaining.

Hugs Louise

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

The face.....Eyes...nose...scissoring...shading ...needle sculpting.....THE FACE...love it!!

Clarebear Fulrfun Bears
Alice Springs
lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

bear_tongue  The hug!  yep, the hug...

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I agree with Jenny . . . doing all the things to the head that determine the final expression/personality the bear has.

New Avenue Crew New Avenue Crew by Debora Hoffmann
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Website

Definitely the head and face.  bear_thumb I love seeing the bear's personality come to life. In fact, I have a little one sitting here on my desk in a teacup looking at me...her ears are pinned on and she just has True Eyes (positioning eyes on pins) at the moment. But with her sitting and looking at me, I get to fall for her, decide what to change (if anything), and will then be motivated to do the other things--like finish her! bear_laugh

EvaJ EJ's Crafts
Fort Mohave, Arizona

The head is my favorite too.  I just love to see the expression come out.

Melisa Nichols Melisa's Bears
Hazelton, BC
Website

This is a tough one for me... I think the only part I don't like is when I poke myself with the needle which I do regularly.  Even on my new bear, Lizzie, I stuck a needle a quarter inch into my finger. 

I love designing - I guess that's why I hardly ever create bears that are similar to each other.  I love the sewing as I hand sew and I find it very relaxing - I'm also excited at this point to be starting a new creation.  I enjoy stuffing as then I can see the shape come together - although it does take a little too much time on a huge bear. 

And of course... the face!  I love creating the face - some of the details I do can frustrate me at times, but it is the face that makes me fall in love!    bear_wub

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

The designing, and seeing if what I think I've drawn out actually comes out in the fur, and the face, love the face  bear_wub

valewoodbears Valewood Bears
Yorkshire
Website

For me it is the doing the face, think most of us love this bit best  bear_grin .

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

bear_wub I too will love the head and face, thats what makes a bear come to life, just looking at those eyes looking back at you, makes my heart flutter and then like someone said before, THE HUGS!!

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I love the part when I've finished a bear, I'm happy with it, and I start dreaming up the next one. The possibilities seem so endless, and then something starts to take shape in my mind -- the size, the fur, the personality, the design features...

Then I usually start burrowing through my mohair stash in search of the right color and texture, and the process has begun.

Becky

Karon Posts: 751

I guess you are going to think I'm odd - but my favourite bit is hand sewing the bear - I find it so relaxing.

My most anxious bit is when I start do the shading, particularly on the face.  I nearly always have an "Oh Bum, I've messed it up moment".  It is usually just a stage though and I turn out loving the bear in the end.

Karon

Carlyle Bear Co. Carlyle Bear Co.
Ft Myers FL

For some reason I enjoy hand shading with my prismacolor markers the best!  They make an okay, somewhat plain face have depth and expression.   I also enjoy handsewing the gusset to the two head pieces since that is the only part I don't do on a machine (except footpads).  I agree that hand sewing can be relaxing.  Attaching the ears makes me say bad words sometimes. bear_tongue

ciderantiques Ciderantiques and Old Soul Bears
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

My favorite part is when the bear decides if it will be a boy or a girl, lol.    They often change my plan mid way, lol.   I agree that the face is so much fun to finish. I also like the accessories . . . deciding which hat, dress or vintage sweater will add to the over all look.    I'm working on a clown bear right now . . . hope to have him done in a few days.  Yep, it's a boy  bear_original

Ivyworks Ivyworks Artistry
Ottawa, Ontario

For me, it's stitching up the back seam after everything is poked and prodded into place. It's the moment where I can't help but think, "I've done it, I've finished him/her and they look a treat!" bear_original

Karon Posts: 751

Oh, and I like the bit when it finds a new home with a loving recipient!

Karon

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

I love cutting out, and the finishing, eyes shading and trimming...and accessorising bear_happy

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Scissor trimming the face. Shading. Brushing. Those finishing touches. bear_wub

I used to love doing noses best. I'm sure if I looked back at the last time we discussed this that would have been my answer. But I don't seem to be able to do noses to suit me any more.

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Well, I love doing the faces, like so many others, and believe it or not I really like sewing in the foot pads - must because I know then that I am nearly done! (oh, and they are mini so don't take too long, LOL!) But I think my favourite part, although sometimes most frustrating if I have to do it 20 or 30 times to get the right one, is taking their pictures at the end! That is when I am really able to tell how the bear turned out!

Board footer