Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I know you all knew someone would bring it up, so thought I'd start it off!  I usually DON'T make them because I can't keep them - which leads to a lot of guilt, and who needs that??!!  However, on New Year's Day of 2005, I did resolve to quit my compulsive buying of Beanie Babies . . . I have waaaaaay too many and no more places to put them.  They take up a lot of space that mohair and bear supplies could be occupying.  And with the exception of maybe two purchases, I have not bought any Beanies this year.  So . . . since I accomplished that resolution successfully, I decided to make another one for 2006.  Four words . . . less food, more exercise!!  I weigh more now than I EVER have in my life and I don't feel well most of the time.  I've gained about 30 pounds over the last 3 - 4 years and it's taking its toll.  I have a small frame and these extra pounds are literally weighing me down.  If I am honest, the debilitating effects of my arthritis and degenerative disk disease would be much less if I didn't carry so much extra weight.  I am throwing out a challenge to anyone who wants to join with me in making some changes in our lives, whether it be to lose weight, exercise more, quit smoking, feed the hungry, volunteer your services to charity organizations . . . whatever it might be, we can come here and get support and encouragement from each other as we try to make those changes.  I have to say that I am publically announcing my resolution, because I know myself well enough that I'm liable to fizzle out on my good intentions.  But by making all of you aware of what I want to do, maybe I'll actually be successful rather than have to admit failure to so many people.  I'll have YOUto answer to as well as myself.  If you don't want to go public, then just play along silently, within your own head . . . or PM me.  I'm going to make up a chart showing our progress as much as possible and will report on this board the successes.  If you don't want your progress shown, it won't be.  Now mind you, I'm just making this up as I type, so I'll actually need to sit down and think about it further, but even if nobody wants to take part, I'm doing this as a challenge to myself - in hopes that it will inspire me to actually work on my resolution.  Any takers?

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Dear Sue Ann,
I have also gained a few extra bags !!!!!!!!and on a small frame I agree it ads to health problems,especially when when one reaches the middle years of life. 
I thought I would start going back to Gym at the beginning of the new Year and try the swimming pool, and maybe I could get back into the excercise routine. I used to run, but somehow over the last few months I have got out of that routine and become a lazy bum. Sitting making teddy bears does not help that area either !!!!!!!!!
So I will join you.
By chatting we agree,
that less food it should be,
more excercise we need,
trimer our figures shall be. bear_original

Lynette

Estelle Estelles canal bears and Tod Teddies
Todmorden West Yorkshire

about ten years ago I made a new year resolution never to make new year resolutions and I have stuck to it resolutely  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I need to loose 10 pounds.  And with this new provisional diagnosis it will be crucial-. 

So honey, I'll join you in the weight loss plan.

Also I have been reading that stretching is crucial so I am ordering the dvds of my old Yoga tapes to use them for stretching- no longer seem to have a vhs player but do have a dvd player....go figure

so there's half the exercise component

AND- to assist my hubby who says he wants to loose 35 lbs I am hiding all the chocolate where he will never ever find it.....the trash!

there's my good deed for the day.  If it isn't here he wont go buy more.

Last year my resolution was to dig at my headache problem until I found out the whys and wherefores.....I think we have found the whys....now to learn how to deal with them.  So it seems I met that criteria.

So, OK Miss Sue Ann, bring on the exercise and the diets and we can do it!

hugs

dilu

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Sue Ann,
I too have exactly 30 pounds to loose so YOUR ON!! Exercise is a swear word in my world but just two weeks ago I started walking 3 miles 3 times a week.... OK not much but a start. At the same time I changed my eating habits (just before Christmas, what was I thinking???). Guess what, I lost 3 pounds!!! Now, of course, I gained them all back over the weekend and today is rainy and cold and I do draw a line so no walking today and the left over pie and cookies and baked goods are calling my name. BUT, I KNOW I CAN DO IT!!!

I too have experienced the health reprocussions of the added weight and have had enough of feeling so icky. Being diabetic, the added weight causes lots of challenges with blood sugar management and requires that I take a lot more medication. I don't want to do that any more!!!!

Too bad we couldn't all take walks together or all go to the gym. Can you see us...... say 10 or 20 or even 40 of us showing up at a gym with teddy talk t-shirts on, sweat bands around our heads and bottles of water in hand ready to get fit!!!  bear_laugh

I think holding our selves accountable to eachother by checking in with our status from time to time is a great idea. Of course, I can totally understand those who aren't comfortable with that idea!

My other New Years Resolution is to put more effort and focus into the bear world... not just in making them but in education and in producing shows... (yes, I'm contemplating a second bear show for 2006 in addition to the one I'm producing in August! NUTS??? Maybe!)

Thanks for starting this thread, Sue Ann!

Gatehouse Bears Gatehouse Gallery
Lockwood, Victoria, Australia

Sue Ann, I'm in too!!!  I need to lose ?*&%# pounds and I'm feeling crappy because of it.  My knee will prevent running, but I'm determined to walk and use the exercise equipment that currently has mohair hanging over it bear_grin   bear_grin  bear_grin

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

Hi Everyone,
                       What a great Idea for a new start in a New Year. Count me in too ,I will try my very utmost to lose weight along with you all.Since retiring I have gained a stone in weight ,I am small framed too , and it does add to all other medical conditions.  All the Best for a Great 2006 Folks.   Hugs Rita xxxx

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

I will be in on this too ...... I have a xxxx to lose so count me in.

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Hi All,

What a great idea SueAnn and thanks for starting this New Year's Resolutions Challenge.
Please count me in as I think the older one gets the more we need to exercise to maintain
good health.
With all the eating of chocolates and other Christmas goodies, I feel so much like wanting to do more exercise.
Thank goodness for our dogs - we have just walked Heidi, on a nice long walk so good for everyone!
So it is less food for me and more exercise!! I will get out my workout videos and try and do them
at least 3 times a week and do some swimming.

Thanks again SueAnn.

tarnuf Hamilton New Zealand

:clap:  Yeah what a great idea. You can count me in to as I have been struggling with my weight too. Gonna start back at the gym in the new year too. My other new years resolution is to complete more bears. So now I will have my own sewing room I will be able to get more organised.  bear_flower

Tania

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Wow, ladies . . . thanks so much for your responses!  I think we will all work harder and more consistently if we know that we have each other for support and encouragement.  I will weigh myself on Jan. 1, 2006, and start the countdown from there.  I used to run, but can't anymore because of my bone/joint problems . . . so, my plan is to walk 2 miles, 5 times a week, or a total of 10 miles/week.  Please feel free to exercise in whatever way suits you best, but I want you to be in on how/what I'm doing.  I feel we should report to this board once a week on our progress - or is that too often?  I know that I'm going to NEED the pressure of publically posting my progress if I am going to stick with the program!  Don't feel you have to tell your starting weight - I'm not!!  But I will say how many pounds (if any) that I've lost and how many miles I walked that week.  Since the 1st is on Sunday, maybe we can start every week by posting our info each Monday.  If you agree with that, then our first posting will be on Monday, Jan. 9th.  Daphne, I LOVE the mental image of us all together decked out in our t-shirts, with water bottles and ready to defeat the enemy of extra weight and flabby bums!  I have started a notebook with all of our names and the goals that we are working toward.  AND, I will be observing the board to see if you are posting your progress and will put your information under your name.  This is ONLY if you want to be public with your efforts and there will certainly be NO pressure for you to do so.  If anyone has any suggestions to add, please do!  Now, I have some Christmas goodies to devour before next Sunday . . . see ya guys!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA
SueAnn wrote:

Now, I have some Christmas goodies to devour before next Sunday . . . see ya guys!

HA! HA! Enjoy EVERY morsel!!

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

I want to take part also. I don't really need to lose weight but as I get older and am struggling with my health, I do need to make sure I do not gain wait as I was a very over weight teen and do not want to deal with that. My problem is my legs so I need to do yoga and weight/strength training as my health topples down hill. Walking and excercise are painful but I need to get a  handle on this.

I love the Teddy Talk T-shirt girls image too. Wouldn't it be great if we could get some type of T-shirt made up with the Teddy Talk logo and a picture of a bear/or bears that we could all purchase and wear when we are getting fit,then that would remind us of our challenge and make us think of each other as we "get fit" .Something like Estelle"s avatar bear.Anyone know how we could do that? I know I would buy a few. Maybe Intercal could help us since this whole terrific site and board is theirs and it could be like advertisement for them if all us girls,all over the world were sporting these shirts!!  :dance:   :dance:  What do you girls think??? Maybe I'm just being silly but we do make an awesome team, don't you agree?

Will  you all listen when I whine about chocolate?  cuz, to help the hubs I can't have it in the house......already I am feeling withdrawel and I am sitting less than a foot away!  Hows that for pathetic?

Just the thought.....yikes!~~!!

this should be fun.....come on dillydo- time to shake your ......

He's gone to work -so I guess i will toss out the rest I have hidden.....sigh.....

OK its in the trash.....but I did take one more taste......happy sigh.....

dilu

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Oh no, Dilu . . . go retrieve that chocolate from the trash!!!  I'm not starting until Sunday!  I've got Krispy Kreme chocolate donut holes in the freezer, mince pie, and chocolate bars my kids gave me for Christmas to eat . . . all by Sunday.  And I surely intend to eat GOOD until then.  Hooray . . . we already have 10 in our challenge!

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

Count me in SueAnn!! What a great idea. bear_thumb thanks for starting this.  There is nothing like public accountability to keep me motivated! 
After I quit smoking several years a go, I gained a lot of weight. ugh. I hate it. I lost quite a bit last summer but somehow lost steam in the fall and really fell off the diet wagon this past week. bear_sad  I find it harder to lose weight in the winter but MUST get back on track!!! I have at least another 30 pounds to lose, maybe even 40 and I'm determined to do it!

Daphne wrote:

Can you see us...... say 10 or 20 or even 40 of us showing up at a gym with teddy talk t-shirts on, sweat bands around our heads and bottles of water in hand ready to get fit!!!

Yes, I can see it! What a great visual. When I exercise, I will have this in my head! bear_original

Shari wrote:

I love the Teddy Talk T-shirt girls image too. Wouldn't it be great if we could get some type of T-shirt made up with the Teddy Talk logo and a picture of a bear/or bears that we could all purchase and wear when we are getting fit,then that would remind us of our challenge and make us think of each other as we "get fit" .Something like Estelle"s avatar bear.Anyone know how we could do that? I know I would buy a few. Maybe Intercal could help us since this whole terrific site and board is theirs and it could be like advertisement for them if all us girls,all over the world were sporting these shirts!!

Great idea Shari! I would buy one.

jazzyrags Jazzy Rags
nsw

050_AB20386Stretch-Kelley-Posters.jpgSue Ann i would love to join it will be like weight watcher ,are we going to have same sort of chart we can post don't no how we are going to go about it, but at the moment i look like a fat pig maybe we could take a pixs of before and after say six months or same thing like that ,but i would like to send the one who losers the most weight after a certain time a free teddy bear dress all cost to me that might keep us motivated so make sure i don't win girls . Now i have to eat all the goodies before the 1st Jan . I will post a pixs of the dress in the near furture. I to would buy a few t shirt

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA
SueAnn wrote:

I'm not starting until Sunday!  I've got Krispy Kreme chocolate donut holes in the freezer, mince pie, and chocolate bars my kids gave me for Christmas to eat . . . all by Sunday.  And I surely intend to eat GOOD until then.

You are going to have 40 pounds to loose by Sunday!  bear_laugh   bear_laugh   bear_laugh

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

I have alot to eat before Sunday it seems everyone gave us chocolates and sweets .. is it a sign we are getting old?????????????? Fran what a lovely thing to do ...

OOPS-  already in the trsh.....But I couldn't find everything.  I hide it too well.....but I will fess up as I find it, and the added bonus?

I will have to go through drawers and boxes......ugh!

I think I have lost weight just thinking about it!

no?

sigh

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I don't do diets...I can't do diets...tell me I can't have it...shouldn't eat it...and that's all I can think about.  Not that I don't need to lose weight because well...I could lose the equivalent of a small child.   bear_grin   bear_grin

My New Years Resolutions (althought I'm more on the same path as Estelle) is to reconnect with my spiritual self.  I seem to do better in life when I let go of the material stuff in the world and spend more time enjoying the simple things in life.  This past year has been VERY stressful for both my physical health and my emotional health.  I need to reconnect with my faith and let go of the things that cause me great stress and anxiety.  When I do these things I am more at peace and I feel better as a whole person.  And...to share this with my loved ones.

Am I making any sense?

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Shantell, perfect sense!
We all have different spiritual beliefs.... no matter what your beliefs, a deeper sense of inner-spirit can make all the difference in all aspects of your life and make you an example to others.
You are to be applauded for realizing your spiritual needs and vowing to focus on them.
:hug:
Daphne

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

You make a lot of sense, Shantell.  And, this challenge doesn't have to be about losing weight . . . . that's just what I want to do.  If you want to join in, just post whether or not you had success in reducing your stress for that week, or did you have some moments of enlightenment, etc.  No pressure.   :hug:

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Merry Christmas everyone.

I'm soo in for this Chalenge. Thank you Sue Ann. I had already vowed to loose weight this year, so it's nice to have some buddies.
I've said there are 2 things I must do before we have a kid. Quit smoking and loose weight. So, I've quit smoking, and I'm assuming if I can do that, surely I can take care of my body. Right??
Don't know how much I weigh. Yuck!! I'll know by how my pants fit.
I plan on excersizing 4 times a week. At home, yoga, on my ball and weights. I have this great yoga for weight loss tape. It's wonderfull and I feel soo tall afterwards.

Shantell, great idea for your resolution. And I totally agree with you about the whole 'diet' word. YUCK bear_angry

Board footer