Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Brenda, the glycemic index is a "chart", or index, of numbers which are a kind of a rating system for carbohydrates (known more generally as "sugars"). 

I don't remember precisely how it works; what the numbers are, and whether 1 is considered "good" and 10, "bad"... or the reverse.  I think the higher glycemic index numbers are the "bad" ones.

Anyhow... what the glycemic index tells you, by ranking all carbohydrate sources, is how QUICKLY a particular carbohydrate will rush into your blood stream, and raise your blood sugar levels.  Which, in this application -- and put VERY simply -- is a bad thing. 

The broad thinking, for those into the Atkins/low-carb thing, is that blood sugars get all wacko in some people; their bodies lose the ability to use insulin to good advantage, and the result is that, when the body "sees" sugar, insulin grabs it and takes it DIRECTLY to fat storage!  Along the way, these same people are said to experience fatigue, mood swings, bloating, etc.  All of which can be related, some say, to excess carbohydrate intake (which is typical in the American diet, especially processed carbohydrate)... and/or to what's called "insulin resistance," which happens when you produce enough insulin to cart your sugars -- your "energy" -- to your cells, for them to use, but also that, for whatever reason, your cells turn those sugars away (have become resistant to the insulin "taxicab" that ferried them to your cells, for their use), thus leaving them no place to go but fat storage.

In short, the idea is that someone who is insulin resistant handles their carbohydrates poorly, and is quicker to gain weight, because their insulin is ineffective in getting those carbs used up as cellular energy.

Soooo... are you still with me? (gawd, this is boring..... )....

The glycemic index, and the Atkins diet, are not the same thing.  But they agree on the idea that wide swings in blood sugar have uncomfortable side effects and can lead to weight gain in some people who are insulin resistant.  The Atkins diet, per se, is simply an eating plan that focuses on eating less than 20 grams of carbohydrate per day.  The idea behind this is that, with so little carbohydrate being taken in as food, your body will very quickly burn thru your body's own carbohydrate stores  in about two days, and then move DIRECTLY to burning fat... even while you are eating bacon and cheese at every meal!  The body stores carbohydrate for, well, starvation conditions, or quick energy needs, in the muscles... but only a thousand or so calories, which are burned thru very quickly if you deprive your body of consumed carbohydrate.

The science of how this works, on a physiological level, is quite sound.  But the debate is over whether it's healthy to put your kidneys through this protein-heavy diet, which is hard on them, and whether taking in so much fat and cholesterol is good for you.  Although, on the pro side, if you weigh 10% less when finished, that in and of itself is a healthy outcome... no matter how you got there.  And there have actually been studies which suggest that the Atkins diet is better for cholesterol numbers than a high carb diet.  But, like all things diet, it's entirely under debate.

20 grams of carbohydrate, by the way, is near to NOTHING.  The diet boils down to: no chips, no cereal, no potatoes, absolutely no bread or anything sweet or savory like cookies and crackers, etc.  Lots of whole foods; lots of cheeses, meats, and carb-free dairy (meaning, no milk!)

These strict guidelines, by the way, apply only during the first phase (a minimum of two weeks) of the Atkins diet.  After that, you are encouraged to re-introduce "good" carbs very slowly, with the fiber-rich, nutrient-dense, LOW GLYCEMIC INDEX ones being introduced first (vegetables, and especially dense and grainy, high-fiber, whole-wheat bread if you want it), until you figure out your "balance point" when it comes to carb intake; in other words, just how many grams of carbs per day YOU can eat, and NOT gain weight.

Hope this helps out at least a little!

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Thanks gals - man, I'm getting an education here!  Shelli, you did very well at explaining the two systems.  It really isn't that complicated once you know how it's set up, and what results you are trying to achieve.  Now, I seem to remember years ago (I'm dating myself here) that the Scarsdale diet was in the same league?  I sort of remember it was high protein, low carb and it worked for me waaaaaaay back then.  Worked for poor Dr. Scarsdale until someone murdered the poor man (I think it was his old mistress).  These poor Doctors sure don't last long!  Anyway, thanks for the info and maybe I will have to haul out my Atkins diet book.

Hugs,

Brenda

Hugs,

Brenda

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Oh Shelli!
Good thing you can type soo fast!! LOL

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shaddup, Heather.  :)

By the way, for those who have not, like Judi and Dilu and me and probably a handful of others, taken physiology...

You might also want to know that your body does a bang-up job of regulating the amount of sugar free-floating in your bloodstream.  And it has to, otherwise you'd suffer dire medical consequences... like coma, brain damage, or death.  Think Julia Roberts in STEEL MAGNOLIAS.

My memory is rusty on this, but I think the body keeps your blood sugar at a nearly precise 100 mg/dl.

If you're a Type1 diabetic, your body CAN'T do this, because it doesn't produce any insulin at all, which is the "taxicab" which picks up blood sugar and puts it either to use (as cellular energy), or into storage (as fat.)  That's why diabetics need insulin injections -- or pills which aid insulin production or increase its efficient usage, in the case of Type 2 diabetics.  If you don't have a way to handle your blood sugars, and they get much away from 100 mg/dl, you're basically dead.

I believe -- diabetic gals, please confirm -- that what diabetics are measuring with their daily (or many times daily) pinprick tests it precisely that number; the amount of mg/dl of free-floating blood sugar.

Anyway... just wanted to add this, because the explanation above doesn't make sense if you don't first understand that there is a level of consistent blood sugar your body is always seeking out... and that shifts from that number cause physiological outcomes.  For diabetics, really bad ones; for people who don't handle carbs well -- fatigue, bloating, mood swings, etc., until their body can "get a grip" on what they've stuck in their mouths.

Heather... still shaddup.

(Love you girly!)

bear_happy  :hug:

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Another downfall wit htha Atkins is that it can make your breath really really bad.  As your body goes into kerokentisis (argh sorry i can't find it at present) as it breaks down things in your body to make up for what youare missing which leads to bad breath.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Yes, exactly!  Your body excretes ketones through your breath, among other places ;), when you are in a fat-burning stage.  Although that's true on any diet.

You're thinking of ketoacidosis.  I can't remember the ATKINS explanation, but it's not quite the same in his diet as it is when you're diabetic, because the associated processes are somehow different. 

I keep breath mints handy!  It's not terrible -- kinda sweet in most people -- and diabetics are all too familiar with ketone-breath themselves! Or so I've been told....

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

bear_shocked  I"m a wee bit tired as I've spent a long day journeying back and forth to Kansas City, but Shelli's done a brilliant job of covering info.  ...for the record, Dr Atkins did not die of heart disease...he slipped on ice on April 7th, hit his head and went into a coma.  At the hospital, they didn't honor his form of diet, and his body responded badly with water retention, bloating, etc.  Of course he went downhill quickly and died the very next day...

Although this diet does encourage cheeses, please note for the first two weeks, you need to make sure you're not eating more than 4 ounces of cheese a day.  All cheeses have some level of carb content to them.  As for facing greasy breakfasts.... mine is a little bit of butter melted in the pan, and in goes two scrambled eggs with a slice of crumbled cheese.  Sometimes dices of organic hams (be careful there are no nitrates or hidden sugars!) but you could just as easily add a little diced onion, or a tiny bit of pepper or tomato.  There's no need for the bacon if you don't want it.  Dr Atkins says you can eat this way without floating in the grease.....

Ripley, Queensland

Wow this place is full of info.  i hate it when you only get partial stories, when you actually talk to people involved (not selling though) you get a better idea.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

The glycemic index, and the Atkins diet, are not the same thing.  But they agree on the idea that wide swings in blood sugar have uncomfortable side effects and can lead to weight gain in some people who are insulin resistant.

I feel I have to restate this; it's been bugging me since I wrote it. I hate to misspeak or misrepresent things.  (and like to be corrected when I'm wrong, too, by the way!)

It's not true that the Atkins diet and the glycemic index actually AGREE on anything.  The glycemic index doesn't have an opinion, or take a position, or espouse a particular eating plan.  It merely outlines some characteristics of sugar/carbohydrate.

Specifically, it's an instrument for measurement -- like inches, tablespoons, or degrees are.  It's the yardstick for sugars!  And what it measures is how quickly carbohydrate sources are digested (broken down by your body for use) -- which is the same thing as measuring how quickly these carbohydrates will shoot into your bloodstream and begin free-floating.

White rice, potatoes, and white sugar basically go into your mouth, and after a few meandering steps thru your alimentary canal, pretty much fly immediately off into your bloodstream.  Things like brown rice, however -- full of fiber, which your body can't digest at all (it's basically tree bark), much less quickly -- and very seedly, whole-grain breads, and cellulose-rich veggies, take muuuuuuuuuuuch longer for your body to digest, and thus, enter your bloodstream very, very slowly.  So you don't get that WHAM-BANG sugar rush you get with Coke, candy bars, and Chinese food!  (Mmmm, but I love Chinese food.  Sesame chicken; yay!  No more of THAT for a while. :()

The glycemic index measures these things using not a real-life, real-time timeframe, but instead using NUMBERS that are relative to one another, in the sense that they go from "low" to "high."

Sorry for the misstatement.  :redface:

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Shelli, what is your IQ?  I think you must be a genius!  bear_flower   bear_flower   bear_flower

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Very much not a genius, but thanks for the suggestion.  Not even close.  I like medical stuff and it's always been a kind of one-shot learning thing for me; I see it, I remember it... more or less.  Don't forget I took anatomy/physiology/nutrition, plus several months enrolled in actual nursing school, less than five years ago.  So that's not genius; it just happens to align with something I happen to know.

Now ask me about how to fix a car...

bear_ermm  bear_noexpression  bear_innocent  bear_wacko  bear_whistle  bear_original

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Shelli, I'm thinking my clutch is going and I'm wondering what's the best tool to remove my transmission so I can fix it?

Okay, shutting up.......................LOL bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_tongue  bear_tongue  bear_tongue  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh

But seriously, if you have any tips on extreme water retention..............beside less salt of course.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

I DO have a tip for you:  Don't drink any water.  Ever.  Again.  That way, you can't retain it.

Shelli = Genius.

Here is my most recent photo; check me out!

Mad_scientist_caricature.png_thumb.jpg

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

By the way, my hair really does look like that. bear_original

Ripley, Queensland

Actually isn't it the opposite.  If you suffer from retention you drink more water?
It was one of those odd facts that stick in your mind because you go What The?

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Oh, darling Bronwen, I was kidding.  bear_happy

Shelli,
     You are too funny!  Anywayyyyyy, I am enjoying all my new found information on health etc in your posts - keep em coming!   It might even motivate me to do something LOL

Hugs,

Brenda

Ripley, Queensland

bear_grin Shelli I kinda knew you were kidding but i didn't clarify it,  I was just musing that if you drink more water then it should help instead of drinking less like some people assume.
It's all right I'll learn one day how to type properly and think about what I am writing instead of thinking everyone can read my mind!

....yawn..what am I doing up?...yawn...but this just kept nagging at me, so here's a link to the official Atkins site for those curious about the approach.  It explains in full detail, and sets you on your path.... http://www.atkins.com/articles/nutritional-approach

Induction (beginning) lasts for approximately two weeks, and is denoted by a number 1.  As your weight begins to come off, you can start to add carbs slowly, and watching portion sizes.  With more carbs comes a slower weight loss, but it still comes off.  If you add too many carbs, and begin to feel yucky again, and start gaining weight, you rebalance your carbs.  Incidentally, for the first addition back you can have a few nuts, or you can add one of my favorites... berries!  :hug: Its just really important to watch your portions.  Yes, you can have them, but you can't eat a whole pint of them!  As you progress and near your ideal weight, you go through the other stages of 2, 3 and 4.

And for those stuck on ideas for recipes, or just curious about Atkins/low carb recipes, here's another link http://www.atkins.com/recipes

Above all.... WATER WATER WATER!!!!! WATER WATER WATER!!!!  No matter what approach you're using for a healthier you, work on drinking more water...your body will thank you.  If you're on a low carb approach, you'll definitely want water as the diet can be very dehydrating at first.   :rose:

....yawn...now I can go back and start dreaming of teds instead of ...water!  bear_grin

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Wandered in here out of curiosity -  my, my!  What a heap of wholesomely behaved folk!  I'm impressed.  I haven't read every single page yet, so forgive me if this has been covered, but like I said, I'm curious, is anyone mixing in a little exercise with their new healthy eating regime?

ME!!!   bear_grin  I'm doing a Balance Ball workout daily, along with breathing exercises, and some free weights for my arms.  I'm soon to add the Bowflex workouts as well...  bear_thumb

Hi Paula,
     I have a DVD for a group of simple Pilates exercises (Pilated for Dummies)  I never felt better than when I used them and can't remember why I stopped.  Now I have trouble with a sciatic nerve, so I'm blowing the dust it and am going to start again. 

Hugs,

Brenda

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Good point Paula,

I'm working out everyday. One day I do weights, the other I do yoga, then my balance ball etc. I'm also walking much more, taking the stairs at work, trying to jog with the dog instead of walking with him

I have to admit I love to eat, so I'd rather have to work out more, so I can eat more. Just a personal thing I guess.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Absolutely yes, Paula!  My original resolution (way back on pg. 1) was to walk 10 miles/week and try to lose 30 lbs.  Sigh . . . it's going to be reeeeeaaaalllly hard!

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

I love the idea of a balance ball!  That looks such fun ... I think I'd spend too much time rolling around the floor in fits of giggles every time I slipped off though!  bear_tongue

My favourite exercise is just to walk - I love it.  It picks me up, dusts me down and energises me.  Trouble is, finding the time to escape ... *sighs*

So instead, I step on my little stepper thing, whilst waggling pretty pink girlie dumbells around wildly.  This is of course done in the privacy of my boudoir ... after all, I wouldn't wish the sight of me clad in just my undies, whilst huffin' and puffin' like an ol' steam engine on my poor kids!  They'd laugh their socks off!!  bear_grin

Board footer