Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

For those of you who have been following the Hope and Lily saga . . . the latest update is that Lily has abandoned Hope and nobody knows where she (Hope) is.  Of course, Lily has the GPS collar on, so they can track her, but she is miles away from where she left Hope asleep in a tree yesterday.  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  I am totally worried about our little cub.  Please send good vibes that she is found unhurt.

puca bears puca bears

I just looked at Lily's FB pages........this is horrible! Like everyone else, I'm hoping that Lily knows what she is doing, and that Hope is Ok...............but it is  an awful worry. There were posts about a bear who left her cubs in someones yard for several days, and then came back for them. It's going to be a LONG day, waiting and hoping for positive news
huggies
Maria

Barling Bears Barling Bears
Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

This is absolutely terrible.  I check every day on the website to read all about the wonderful life that Hope and Lily have been having since they escaped their den, watch wonderful videos, so was terribly worried when I last read that Lily had moved so far away and had left poor little Hope asleep in a tree.  Lily has also been swimming across lakes though returning to Hope eventually.  We know obviously that Lily can care for herself, but with little Hope lost and no-one knowing where on earth she is, it is even more worrying.

It's amazing how these things make us feel when we don't even personally "know" the animals.  I feel really upset by it all and just can't get on with any bearing today as planned.  I just hope and pray along with thousands of other followers that they are soon re-united.

Not a happy day at all.  The sun might be shining but my heart feels like lead.  bear_cry  bear_cry

Let's hope we have some good news very soon.

Hugs to all.

Marilyn.

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

OOOOHH  NOOOOO!!!!cry....

Joanne

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

My heart just sank reading this !!! How sad.  I've been watching their progress everyday.   I am heartbroken, and praying they find our little Hope  :pray:

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Linda Gibson, the woman who put together all those great video clips when the bears were still in the den, has posted some wise words on Facebook. Go to the Discussions tab on Lily's page and read the post about Lily's excursions. It was helpful to me.

This might turn out the way we'd like, or it might not, but I love you all for being as upset as I am about this baby bear.  :hug:

Becky

puca bears puca bears

I keep telling myself that she's Ok - but.........the waiting for news is just awful.
There's a LOT of Bear Power being directed her way - that's got to be good.
huggies
Maria

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

bear_wub  :pray: It saddens me to read about little hope all alone, I can only hope that her mom comes back and is able to find her.  Just like in the movie "BEAR", that little bear was also lost but was able to get back to mama.  Prayers are going out across the nation from all of us.
Hugs Pat

puca bears puca bears

Still no sign of the wee cub - it's just heartbreaking. bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry
I know "hope springs eternal", but it's not looking good
huggies
Maria

Bloomsburg, PA

Things are not looking so good.  Lily has stopped searching. 

I am not dealing with this very well.  I know in this world we are only witnesses, but it was hard not to get attached.

Joanne

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
Joanne wrote:

I am not dealing with this very well.

Then I'm not either, Joanne.  bear_cry  But honestly, it's more than OK to feel strong emotions, and Hope is one wild animal that we got to know a little. What's more natural than to get attached?

Bear hugs,
Becky

Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Joanne wrote:

I am not dealing with this very well.  I know in this world we are only witnesses, but it was hard not to get attached.

Hi Everyone,

You are certainly not alone Joanne, I feel so sad about Hope that it's making me feel ill.  Many a tear has already been shed here.   bear_cry  bear_cry I almost feel as though I have lost my own pet and can't get it all out of my mind and yes, it is too hard not to get attached especially when you have followed the little bear from the second she was born.  Heaven knows how the poor research team are feeling right now, they must be devastated.  I really did think that there would be some good news today especially as Lily had been searching for Hope but obviously the torrential rain has swept away the good scents laid down.  I am trying hard to think positively, there could still be a brilliant outcome.  It makes you want to go out there and search yourself doesn't it.

Hugs to all

Marilyn

Bloomsburg, PA

I knew if anyone would understand it would be here.  I think my husband thinks I am a nut case.

Joanne

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

You're not a nut case.  You are a tender heart.  All of you are.   bear_wub

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

puca bears puca bears

That's the hardest part.........not knowing. I've been moping round like a lost soul, checking in so often to see if there's any news  that I'm surprised my Refresh button hasn't given up the ghost.
It's just heartbreaking........ bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry
huggies
Maria

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

I have spent the entire day checking, checking and re-checking for updates.  The interview from this morning was a little dis-heartening bear_sad  However, I am trying to remind myself that there is still a 50/50 chance that Hope is ok.  Maybe she is just confused and afraid, hiding in a small hole somewhere waiting for Lily to find her scent.  The searchers wouldn't see her , and maybe hearing them is making her stay in hiding.  I expect she will only come out for her maaaaaa  .  It's just as possible as the alternative right   :pray:  :pray:  :pray:  ???  It's the not knowing that is tearing at my heartstrings .  I've shed lots of tears for this dear little soul and Lily today bear_cry

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Thoughts and ramblings because I guess I need to somehow try relieve the anxiety/sadness I've felt since Friday.  Having watched and kept up with the Lily/Hope story since January - as many of you have - it's remarkable how personally and emotionally involved we became with these special bears.  The education and knowledge that this experience has given me, thanks to Dr. Rogers, Sue Mansfield, and all those associated with NABC, has been priceless.  Because we've been a part of Lily's and Hope's lives, learning up close and personal the ways of black bears, I think perhaps we've developed a connection that is based on our human experience and what we know of human emotions.  I almost feel as if the bears are a part of my extended family, so have grieved along with the rest of you and can't keep the tears from falling.  This . . . even though I know they are wild animals, do not think or behave as a human would, are subject to the dangers/conditions that are always present in their environment, and have not one inkling that I adore them and want them to always be safe.  Never ever did I envision the possibility of Hope not becoming an adult bear and living to an old age . . . also Lily.  Nothing bad would happen to these special animals because they are very loved by so many people who have invested lots of time, and in some cases lots of money, to have the privilege of watching - being a part of - the fascinating life of bears in the wild.   

No doubt, having the den cam and giving updates on the bears' activities has been an invaluable way to spread   knowledge and dispel old beliefs about how the animals behave and live.  I have learned so much.  If the researchers choose to do the same with a particular bear during the next hibernation/pregnancy, will I opt to spend hours every day glued to the computer for months?  Will I want to risk getting overly attached to more bears and possibly, again, go through the pain that I experience now?  I don't know.  But I definitely respect and admire all those dedicated people at NABC for their diligence and effort to teach us about black bears and, maybe, a little about ourselves.  They must have feelings about losing animals by whatever means and it must happen rather frequently.  I'm not sure I could have continued for 40 years and I'm in awe of their tenacity.

If you've read this far, wow, I'm impressed.  You have a great attention span for blah blah blah blah.  Well, maybe I feel a little better.  Just needed to "feel" out loud, I suppose.  Thanks for your indulgence.   Wherever you might be, Baby Hope, we love you.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Living in black bear country myself I saw a sight this morning that left me both happy and in tears. I saw a momma bear cross a semi busy country road while the 5 or so cars near by slowed to a stop (we do that here... see wildlife and every one comes to a screaching halt to watch until they are totally out of sight) and shortly two little cubs came waddling across the road behind her. It's was just so precious to see. They seemed to be trying to chase eachother and play at the same time they crossed the road, not a care in the world. Mom disappeared in the woods while the little ones continued their silliness at the edge of the road. Just so adorable!

Then I remembered Hope.....

There's just so much we never knew and still don't know about how wildlife lives, behaves, what's normal, what's not.... and unfortunately and also fortunately we are learning with the experts so don't have answers until things have unfolded. We have to be prepared for things to happen differently and animals to behave differently than they would in the human world. I really hope Hope is OK though. She's introduced us to so many new and facinating things... her job has only just begun.

I keep checking too.... and not giving up Hope....

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

WOW...... I am cautiously excited at the newsflash that someone spotted a lone bear cub in the area .  The research team is there looking for the cub that they think may be Hope.  This was confirmed  on Facebook by someone who just spoke to Sue Mansfield.   I just pray that it is her,  it will be heartbreaking to have this glimmer of hope and it not be her, or that they can't find the cub.

Teddy Tales My Teddy Tales
Massachusetts

I just heard that it was Hope, there looking for her now, they said she was vigorious and running, so it shows she is fine, they put milk under the tree in hopes she goes back to that spot. I know she's fine and will be in her momma's arms soon!

Bear Hugs,
and prayers for Hope!

Louise

Woodbury Park Bears Woodbury Park Bears
Central Coast New South Wales

Please  :pray:  :pray:  let it be Hope.

puca bears puca bears

I just got up and logged into FB..........OMG - now I can hardly see thru happy HOPEful tears..........just knowing that it's more than likely little Hope, and that she's alive.
Looks like I won't be stirring much from the computer today.........
huggies
Maria (? lots of this soon :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance: )

Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Dear Sue Ann,

Yes, I have a good attention span for the blah blah!!!    bear_grin    Joking aside, your post brought tears to my eyes (for the umpteenth time this week) and it's good to have a good "old ramble" and get your thoughts and emotions out.  It has been extremely easy to fall in love with these wonderful bears and I agree with everything you said.

I do think though that if there is to be another web cam next year following the lives of other little bears, we would all be doing exactly the same thing all over again and watching their movements enthusiastically and wishing them well ...  and falling in love with them all over again.  Who could possibly resist.

I couldn't sleep properly last night and just had to get up to see if there was any good news.  I sincerely hope the phone call about the possible sighting of Hope was for real and not just some joker.  I'm still trying to be positive though, ...  a big emphasis on "trying"!

So let's all send out massive positive vibes for Hope and Lily today.
Sorry Sue Ann, I'm a rambler too!!!
Ooh, just a little thought ... how about changing this thread title to "Hope, where are you?"  bear_wub  It may just help!!

Big hugs, :hug:  :hug:

Marilyn x bear_flower

puca bears puca bears

Your Blah blah was GREAt Sue Ann - put into words what my numbed brain couldn't do.........
but now the news is so much better - we know Hope is alive ( :dance:  :dance:  :dance: )............I imagine it's not going to be easy to find her, but even if she does start to eat the food they are putting out, it will be a start. As for reuniting Hope and Lily, I have silly visions of attaching a lead to Lily and walking her over to the cub - yeah right! As if................!!!!!!!!!!! :crackup: I have enough problems with Nounours if she does NOT want to follow.
And next winter? I'll be watching again.....if one of the bears is considerate enough to den somewhere where they can use a den cam - only next time, I'll make sure the computer corner is really comfy!
big huggies
Maria :hug:  :hug:

Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Wow Maria, we must be on the same wavelength!  Just a few minutes ago I was wondering if it was possible to entice Lily by way of "grapes" into the area where they think Hope is, then hopefully she would be able to track down Hope's scent and hey presto!  All things are easily solved in my brain, but less so in the big wide world.

You just can't stop thinking about it all though ..........

Hugs

Marilyn x

Board footer