Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Barling Bears Barling Bears
Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Hi everyone,

Well, I think it's just got to be my age or something, but I have a little amusing tale of what happened to me this afternoon which I think you will find funny   .....

We often have quite a lot of wildlife in our garden, especially plenty of young birds at this time of the year.  Well, after a trip to the dentists today, I emerged with a numb face and so, feeling a bit lost and not in the mood for bearmaking,  was at home looking at my garden from my kitchen window.  I suddenly spied a little dark shape at the end of the garden under a bush tucked up right against the fencing.  We have had a few young fluffy little birds in such places, being ordered to keep quiet while their parents rushed about looking for food for them.  Well, I didn't want to frighten the poor little thing off but was also worried because we have two local cats who are often parading around our garden and who also hide under bushes to try to catch the birds, so I decided that I would a mother hen and "baby sit" this little bird and make sure it came to no harm.

I watched this little shape for some time, wondering when on earth the parents would return to feed it, then thought about the cat situation again.  Maybe I should be prepared incase a cat came into the garden; should I try and remove the bird?; had I got a shoe box to pop it in for safety?; if I was too late, which vet was open tonight?; what would I feed it on if I needed to look after it overnight?  Questions, questions, questions! 

Well, I kept watching on and off, and this went on for about an hour and a half. 
I then had the brainwave of maybe taking a photo of it, was it a Thrush or a baby Blackbird that I could see? 

So I got my camera, focused on the "bird", .........      strange, just couldn't see it properly    ...........      Checked again by eye, ... yes, it was still there.   Went back to look through the camera     .....      where the dickens was it???    No sign of any bird.       

Then it dawned on me ........

I had been baby sitting and watching a knot-hole in the fencing all the time!!!!   :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Hugs and smiles,

Marilyn bear_flower

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

:crackupThat is a good one, I am sure I would be the same way :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Oh, Marilyn!  :crackup:  Thank you for the laugh! That sounds exactly like something I'd do! Shapes and dark spots in our woods are always animals to me... even when they're not. I love to watch the wildlife too so I think for me its wishful thinking! I'm often disappointed after calling hubby to the window... or even out into the back yard... when he snickers at me and my imagination!

You've made my day! And I'm sure your fence appreciated being looked after!  bear_grin

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

:crackup:  Well, hey, it kept you out of mischief for the afternoon  bear_laugh

Karon Posts: 751

Oh I like that story  :crackup:

Lovethosebears Yorkshire

:crackup:  Very funny   :crackup:   :crackup:  But it does sound like something I would do  bear_grin

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

OMG!!!!  That is too funny   :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

boohbears Booh Bears
Glendale, Arizona
Website

Thank you for the good laugh, Marilyn!   Such a kind heart you have to spend that much time worrying over a baby bird - even though it wasn't a baby bird!
Hugs,
Janice

suejennings TeddyBuys
Kent
Website

Hi Marilyn

It must be the day for strange experiences! About half an hour ago, I went upstairs to the loo to 'spend a penny'. There was something large and dark brown lurking in there.  I strutted down the stairs and told 'him indoors' in no uncertain terms to go straight upstairs and sort out the toilet.  He sheepishly went up the stairs.  A moment later, he called down.  'There's a bird in the toilet'.  He fished it out and it is outside drying off at the moment.  Poor little chap must have flown in the window, decided he wanted a drink, then couldn't get out.  I really need stronger glasses and I suppose I'll have to apologise to my long-suffering other half!

Regards

Sue

amber Honey Valley Bears
Toronto

Marilyn and Sue

Thanks for the laugh.  That is just wonderful.  We've all done silly things at one time or another, it's always nice to share, then at least you know you aren't silly all on your own.

Amber

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  Wonderful stories, girls . . . and yes, I can see both situations happening to me.

New Avenue Crew New Avenue Crew by Debora Hoffmann
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Website

Oh, Marilyn!  :crackup: This is so funny but so sweet of you to look out after the baby "bird." bear_laugh And Sue, oh, my!  bear_smile So glad the bird is OK. I have some issues with my sight, too, girls, and I have to use a big magnifier lamp while stitching bears' noses. I think you've given me some good reasons to always wear my glasses. bear_grin

~Debora

EvaJ EJ's Crafts
Fort Mohave, Arizona

Wonderful stories, Marilyn and Sue.   :crackup:  :crackup:  I really needed a good laugh today and I know that I would have done the same thing as you, as my eyesite isn't the best.

eteddys eTeddys
Phoenix, AZ
Website

I am famous for yelling, deer or elk while driving down dirt roads.  My husband always slams on the brakes and most of the time it's a big rock.   bear_wacko One time I really did see a momma and baby javelina though.  He was glad he slammed on the breaks for that one.  : )

Hugs,
Alison

danceswithteddybears Dances With Teddy Bears
Pacific Northwest

Really funny!
Thanks for a good laugh
though, I must admit to have watched a rock or two
but never a fence knot..  :crackup:

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Oh Marilyn, you crack me up. What on earth was in that face numbing injection????  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin
How kind of you to be so concerned about the knot-hole in you fence, bless you. Funny farm next stop.  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin

Hugs, Jane.  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

emmastephens Emma Stephens Crafty Creations
Gloucestershire

Hahaha brilliant!
I was having a very dull day at work and your story of wishful thinking has put a smile on my face.
I'm forever doing daft things like that too :P

Emma
xxx

Barling Bears Barling Bears
Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Hi there,

Aawww, thank you so much for your comments on my loony afternoon with that "bird"!!  I am pleased it made you all laugh! :crackup:

I laugh every time I think about it!

Sue,,  your little episode in the loo tickled me too! :crackup:  I'm pleased the bird was able to cool down and didn't look "flushed".  :crackup:  Sorry, my weird sense of humour!!

As for me, when my hubby came home last night, I pointed to the area of the garden causing my "mistake"  and asked him what he could see.

"Knot hole", he replied.

Some people have no imagination!!!  :crackup:

Hugs to all,

Marilyn  bear_flower

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Dear Marilyn: That was too funny!!!  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp

What a great story, Marilyn, I can just picture you being all excited about your "find"  bear_laugh
But wasn't it lovely that you were already planning how to take care of the little bird; I'm sure you were hoping you could raise him yourself !  bear_tongue

Sue, luckily you didn't sit down on the loo before you noticed the bird.  You would have been in for a nasty shock !  bear_grin

I doubt there is any hope for you, but doesn't it feel good to be completely silly sometimes ??  bear_wacko

Hugs,

Peter & the bears

puca bears puca bears

Oh Marilyn.......your ARE so nice! I probably would have done the same thing too........I'm pretty good at stupid!
you wouldn't believe how long it took me,  after 8 years in Australia, to keep an eye on the side of the road at night, for kangaroos! and yes - I "saw" quite a few! And then there was the time I decided I had to rescue a LARGE buzzard which was flapping round on the ground and looking injured.............took my jacket off to catch him (and steeled myself).......and to my intense relief, he flew off.............
big hugs
Maria

Board footer