Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

MadScientwist Posts: 65

I am almost done my second and third bears...but I noticed they are looking up. The heads were straight when I attached them, but it seems as I make the eye sockets and put the eyes on a dimple forms in the back of the head...I know that is supposed to happen but this dimple is what is making them look up. Is this a typical problem? Any ideas how I can fix it?
Thanks!

BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC

I soft sculpt before I attach the head... maybe try stuffing a bit more firmly at the back of the head?  bear_original

Kimberly W.

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

I thread the eyes, pulling the threads out at the base of the open neck, then insert the joint and sew it in, and, using that for tension, tie off the eye threads.  They don't seem to look up.  I also stuff my heads very firmly though

I think I will try doing the eyes before I attach the head...I think that will work. I think I am stuffing the heads enough, I think it maybe my sculpting. Thanks for the suggestions! Doing it before I attach the head is so simple I didn't even think of it!

BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC
rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

Have you got some position eyes?  They really help with sculpting etc, to see what the end result will look like.  You can get them from a number of bear supply places, and I couldn't live without them now

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Another thing you might try, Brittany, is move the hole in the neck (where the head bolt/cotter pin joins the head to the neck) forward a little.  This will lower the head position.

Yeah that is what I thought...I've made three bears...all three with slightly different positions...and all three look up. Like I said though they didn't look up until after I made my eye sockets. Maybe I just didn't move the joint enough? or I was thinking maybe my neck is too small and once the dimple is in the back of the head, there is nothing to support it. I wish I could show you what I mean but I don't think even a picture would help. But the suggestions are helping by giving me more to think about...Thanks!

Something funny though...I keep trying to fix my bear heads and my sister doesn't want me to change them. She likes that they are looking up and thinks it gives them a curious, cute look to their expressions. She told me I wasn't allowed to change them, maybe this mistake will work out to give some more character to my bears?

Board footer