Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Clarebear Fulrfun Bears
Alice Springs

OK so this is what I want to do:  legs that have a front and a back rather than two side pieces.  If I manage this then how do I do the feet?  and what about the footpads?  And will it work if I put the joint through the seam (if I can get this sorted)  any suggestions will be most welcome. Thank you all in anticipation of your speedy responses!

BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC

Hmm, I have never tried doing a front/back leg pattern... I can only imagine that the foot would have to be a separate piece, kinda like you see on lambskin boots or [SPAM]...? I don't know if that helps at all, though! bear_original As for the seam and the joint - I have a technique book that details cutting a slit where the joint is going to be placed, and inserting that way, then stitching it back up with a ladder stitch... strange (to me) but I guess it can be done!

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

It is a very strange thing Claire, I was having these same thoughts this afternoon while I was sewing feet.  I would think you would design them very much as you do arms.  I was thinking if I designed the foot straight kind of like a front paw then I would add a heavy wire to make the bend of the foot.  The foot would have more movement that way wouldn't it.  As far as foot pads go I use leather which I applique on after the sewing so I would just apply that as always.   Interesting thought. 
As far as jointing.  I would not poke a hole through a seam, it would have to sit a little off.   Really if you wire or use some kind of armature the leg could be turned so the foot would sit right and you could joint the leg just as you would joint the arm, make sense?

I don't know if this is what you are thinking but this is where my mind was this afternoon.

Joanne

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

I have done legs like this...before sewing them together I took a dart at the "ankle" point.  Then sew the foot pad on as normal.

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA
lovenshire wrote:

I have done legs like this...before sewing them together I took a dart at the "ankle" point.  Then sew the foot pad on as normal.

Didn't even think about dart,  I like that.  Were you happy, would you change things?  Were you able to get the foot to sit front?

Joanne

suejennings TeddyBuys
Kent
Website

In the past, for a standing bear, I have used a crescent shape for the upper foot, with a standard base for the foot.  Not the easiest to explain, but worked very well.  I have attached a photo which I hope give an idea of the appearance of the foot.

Regards

Sue
polar_foot.jpg

Missouri
Website

Yes, the dart worked great...wish I could show you but it is just at the ankle...do not take any out of the side seams...just a half circle.  The foot turned out great.  I could even put baby shoes on her.

Clarebear Fulrfun Bears
Alice Springs

I must be missing something obvious here.  I looked at the photo but it looked like a 'normal' leg to me with a seam down the front.  If I am wrong blame it on my eyesight!  I don't know if I even explained what I am trying to do very well - rather than have a seam down the front of the leg I want it at the side of the leg but I can't get my head around it.  Please keep posting ideas - I may eventually get it.
Thank you all.

Missouri
Website

Yes Claire, that is exactly the way this leg was.  I did not want the seam in the front.  Soooooooo, straight front leg, dart at ankle and voila...

EvaJ EJ's Crafts
Fort Mohave, Arizona

I have never tried in on a bear but some of the dolls I do have side seams and an added pieces on the front for the foot.  It is basically a crescent shape and then the foot pad is put on.

Clarebear Fulrfun Bears
Alice Springs

Can anyone post a diagram?  That may help me as I now don't get the crescent shape or the dart!  Sorry to be such a klutz.

suejennings TeddyBuys
Kent
Website

Hope this image clarifies the shape of the upper foot.  The ultimate shape is dependent on the required shape of the footpad.  For the polar bear in the image in the earlier post, the end of the footpad was slightly squarer than in the image to allow for the insertion of claws across the foot.

Regards

Sue
upper_foot.jpg

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

Hi,

recently I made a bear with next to no seam at the front of his arms by patttern draping: I made a clay replica of the limb and then used tissue paper to work out the necessary dart locations bear_original Maybe that would help you make your ideal arm? Don't forget to reinforce the seam if you'll be putting a joint through it though!

Missouri
Website

Mine did not have the extra piece...the toe was rounded like that but the whold leg was straight and the dart was where the half circle cut out is on that piece. As for putting the joint through the seam...I marked the seam where the joint went and reinforced each side of it and left out a couple of stitches so there was a small hole for the joint.

Clarebear Fulrfun Bears
Alice Springs

Thank you all.  I must be very patternly challenged 'cos I still don't get it.  I am going to try the pattern draping though i figure that by doing that I will get a visual at least and i may go and revisit some cloth doll patterns.  I am very much a visual person and have real problems translating script into pictures!  I really do appreciate all of your help though.  Thanks again.

Board footer