Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

P1030210tt.jpgP1030209tt.jpgThis is Matteo, and as you can probably see, I had a lot of fun making him. (I don't think there's another like him anywhere in nature.  bear_grin )

He stands just over 15" tall (about 38cm) and is made from two colors of mohair from two different countries (German Helmbold and English Norton).

He's listed on Bearpile. I hope you'll take a peek! http://www.bearpile.com/detail.cgi?id=1414&item=39214

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

What a handsome bear.  I love the combination of colors.

Joanne

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Thank you, Joanne, and I hope you take it as "the sincerest form of flattery": I tried your technique of mohair strands rooted in a needle-felted base. (That's how I made the eye details.)

It's definitely secure and creates a natural-looking effect, but I can see why the bear-making world isn't doing it en masse. It gives a whole new meaning to "time-consuming"!  bear_tongue

Anyway, thank you for the idea.  bear_flower

Becky

donatel Berlin
Website

What a nice bear!  bear_wub

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA
dangerbears wrote:

Thank you, Joanne, and I hope you take it as "the sincerest form of flattery": I tried your technique of mohair strands rooted in a needle-felted base. (That's how I made the eye details.)

It's definitely secure and creates a natural-looking effect, but I can see why the bear-making world isn't doing it en masse. It gives a whole new meaning to "time-consuming"!  bear_tongue

Anyway, thank you for the idea.  bear_flower

Becky

LOL!  I agree 100%.  I will say though that it gets faster.  Used to be about 1" an hour.  I have increased my speed.  Not for the easily bored though.  Glad you tried, thanks for letting me know.

Joanne

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

Aww, he's fab, love those 'eyebrows'

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp

Hi Becky,

I must admit that I had felt some hesitation, when I first saw Matteo : he is a very unusual bear !

But I have seen him several times now and he is starting to grow on me :  the colour combination is really excellent and I also love the way the foot and pawpads match the colour of his nose  bear_thumb .   He has a lovely expression and the fur looks absolutely gorgeous.  bear_wub

But there is one thing that still bothers me a little (I hope you won't mind me saying this) : the pink eyes are a bit too much for me (but you know me : I am a very old-fashioned fuddy duddy)  bear_rolleyes   

Hugs,  :hug:

Peter & Vincent

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
Peter wrote:

I must admit that I had felt some hesitation, when I first saw Matteo : he is a very unusual bear !

bear_grin I completely understand. He's the only one of his species, and I hope the right person finds him and loves him.

I appreciate your thoughts on the eyes, and the eyes were the beginning of Matteo's whole personality. At first, everything I tried was getting lost in the dark brown fur, so I thought some eyebrow patches - like the ones real bears have - might look good. Well, those developed into the magnificent growths you see here.  :crackup:  Then, I bought three colors of eyes in the size I needed - black, smoky olive, and the mauve starburst (just on a whim). When I tried the different colors on his face, the more normal colors didn't seem to give him any expression at all. But with the pink eyes, he came alive! (It's a bit mad, I know, but I was in an experimenting kind of mood.)

I'm really glad you shared your thoughts, Peter. Since I also love the old-fashioned bears, Matteo was a bit of a surprise to me, too. But he's grown on me as well - kind of a special boy.

Hugs,  :hug:
Becky

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

bear_wub Great bear, I have a great, great, nephew named Matteo, he is 4 years old and a Q-T.  Your bear is quite nice and I love the colors.
Thanx for sharing
Hugs Pat

Board footer